Which summer job should I choose?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Teacherella, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Apr 30, 2007

I have three summer job options and I'm really torn. My ultimate goal is to make money over the summer and choose a teaching related job that would be a great experience to add to my resume.

Here are the options:

1. TV/Film summer camp for ages 8-15 - Teacher; Each camp lasts for a week and I would basically teach the children about tv/film production (directing, producing, camera operation, acting, scriptwriting, editing, etc). I have a background in TV/Video so this would be a fun job.

2. Extended School Year program for a public school - Teacher Asst. for 8th graders; I'm not sure if I will be a great match for an 8th grade spec. ed. class (since I'm elem. ed.) and I'm a bit nervous with what type of students I will be working with (I'm still waiting to find out). The main perk to this position is that I will be student teaching in this district in the fall. It might help give me a head start on getting to know people.

3. Private special ed. school - teacher asst. for elem. grades - This job is basically the same as #2, but in a private school setting. The pro for this job and #2 is that I will get a better idea of whether or not I want to pursue an extra endorsement in special ed.

They all pay around the same - give or take a dollar or two. Which one do you think is the best option?

Thanks!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 30, 2007

I would go with number one. You are the teacher there. The other two will be seen as just assistant jobs.

4. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

I would go with whichever one you feel would be most beneficial to you! It sounds like you know you would enjoy the first job based on your background, however, you are also interested in the last 2 because they can help you decide if this is an area you might like to go into. Whenever I come across hard decisions like this I make a chart of the pros and cons, or write down which one you feel would be best for you before you go to sleep one night and then see how you feel the same in the morning. Sometimes a fresh new day helps with perspective! Good luck! :)

5. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

go with whatever makes you most happy...summer is the time to RELAX!!! i personally will be teaching swim lessons and lifeguarding aka getting paid to be tan!!

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2007

It's summer. Take the fun job. The rest will come soon enough.

7. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

I would take a job that would open doors to the district you wanted to work in. You will be student teaching there in the fall. If you work there this summer maybe it'll help you earn a full-time teaching position later on knowing the people you know from this job. Plus, that's 2 jobs on your resume in the district you want to teach in...student teaching plus the summer job.

8. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

May 1, 2007

I keep on leaning towards the 8th grade position in the district I'll be student teaching in, BUT i'm nervous because there are a few ED students in the class. They are mostly SLD (specific learning disability) so that's not a problem for me at all. I'm not used to working with emotionally disturbed middle schoolers (only elementary). That's really the only con - that and it's only from 8am-12pm. The other jobs are full day.

9. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

May 1, 2007

It will give you good experience. You'll be prepared and have a good answer for an interview when the principal asks you what types of disabilities you've worked with. My new principal for next year asked me that very question.