Which Vera Bradley tote?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

I can't use a leather briefcase for school, as per doctor's orders; they're simply too heavy.

So, instead of last year's Disney tote, I'm thinking of getting a VB tote.

Here's my question-- which size/style works well for you? I don't care about the pattern; I'll shop the website for what's discontinued. But I'm unsure about the style, and haven't had the chance to hit the stores to see what they really look like. I would love a starting point of opinions from here.

I'm thinking maybe:
    http://www.verabradley.com/product/...Make Me Blush/pc/785/p/1000945/sc/729/c/0.uts

http://www.verabradley.com/product/...r/Totally Turq/pc/785/p/154816/sc/729/c/0.uts

http://www.verabradley.com/product/...82/pageSize/20/sc/729/c/0/currentIndex/20.uts

http://www.verabradley.com/product/...82/pageSize/20/sc/729/c/0/currentIndex/40.uts (minus the changing pad :) )

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

I like the first one--I like to be able to put my bag over my shoulder if I have other things in my hands, and I tend to like a "squarer" bag rather than one that is more shaped.

4. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I like the look and all the pockets of the first bag. The third one is cute too, but I think the first one may be more practical.

5. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

I agree with MrsC and would choose bag #1. I like the looks of the messenger style bag #2 but the flap would just get in the way. I like direct access to putting things in/taking things out.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

The first one looks the best. I had one style that I didn't really like because it didn't fit binders very well (the top of the bag was really narrow).

I have a really big one now (not sure what the style is), but I love it because I can cram a lot of junk in it, along with my school laptop. I hate having to haul the laptop seperately, so this works perfectly for me! All my VB bags have been very durable!

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

I have the messenger bag that you posted, and I love it. It's got lots of pockets inside and out, and I can fit a ton into it. Plus, I can wear it across my body if I need to. I highly recommend it.

A bag that I've used before is the VERA tote bag. If you have lots of stuff to carry every day, It's a great one. It can hold a ton, and it's got more pockets on the inside than any other tote bag.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

9. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

This is definitely not my area of expertise, but my wife took a look at them and said she really liked the first one.

For whatever that's worth :)

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

I think the first one will be your best bet. I'll have to go tomorrow and see what my local Vera store has in stock. I especially like the black and white one, but it's not on sale.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

I am in the minority who love the last bag. Actually, I like them all. I carry a lot of folders stuffed full of ungraded papers and I think the shape of the last one would work well.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

I have a bag like the first one and I love it for going back and forth. The handle is comfortable and it fits notebooks and larger things that I need to tote. The best part about it for me is that it fits nicely in my bike basket. I ride my bike on days that it doesn't rain.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

I liked the first one best.

14. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

My daughter has the first one and can stuff quite a lot in it. Plus it hangs on the back of chairs easily.

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

I personally love a messenger bag. I love that it holds a ton, but stays organized. And I love to sling it across my body to keep my hands free for other things.

16. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

I like the Charleston bag, its cheaper and looked good. I am not sure on space. TO be honest I had never even heard of Vera Bradley until today and now I think I want a bag. Hope you find the one that is best for you.

17. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

I like the first bag.......I have sooo many vera bradley bags.....four bags just for school

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

I agree that is more my style than the others. Having said that, I would want a bag that has a wide mouth, somewhat roomy without looking oversize. I'm also in the market for one & have my eye on one that is currently on e-bay, it's also VB but the shape is duffel & the material is a laminated pattern. I like this bag because I can put my electronics i.e. mini laptop, camera, phone, etc & folders, papers & also the laminate would make it easy to wipe clean. Here's what it looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230504128327&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:1123

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

I've had A LOT of Vera stuff from the 80's to current day. I'm pretty sure I've had one of every kind of tote they've ever made.

The flap on the messenger bag bugs me. It's too hard to get into quickly. The baby bag was just too big. I found the "Vera" bag to be too big, too. (It's not one you listed either.) Their

I always loved the old "Metropolitan" bag, but not the new style Metropolitan. The large backpack is a nice school bag, too. And the "Weekender" luggage piece is really roomy and a lot like the baby bag. I had it for luggage, not a school bag.

I find a lot of the old style pieces on eBay. I get retired colors and styles on there all the time. I've been disappointed in the quality of the bags in the last 10 years or so. I buy mostly the older styles, although I'm still temped to get some new ones here and there.

20. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

I think I would go with one of the first two. I have the first one and love it! It was a gift that my husband refused to use for our son as a baby. So it became my school bag. It works wonderful!

21. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

I'm a newbie regarding VB & would love to see some of their earlier collection. What older styles do you recommend checking out?

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

23. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

It does not zip closed.

However, Lands End has some great totes that zip closed and they're awesome. Plus, you can have them monogrammed.

I used to have a Vera bag and never had a problem with things falling out on snowy mornings here. It's deep enough that there will be about 3-4 inches on top of whatever you put in it.

24. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

25. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

27. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

28. MoreToLearn

MoreToLearn Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

I'm from Indiana (really close to where the Vera Bradley company started! I was just talking to someone today about Vera Bradley and I was wondering how far spread it's popularity is. It's very big here, but I thought that was like some kind of local pride. I am impressed and happy for the Vera Bradley company that so many people all over love it. :)

29. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I, too vote for the VERA tote! It's great! I have had the same one for several years and have carried a ton! Also, if you aren't carrying a lot, it doesn't still look bulky.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 1, 2010

I'm part of what seems like an overwhelming majority that prefers the first bag.

I didn't like the LLBean and LandsEnd bags because the handles were too short. I like a bag that I can put over my shoulder if I want to.

31. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

Here's what I'd recommend. Go to the Retired Colors section at the Vera Bradley site. It lists them by retired year. Then go to eBay and type in "Vera Bradley" and the color name. You can see some of the styles there. Sometimes the bags have the same name, but they've been redesigned.

I have every single thing they made in Classic Green. I have 10 of those bags that make good tote bags.

33. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

34. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

My vote is for "Door number 2"

35. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I'd go with the first one. I have a messenger bag and it's not good for much more than a laptop. I have one of the older Vera style totes (Vera is the actual name of the style) and it's the perfect teacher bag!

36. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

I have the messenger bag, and I love it. It has 2 side pockets, which are tight enough so that if you put a cell phone in one of them, it won't fall out. I put my door key in the other.

The inside is roomy enough for some 8" x 11" stacks of paper and even a book or two.

There are some pockets inside also. It opens up big enough so that you can see to the bottom if you are trying to find something.

And it hangs nice off the shoulder.

I have it in a discontinued pattern (scarlet), and got it on sale. I love the color and the pattern. I also bought a small wristlet to go inside, or to grab when I go into the grocery store. You can attach your car keys to the wristlet.

http://www.verabradley.com/product/.../Make Me Blush/pc/638/p/154832/sc/645/c/0.uts

37. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

This place is local here- and I know some people that have gone here- but you can do it online I think.

http://www.1154lill.com/shop.axd/Design+Your+Own+Bag

Not sure the price of all- but it is a unique thing that I just remembered now.

Edit : - N/M it is much more expensive than I remembred.

38. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I bought a black VB quilted baby bag 4 years ago that I use as my book bag. The best part is the inside has that vinyl coating, designed to hold bottles and baby stuff, and its easy to clean out. It was about $100, but I have carried two teacher textbooks along with tests and other paperwork inside it. It doesn't even look like a baby bag, I just tossed the changing pad that came with it.

39. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

We've had VB here in Southern Ohio/N East KY for quite a while, it comes and goes in 'fads'

40. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.