Which vaccine did you get? Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Mar 25, 2021

This weekend, my school is having a big event for teachers and their relatives with qualifying medical conditions to get the J&J vaccine. About half of the teachers who already got vaccinated elsewhere got the first dose of Pfizer while very few got Moderna. (For some reason, Pfizer is a lot more popular at CVS and Walgreens, and our local mass vaccination site.)
    I am interested in J&J because it's just one dosage.

If you already got the vaccine, which one did you get? Did you have a preference or just went with whichever one was most readily available?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2021

Moderna has a reputation, locally in NJ, of having some harsh downsides/reactions after the second dose. Some nurses are saying that you definitely need to be drinking Gatorade or another beverage with electrolytes at least every three hours, starting before you get that second shot. My son had it early, and his reactions were fairly sustained for about four days, so I'm inclined to simply throw the advice about making sure you get and continue to get electrolytes into you. My son ran about 103 degree fever during those days, so I can certainly see where that would have been nice advice to have received. Pfizer's second shot, like Moderna's, will elicit more side effects than the initial dose, but more like some people get with a typical flu shot. The Janssen vaccine seems to have fewer side effects, and it is nice to only have one shot to go through. Some experts are a little concerned that the level of immunity may not last as long - that is something that time will tell. If is less of a reason to avoid the vaccine and more of a reason to watch for Janssen to issue clarification going forward. In NJ, wanting a shot far exceeds those actually able to get an appointment, so you get what you can, at least this year, with the hopes that going forward there will be enough vaccine available to actually choose which you receive. Vaccinate in whatever way is made available to you, and just know that the second shots are considered worse than the first, so prepare by making sure you are hydrated, and use Tylenol if there are aches and pains, instead of ibuprophen.

Pisces likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 25, 2021

I’m only half vaccinated with Moderna. Second dose is scheduled in two weeks.

Pisces likes this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 25, 2021

I got Pfizer, fully vaccinated. Just waiting for hubby to get his second dose so we can get out with a few friends again!

Pisces likes this.
  6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Mar 25, 2021

I got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday. I did not shop around, just took what Walgreens offered. Slight fever today, but generally feel fine, and am grateful to be vaccinated.

Pisces and Iris1001 like this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2021

I was in a unique position where I actually did get to choose. When teachers became eligible in my state, I signed up on all of the waiting lists I could. I received two invitations to sign up within minutes of each other- one from my insurance company offering Moderna, and the other from a program my district partnered with offering Pfizer. I chose Pfizer for two main reasons: I'd heard of less severe side effects than Moderna, and with the shots being 3 weeks apart rather than 4, I'd be "fully vaccinated" 1 week earlier. It actually ended up being 2 weeks earlier- we had a HUGE snowstorm the weekend where many teachers had their 2nd Moderna shots scheduled, and their appointments ended up getting pushed back a week. So I was very grateful!

To be clear, if Moderna was all I was offered, I would have happily taken it. I was very happy to get my first dose in just before my state started offering Johnson and Johnson. I would have felt significantly less comfortable with the much lower efficacy rate. I know people say it's not a fair comparison because it was developed later and there were more variants, etc. but we don't really know that. If that's all I could get access to, I would have taken that one as it's certainly much better than nothing, but I wouldn't feel as confident as I do now being fully vaccinated.

Pisces and miss-m like this.
  8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 26, 2021

I got the Moderna vaccine. I am high risk for reaction, so I had to get Moderna. My allergist did a lot of research before telling me which to get. I also had to take 50mg of Benadryl immediately after the injection and stay an hour after for observation.

Pisces likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 26, 2021

If I decide to get it I would try to get the J&J because it's one dose. I haven't seen anywhere to sign up in my area yet for this one.

Pisces likes this.
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2021

I got the Moderna vaccine...that was the only one offered when I received it. I had mild reactions to the first shot but no reaction to the second shot. I was expecting the reactions people have talked about and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't happen.

Pisces likes this.
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 26, 2021

I got Moderna. I didn't have a choice, and I don't know anybody who got a choice of which vaccine. I was happy with it though. Almost no side effects.

Pisces and Tired Teacher like this.
  12. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Mar 27, 2021

I got Pfizer at a pharmacy in Feb. This was before J&J was authorized in the US. I didn't care which one I got - I just wanted the shot!

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2021

I had a choice between Moderna and Pfizer. I wanted the Moderna b/c every1 I knew who had gotten it told me they were fine. The people I knew who had gotten Pfizer had more side effects. It's funny how experiences of people can be so different. After I told a friend my experience with Moderna, she chose it. She had major side effects. I felt so bad for her.

