Which states are hiring the most teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by liz2727, Apr 10, 2008.

1. liz2727

liz2727 New Member

Apr 10, 2008

I live in Michigan and want to pursue a teaching degree, but since it's so hard to find a job here I was wondering what other states I could look into if it comes down to it. I would really prefer not to move out of state, but I also really want to teach.

Also, would the move be worth the salary in most of the states that are actually hiring (my husband would also work)?

Can I get a degree in Michigan and teach in another state?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2008

I know Texas is always hiring. Many states will always need math, science, and special ed teachers so if you could get a degree that would allow you to teach those, you should be okay. The salaries vary from state to state. I know the base salary here is $27,000 but many districts are around $40,000 for first year teachers.

You would have to look at/if any states reciprocate Michigan's certification.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2008

Clark County in Nevada is always hiring. This is the Las Vegas/North Las Vegas/Henderson area.

I teach in North Las Vegas and I love it!

The pay is only okay--sort of in the middle of the national scale. But they do have a very good retirement program, which is one of the reasons I accepted a position out here.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

I think it might be better to look at specific cities, rather than states. For example, Clark County in Nevada is always hiring, but I'm sure there are many areas in Nevada where it's tough competition for teaching positions.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 10, 2008

NYC is also hiring a lot. I moved to NYC and taught my first two years.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

Don't come to Maine. They are laying teachings off left and right.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 10, 2008

georgia is hiring!

depends on where you work...but atlanta (fulton county) base is around 38k for new teachers. Can get more in other local counties...and private schools either are lower or higher. Mine is higher...i got lucky.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

I've been looking at this because I'm thinking of relocating this year (if I can't find something around here) and the states that seem to have the most demand for teachers are: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Maryland, Virginia, Nevada and Arizona. But again as another poster said a lot of it depends on the area of the state that you want to move to.

10. 1stgradeTeacher

1stgradeTeacher Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

Don't come to Arizona - the pay is pitiful - not even enough to support just yourself. And, the state does not value education. There will never be enough money for it. It's no wonder we're ranked 49th out of 50 states and most teachers leave within a couple of years but no one seems to care. I'm disgusted with education in this state. :mad:

11. yanhiggins

yanhiggins New Member

Sep 30, 2009

I am currently looking for teaching positions in Northern California area and it is tough. Even though I am looking for math teaching position, since most of districts have stopped hiring because of the sate wide budget cut, jobs are just not around like they used to be. So if you are considering moving out of state for teaching job, don't come to California.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 30, 2009

Louisiana is hiring. Some districts are still hiring for this school year! Starting salary in most areas here is around $40,000.

13. Lehrerin

Lehrerin New Member

Apr 12, 2010

Do NOT come to AZ

1st grade teacher is right about the lack of support for education in Arizona. I have 16 years of experience, but am getting a pink slip b/c I have only been in the district for 3 years. The pay is miserable, but at this point, I would like to keep my job so I can keep my house and my son can stay in college. I will be looking in Texas. Does anyone know the state of education in Florida?

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 13, 2010

Most districts in Florida are laying people off left and right, or still recovering from recent years of layoffs.

15. KRolf15

KRolf15 New Member

Apr 13, 2010

Ohio is a rough state to find a job as well.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 13, 2010

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 13, 2010

Oklahoma has lots of teachers and not enough jobs. And each school is expected to lose 13% of its funding next year making layoffs an everyday word. Our principal gave us the talk yesterday about just because someone is the last one hired, they may not be the first one fired. Because of enrollment, teachers with early childhood mean more right now -- in my district TODAY. I have an early childhood degree, an elementary education degree, with endorsements in Social Sciences and English for middle school. I feel pretty safe. I am pretty sure I will have a job, but maybe not doing what I am doing now.

18. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Apr 13, 2010

I am in the same boat as you liz!
    In MI currently and looking to move out of state to teach. My friend is a recent college grad, she luckily got a job teaching part time Kindergarten in Southeast MI. Her P later told her that there were 800-900 applicants for that job! : O And it's only part time!
    In searching job posting website, NC and SC seem to have a lot, as well as states in the Southwest. I have heard New Mexico?

19. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 13, 2010

Stay out of Florida. We are one hot mess here.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2010

NJ is always a tough market and is becoming even more so. Wherever you look, don't rule out charter schools, private schools, subbing- all of these are great learning experiences, build your resume and make you more marketable as you hone your skills until the market improves. Good luck.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 13, 2010

Stay away from your neighbors to the west-things are horrible in Wisconsin! Districts are laying off left and right...Thirty-eight in a nearby city! My district is actually hiring for next year, though. Imagine how many applicants there will be for each position.

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 13, 2010

Arizona is going to be laying off a lot of teachers if a 1% sales tax does not go though on May 18th. Even if it passes, there are going to be huge cuts!! However, if you are looking for a job, many rural schools might have openings.

23. joanne1978

joanne1978 New Member

May 9, 2011

My husband is will complete his k-8 teaching credential program this December. We live in CA and the outlook here is very bad for finding a job. What other states are hiring new teachers? I am trying to convince him that we may need to move. The salary isn't much the issue, but him living his dream and working towards retirement. How does it work having a CA cred and going to another state? Any info is appreciated.

24. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 9, 2011

He'll have to become certified in a state where he wants to apply. The best way to do that is visit other state's Department of Ed web site and check to see the requirements for becoming certified.

25. Samdey

Samdey Rookie

May 10, 2011

Don't come Texas....We have a education' trouble.
    Layoffs!! and more...so, Its hurts in this year...

I hope you find a good state!!!

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

As far as I know, DE has still been able to implement their "no layoffs plan." So they should still be hiring. Of course that's a small area with only 19-ish school districts in the state.

PA is most definitely not hiring, at least not central PA.

I feel like Hawaii is always hiring.

27. AKPuffin

AKPuffin Rookie

May 10, 2011

Have you signed up with www.teachers-teachers.com? You can select states you're interested in and receive weekly emails with job openings. Even though I'm not always excited about what's open, it's good to see the positions available out there! I'm thinking about moving out of Alaska next year (winters are too long and cold!) and that website has been so helpful!

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 10, 2011

This is happening all over the place in CA too - happened to my mom!

I'll reiterate what others have said - don't even CONSIDER California!

29. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

May 10, 2011

I do believe in Indiana it is hit or miss. I know of a local school that has a handful of openings. Another district is going to full day kindergarten at all of the schools so there hopefully will be some hiring with that change.

30. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 10, 2011

I currently teach in MI at a Catholic school. There are quite a few Catholic schools in my area hiring teachers, if you're interested in going that route. The pay is definitely lower, but you'll get good experience.

31. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 10, 2011

The economy in the DC metro area has not taken as hard of a hit as some other places in the country. My school district has about 200 openings right now. Even though we are still in the internal transfer period, I do know that people are being hired from out of district already. Not sure how that works...

32. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

May 10, 2011

Not sure why anyone would say Texas...my school district has a hiring freeze and are laying off teachers left and right. My old school district just let quite a bit go as well. I know several teachers who got let go from other school districts and are now looking for a job. Good luck....whatever you decide to do!

33. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

May 10, 2011

Definitely not Oklahoma ==the legislature is cutting the budget again

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  34. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

May 11, 2011

I don't know where you got your info about NC hiring since most districts I've heard are laying off teachers. However, if you do decide to come here, just to give you a clue as to how bad things are, I will GLADLY give you my job without a second thought. That is if I am not laid off. Don't mean to sound ungrateful but it's just bad here (at least where I am and in the surrounding areas.)

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 11, 2011

Northwest Arkansas is still growing and hiring. One district near us is hiring over 30 new elementary teachers next year. Not to replace teachers, but for new positions.

36. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 11, 2011

This is what I was thinking. I CANNOT find an opening in NC right now. I've heard that things have gotten pretty bad, too--my heart especially aches for teachers in Char-Meck who are being treated like bums.

37. effacient

effacient New Member

Jun 13, 2011

I hope that you can look for good position in California. :D