Which seating arrangement do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jpablot, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Aug 21, 2015

this is my first year teaching high school. I have taught 5th and 6th grade and now have 9-11th graders. As a elementary/middle school teacher I have always had my students sitting in groups of 4. Walking around the school and seeing how the other HS teachers have their desks set up, most of them have the desks in pairs of 2. Is this more proper for high school?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 21, 2015

I have my desks in rows and separated. It's very traditional I know, but the way my desks are made, I can't have them in groups of two, otherwise kids will have to move their desks to get in them. If they do partner work, they can move closer. My room is also kind of small, so this works best for me. I've seen teachers put their desks in groups of 4 facing each other, but it may be hard for some kids to see the board and/or focus. Personally, I like separated desks facing the board so I have their attention and I can walk up and down rows while I teach and help kids one on one. It's also convenient for tests, since the desks are already separated.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

I teach speech, so mine are in small rows of three on three sides of the room. It creates a large space for performance in the center of the room.

5. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 21, 2015

I have tables instead of desks, and two students sit at each table. The tables are in rows. It works out pretty well.

6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Aug 21, 2015

When I had the desk/chair connected, my students were in straight rows. Now that my desk and chair are separate, I have desks in pairs but also in rows. That way I have more room for foot traffic in the aisles.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2015

I prefer rows with separated, individual desks but I usually have to do pairs in rows due to limited space. I hate groups for every age group I have ever taught, 6th to 12th.

I am teaching 7th grade at a new school this year - a K-8 school - and I was told that all teachers must have their desks in groups of 4 or 6. No exceptions!!! I have NEVER been told how I HAD to set up the desks in MY classroom. NEVER!!! :mad::mad:

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 21, 2015

It still differs. I remember in Chemistry in High School, we sat in groups of 6.

Some classes were just in rows, and some had us turn our desks to work with each other. I think you can have as much variety in your seating arrangements as you want.

9. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 21, 2015

I have them in rows.

I have them in tables of four or six.

I also have a table in my room.

I rearrange the desks a lot. This year, it's really just how I can get 37 desks in a little room and still have room to move.

10. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 22, 2015

I always try to go with singular desks.......they grab at each other, etc. if they're in pairs or groups.;)

11. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 22, 2015

I have tables that seat 2 students. They are arranged in rows of 5 or 6 across, with an aisle down the center. I am old school and find that this arrangement works best for when student attention must be focused forward. The tables are on wheels so when group work is being done the room can be quickly reconfigured.

12. NSChu

NSChu New Member

Aug 23, 2015

It really depends on what type of learning you plan to do in the classroom. If it is pair or group work then sets of 2 or 4 will work.

I'm trying to decide what will work too. I have tables that seat 2-3 students and trying to find the best placement. If you google "Seating arrangements in classrooms" there are a bunch of resources to look at.

13. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 23, 2015

I like tables of twos for HS (I teach English) I had 4 tops for a while - where the sts faced each other all the time - didn't work for me during whole class work - they just talked to each other. So now it's rows of tables for two and then I have every other row turn their chairs back to the table behind them if I want pairs to turn into groups. Just quicker than moving the tables. And this way when we are working whole class everyone is facing the same way. And remember, you can always change it up if it isn't working!

14. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 23, 2015

Also - coming from younger grades, you might have an advantage of being able to control group activities - HS teachers might have them in rows because we are allowed to get away with it and it makes it easier for us - doesn't mean it's "right."

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 23, 2015

I teach 9-10th grade and I use a U-shape for my desks. I have a large U made up up 5-10-5 and then an inner U made up of 2-5-2. I love being able to walk the loop as I talk and get to every desk easily.

16. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 24, 2015

I usually start with rows so that I can learn names. After that I tend to change things up. A lot depends on the students and what arrangements they show me they can handle, so I like to wait to get to know them before making changes.