Which vaccine did you get? Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces, Mar 25, 2021.

1. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jul 31, 2021

I got Pfizer, one of my friends got Moderna -- the side effects were pretty much the same. One dose will cause muscle soreness in your arm, one dose will probably knock you on your butt for a day or two. If you've already had COVID, the first dose is likely to be the knock-you-on-your-butt dose because your immune system already recognizes it and kicks into gear sooner. I was down for a day after dose 2; very low grade fever (like... barely 99) and super tired. I slept all day. My husband was about the same (also Pfizer). Some other friends of mine who had gotten COVID were out for a day or two after their first doses. It was on par with mild flu or cold.
    My friend who got the Moderna vaccine I think had a slightly longer downtime, but it was still in the range of a day or two.

There's also been some indication that the vaccine helps with recovery from any long-COVID symptoms. If your case was mild, you might not have that to worry about, but I'd definitely say get the shot ASAP because mild first cases have generally seen much worse 2nd cases from other variants, and Delta is looking terrible.

Edit to add: Moderna is a much larger dose than Pfizer, which is possibly why the side effects tend to be more intense. Still, at this point I think it's better to get anything available than to be picky about the brand. They all work.

Yes, J&J is Janssen (I think it's like specific brand of overarching company?). It's still highly effective at preventing serious infection and death, but seems to be less effective against variant strains like Delta. I think they're doing some trials with 2nd doses that are proving effective, but I'm not sure where those are at in terms of actually doing boosters for J&J yet.

Overall difference:
    Pfizer and Moderna use mRNA to give your body a blueprint of the virus.
    J&J is a more "typical" vaccine that uses modified cold virus to imitate COVID.
    Both are highly effective, both are very successful at preventing infection, especially serious/life-threatening infection and death.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

2. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 1, 2021

Thank you ! This is very helpful.

miss-m likes this.
  3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Aug 2, 2021

I got Moderna. The second dose was one month after the first. My kids got Pfizer. The second dose for that is three weeks. I got what I could as soon as I could. But if I had known, and both were equally available, I'd have done Pfizer just to get through the regimen a bit quicker.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2021

Yeah, I assumed my non-dominant arm would best.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2021

The 1st shot, my arm was sore a teeny bit for a day or 2. I kind of thought: What a bunch of wooses who complained of arm pain b/c it was so mild. :) Within a few minutes of shot 2, it felt like someone had punched me HARD in the arm for a couple of days. I didn't have any side effects though.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 3, 2021

I think a sore arm is not the worst side effects. I have heard of people not being able to get out of bed due to lethargy and headaches. I have a very high pain tolerance so as long as I don't have to do anything strenuous I can deal with a sore arm. The only reason I ended up getting it was because by the middle of September my school will be requiring it so I figured I might as well get it over with.

7. Tired Teacher

Aug 3, 2021

Oh, definitely not a bad side effect, for sure! I was very thankful! A friend of mine was wiped out with side effects for a few days. ( Headaches, achy, tired, and more.) Then her sore arm really blew up into something they call Covid Arm. I felt so bad for her b/c she has a high pain tolerance too, but it kicked her butt for 2-3 days and her arm was really painful.

8. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Aug 8, 2021

Get either Pfizer or Moderna. It's mRNA and good for several viruses, including the Delta variant. You can do a bit of reading on it and compare it to J&J, which is a traditional vaccine. Just Google it and you'll find plenty of (reliable) info.

9. LauraW

LauraW Rookie

Sep 7, 2021

Moderna

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 9, 2021

Yikes. My arm was sore for maybe a day and a half and the morning after my 2nd shot I had a slight fever but I just stayed home and did nothing (great excuse to do nothing :p).

11. Muffymay

Muffymay Rookie

Oct 19, 2021

I got Pfizer, but still got Covid. Neither one had much effect on me, though.

12. Tired Teacher

Oct 19, 2021

Oh, I am sorry. I never knew you got Covid too.

13. Muffymay

Muffymay Rookie

Oct 19, 2021

Yes, I had it about a month ago. Only bad thing was the quarantine!

14. Tired Teacher

Oct 19, 2021

Well, That is good news that you did not have severe effects. A friend of mine has it now, but is feeling well. She only found out b/c she was flying to Hawaii and needed tested. ( Had to cancel the trip!)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 20, 2021

Anyone get a 3rd shot yet?

16. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Oct 20, 2021

I’m glad you had vaccine protection when you got COVID.

17. Tired Teacher

Oct 20, 2021

The Moderna 1 is not available yet and I won't be eligible for it right away.

18. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Oct 20, 2021

Planning on it this weekend. I've been fortunate so far to (somehow) not get covid, though my husband and I have both had a couple scares and been tested a few times each. That said, I'm still ready for my booster. There are 600+ kids at my school and while my district is requiring masks and at least an attempt at distancing, I'm not cohorted as an aide and I interact with probably close to half the school on a daily basis.

19. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Oct 20, 2021

I got Moderna. First shot- tired and took a nap on the couch for a couple hours. Arm sore. Second shot- very tired, a little nauseous, achy, spent the afternoon in bed. Arm sore.

I’m getting the booster tomorrow since I have an underlying health issue. I hear it’s a half dose. Others who have had it said they have had no reaction.

20. GraceKrispy

GraceKrispy Rookie

Oct 20, 2021

I'm getting the booster later today. Most educators in my area have had their booster now.

Colliemom likes this.
  21. Muffymay

Muffymay Rookie

Oct 20, 2021

I haven't gotten the booster yet. The more I think about it, the less sure I am about these additional shots. Will there be an end to them? How long until we supposedly need a fourth, fifth, sixth, into infinity shot?

22. Singvogel

Singvogel Rookie

Oct 21, 2021

We had no choice. It was "take what you get." I got Pfizer.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 21, 2021

If I get it I hope I have no reaction. I was lucky to be off from work the day after I got the last 2 because I wouldn't have been able to make it through the day.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 21, 2021

I waited until they were more readily available in my area. I just picked the closest pharmacy and they happened to have Moderna. I wasn't picky but had to get it by a certain date because of my job.

25. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Oct 21, 2021

How are you feeling, GraceKrispy?

26. LaFish

LaFish Rookie

Oct 21, 2021

I received the Pfizer in my left arm a couple of months ago. My arm was sore and I was tired after the first shot. Second shot was no problem. It’s not time for me to receive a booster yet. In the meantime I did get my flu shot.

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2021

I suspect that given the propensity that this virus has shown to form variants that are just as likely to cause serious illness and/or death, I'm guessing that this virus will require annual booster shots, very much like the influenza virus, to maintain immunity against the disease. Given the grim outcome, booster shots seem like a small price to pay for good health.

Colliemom likes this.
  28. GraceKrispy

GraceKrispy Rookie

Oct 22, 2021

It was worse than either of my first two shots. Headache, major fatigue, chills, feeling a little weak. Sore arm as well, but that was the same as last time. Luckily it only lasted a day or so!

playpower likes this.
  29. luvtulearn

luvtulearn Rookie

Oct 23, 2021

I'm glad you are feeling better GraceKrispy

30. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Oct 23, 2021

I got my Pfizer booster shot and my flu shot on the same day. I got both about eight days ago, on a Friday after school. I figured since the CDC said getting both shots together was okay, I would do it. The day after my shots I had worse symptoms than either of my other Covid shots. I had a fever of 101.5 all morning, aches, chills, a migraine, nausea, vomiting, and dizzyness all day. I slept all day. I also usually get a mild allergic reaction to the flu shot, so I developed hives about 24 hours after my flu shot.

Was it worth it? Sure. The prior week we had such a sub shortage in the elementary building in my district that I decided right then and there to get a booster.

Grace Krispy, glad you are feeling better. The day after the shot is always the worst.

31. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Oct 23, 2021

Glad you are feeling better, GraceKrispy. My booster was better than the 2nd jab I got but I was still tired, achy, and felt punky for a day.

32. Crazy4cats

Crazy4cats Rookie

Nov 17, 2021

I got the Moderna booster right before Halloween. With my first shot I just felt icky for a couple of days. Super sore arm, though. Second shot felt icky and had a slight fever. I was nauseated for a few days. Booster shot knocked me out. Super sore arm, fever of 102, nauseated, and tired. I didn’t eat anything for two days. Took me about four days to feel back to normal.

The Husband got the Pfizer series. He had absolutely no side effects.

33. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Nov 17, 2021

I got Moderna. No major side effects other than a very sore arm for a couple of days. Also, extreme ravenous hunger after the first shot--was so weird. It last 3 days and then stopped. I was all prepared and stocked up for the second shot, but just had my regular appetite :D

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 18, 2021

I'm worried about the booster. I'm fully prepared to call out sick if I don't feel well afterwards. They are mandating we get it so they will have to deal with me being out.

35. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 18, 2021

I got my first dose of Pfizer shortly before Halloween (I waited until after I had my baby in mid-October, I didn't feel comfortable getting the vaccine while pregnant and my doctor recommended I wait). I am due for my 2nd dose anytime now (I will probably go on Monday in case I have side effects since my husband works Friday-Sunday and I am home with our toddler and newborn alone). I didn't have any side effects other than a sore arm with the first dose.

36. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 18, 2021

Moderna. First shot was absolutely fine. Second shot pretty much slayed me the next day.