Pisces likes this.
  14. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Mar 29, 2021

I got the pfizer vaccine recently. I had a sore arm similar to the feeling after getting a tetanus shot. Fortunately, I did not get ill.
    I had to travel out of state because every place was booked. Now I get the 2nd dose in about two weeks. I hope that goes well too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  15. pearie

pearie Rookie

Mar 30, 2021

I haven't got any yet... I want to though! Hope it will happen soon. Meanwhile, I have been taking some vitamins and supplements which I get from Canadian pharmacy, for example, and I hope they will help me with my immune system, and will protect me, we'll see...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  16. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 4, 2021

Pfizer! I got it as soon as I was eligible. I had a sore arm and was a little tired but didn't really have any other side effects. I am done!!

17. Tina Harper

Tina Harper New Member

Apr 13, 2021

Pfizer, had a slight fever that evening, and nothing more

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 14, 2021

My husband and I both got Moderna, the two doses, at our local Kroger pharmacy. No appointment, no line, no waiting, no problems, and no aftereffects whatsoever.

Pisces likes this.
  19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2021

I received the Janssen vaccine, since I had received the placebo as a member of their vaccine trial. Keep in mind that I had Covid last year, March and April of 2020. I mention that because I had no reaction of any kind to the vaccine, which is not typical of several people I work with. The primary difference between myself and my coworkers is that I was the only person of the group who had a full blown course of Covid that affected me enough that I basically lost six weeks of my life, I can barely remember anything from the infection other than being totally disoriented, and I know that even after the acute form of the disease, I still had gaps in my memory for another 2-3 months. It seems reasonable that the symptoms others were talking about from the vaccine didn't happen for me, because I already had created immunity to the virus, and the vaccine simply sent the antibody producing cells into the production of antibodies without much fanfare. Most coworkers who got this vaccine had the sore arm, fever/chills, aches and pains, and significant fatigue.

I just shook my head when the information about possible blood clot problems in women was announced 6 days after the vaccination. I know that the chance of me having that more major side-effect is extremely tiny, so I haven't worried about it, but did alert my family doctor, just to have every one on the same page. I am now almost three weeks post vaccination, so thinking that I am probably out of the danger zone. If I could have been vaccinated with any of the vaccines before now, I would have taken any of the three vaccines. Janssen did the right thing, the most honorable thing, by allowing participants to become unblinded, and then offering the vaccine without cost or delay for those who had received the placebo. By following their guidelines, I am now continuing in the trial for the next 18 months, which means that my participation in the study, no matter how small the impact, will continue to have significance. I feel like my participation is important, since I am in an age range where there are fewer people willing to take part. It seems important to me to be able to do something positive, no matter how small, to help us win the war with Covid.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    miss-m likes this.
  20. EvaWillamss

EvaWillamss New Member

May 12, 2021

I got the Pfizer 1st dose so far go get my second one may 15th and I feel good about it

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 13, 2021

I'm in a trial for Novavax. Will get my final shot on Wednesday!

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 17, 2021

Our middle and high school students are getting Pfizer vaccines this week. Staff got the Moderna vaccine in late January.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 17, 2021

Did someone come to the school to give it to you? Or was it just coordinated by your school and all you had to do was show up off campus somewhere? Our school sends us emails about possible sites but that's about it. I heard that almost every pharmacy in our area has them now so I think I will check them out. Previously, it was very difficult in my area to get an appointment and people were traveling to different counties. so I was holding out for somewhere closer.

24. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 17, 2021

That sounds so frustrating.
    My district organized staff appointments at a mass vaccination site in the county. I live in a different county than the district so I was on a few different waiting lists, but I told my principal I wanted the vaccine, she put me on the district list, and I got an email a week or so later that said “your appointment is tomorrow, don’t miss it.”

Since I’m on FMLA it was good that I was still checking my email regularly or I would have missed it

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 17, 2021

It's interesting how different districts/schools are handling it. I'm not in a huge rush but I want to get it soon because of the new mask guidelines.

miss-m likes this.
  26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 17, 2021

The local health department set up in the high school gym, and each school had a scheduled time to go. They used an online form to sign us up.

For the kids, they are coming to the both middle and high schools. Kids took permission slips home. It seems to have gone smoothly.

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 18, 2021

They came to our school to vaccinate faculty in March, and a few weeks ago to vaccinate any students 18 or older who wanted the vaccine, and are hoping to come back next week to get any other students who want to get vaccinated. Next week is the last week of school, so that makes it more complicated.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 18, 2021

They are going to run busses to pick up kids who need transportation for their second vaccine since our last day is Friday, and their first dose is Thursday.