Which TV Dating Shows Did/Do You Watch?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2009

Past & present, there's a ton of dating shows. Which ones (game shows & reality) did/do you watch?

My list (& I'm going slilghtly back w/ some):

Love Connection
    Shipmates
    The 5th Wheel
    Buzz
    Studs
    Elimidate
    Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?
    Singled Out
    Date My Mom
    Blind Date
    For Love or Money
    Joe Millionaire
    Age of Love
    Farmer Wants a Wife
    Meet My Folks
    Star Dates
    Millionaire Matchmaker
    Tough Love
    Bachelor/Bachelorette
    Dating in the Dark
    More to Love

I'm forgetting the title of the old show where a couple each got to date someone new & at the end, turned over a card to stay together or break up.

I'm sure I'm still forgetting some.

3. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Love Connection
    Millionaire Matchmaker

I just watched "Megan wants a Millionaire" last night. Odd.

4. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Love Connection
    The dating game
    The 5th Wheel
    Elimidate
    Singled Out
    Bachelor/Bachelorette
    Temptation Island
    Blind Date
    For Love or Money

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2009

The Bachelor/Bachelorette
    Millionaire Matchmatcher

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Who can forget The Dating Game? I'm surprised at you MsI! :p

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 3, 2009

Is anyone else watching More to Love? I'm assigned to recap that show for Reality News Online and I'm still deciding it I like it.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

Actually, I knew about it. but from what I recall, I didn't watch it as often as the others. :) (I wasn't even born when it originally aired.)

I'll continue to watch till the end. But, I think it's tacky how they show everyone's weight for all to see. What are they trying to prove, who weighs the most or something?! Plus that's like treating them like they're freaks or something. They don't show thinner peoples' weight. :rolleyes:

9. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Singled Out

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I didn't know there were that many!!
    I watched the beginning of Dating in the Dark. I fell asleep after 10 minutes LOL

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I was going to watch it. I didn't know they showed people's weights. What is it anyone's business?? My husband doesn't even know how much I weigh and we've been married over 3 years LOL

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

Something tells me they'll show everyone's weight on EVERY episode. They'll make sure all of America knows every single person's weight before the whole show's over! :mad:

13. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

I watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette. I also watch Marry My Mom or something like that that NBC had on a few years ago. I will also watch More to Love and I watched Joe Millionaire.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2009

I watched the repeat of the first episode of More to Love last night. It moved slowly. I liked Luke a lot and found him sincere, but the women were another story. Some seemed nuts, some seemed way too needy for a guy who supposedly wants a woman who "carries herself well". I'll watch the new one tonight, though, and see how it is.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I don't know if that's how it really is in the mind of an overweight person, but those particular women on the show make it appear as if they can't ever find love in their regular lives & this show is their ONLY hope in life & this is their ONLY chance, etc. I'm not saying it's not harder if someone's bigger because our society is very obsessed w/ physical appearance, but if they're that concerned about their weight, they would have taken control & lost weight looooong ago, rather than crying about it on TV about how no one wants them.

I'd suggest this to ANYONE, if you don't like something about yourself, make a change! If you don't like your hair color, dye it. If you don't like your weight, change it. Exercise & eat better.

Some people may say, it's not that simple & I agree that certain things may not be as simple to change as other things, but are they even trying?! Maybe they think they've tried hard in the past, but really haven't.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2009

I think a few of them might have psychological problems. That would be a different show .....

17. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

I have to agree with you, and the promos for tonight's show... wow. I actually can't wait to watch them make a spectacle of themselves... is that bad??

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2009

Nah, not bad. Just a bit of morbid curiosity LOL You guys have made me want to check it out tonight and I havn't even seen a promo for it.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 4, 2009

When it comes to More to Love, I adore Bonnie to pieces and hope she stays as long as possible! She is very self-assured and has a wicked sense of humor. For those who missed the premiere, I'll be happy to point everyone to my column here.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I think it's ridiculous too. They made a big deal about them being bigger than most girls who go on The Bachelor, but we can tell by looking that they're a little bigger. I don't know why they think we need to see their weight. It's tacky.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2009

Very good article, catnfiddle. Good for you. I bet you are having fun with the writing assignment. Keep us posted on how you are doing with it.

22. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 4, 2009

The only times I watch dating shows are generally out of, as TeacherNY put it, morbid curiosity.

I watched the first few seasons of "The Bachelor" because I loved how catty and vicious the women would get toward each other, particularly as their numbers dwindled from 25 down to about 10 or so. When it finally came time to meet the women's families, the show would become mushier, and I would lose interest.

The only time I really felt for someone on the show was during this one season, early on. The woman was a former Miss America contestant--Idaho, or Iowa, maybe? I thought she was absolutely gorgeous. She clearly fell for the guy fast, and hard, but she came across to all of the others--including the bachelor--like some version of Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction". She seemed like a really nice girl; I actually felt sorry for her.

After a while, though, I thought the show got repetitive. Every rose ceremony was "the most shocking/dramatic/unbelievable rose ceremony yet," and I gave up wondering "who will the bachelor choose? And who will be sent home...broken-hearted?"

I also watched "Joe Millionaire" to see what would happen when the women found out he was more like Joe Hundredaire.

It still never ceases to amaze me, though, that in the time slot where Monday Night Football once stood is now "Dancing with the Stars" and "The Bachelor". I think ABC's viewership on Monday nights has probably gone from 80-20 male to 80-20 female.

G-Minus 12 days, 13 hours

MathManTim

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I saw about 15 minutes of More to Love. I "loved" how the guy is considered "ordinary" yet the woman, who are in some cases less overweight than he is are all "plus sized."

Yeah. Lovely. Not to mention the premise of all these vulnerable women clamoring over one guy? I am reminded why I hate TV.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I'm watching More to Love right now. I missed the first few minutes though and have no idea why that girl is crying on the couch. Anyone know? She seems like a whiner.

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

Thanks for the compliment, Upsadaisy! I try to make it fun. As for TeacherNY's question, I think Melissa (not Malissa) spends more time crying than the rest of the house combined, and this is a weepy group of contestants!

On a side note, I am SO PLEASED to let everyone know that the editors have gotten rid of the signage showing the height and weight of the people involved in the show. YES!:thumb:

26. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I watched last night and I'm sorry those women are just DESPERATE. That might be why they don't have any men in their lives.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2009

I haven't watched the latest episode yet of More to Love yet, I DVR'd it though. Being desperate is not a good way to showcase oneself because if the ladies think that potential mates can't see it, they're wrong. People need to exude confidence.

Oh good!

28. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

FLAVOR OF LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2009

Yeah, those women seemed pretty desperate. There was one that was a total snob though. She thought she God's gift to men. Seriously, I can see she wants to win but she has to get over herself. I hope that guy isn't dumb enough to be won over by that.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2009

Right, not enough confidence isn't good, too much isn't good, you have to have the right amount! :)

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

Melissa A. was crying on the couch because she just threw up overboard and was afraid it would hurt her chances to impress Luke. Ummm.....

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

Do you all think Luke is 100% genuine? He seems awfully mature for a 26 year old.

33. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I'm never sure if anyone on these reality shows is genuine or not. I also disagree with the idea that some girls think they are God's gift to men - to me, they are the most desperate because they are covering up their insecurities with this false bravado that is actually really sad when you think about it.

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2009

I think that the girls who think they love him already are very sad. You can't love someone you don't even know.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2009

:dizzy: I was wondering about them.

36. Echo

Echo New Member

Aug 7, 2009

I love Millionaire Matchmaker! Patty is the best!

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 7, 2009

Another interesting one is Dating in the Dark. Six people get to interact and form attractions without seeing each other until the very end. If they can still stand each other, they have the opportunity to continue dating. It looks like the nighttime footage of Survivor but I like it!