Which room would you choose?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, May 11, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 11, 2013

I have to switch classrooms next year, and I *might* be able to choose between two different rooms, and I don't know which one I would pick. If I get the OK that I can choose either room, I will post pictures. Without seeing pics, which room would you choose?

Room A Cons
    -The big one is that it has that big sliding glass doors that I posted about a few weeks ago. I would have to somehow cover up the doors, because they would not be used. My plan is to use fiber-board, covered with corkboard. This would awesome if it worked out well, because it would leave me with TONS of BB space! My dad should be able to do this for me pretty easily.
    -You can hear the other classroom through the sliding glass door. However, the fiberboard will probably mute some of that sound.
    -There is a possibility that two teachers may want to use the classrooms with the doors in the future for multi-age. I don't see this happening any time soon, though.

Room A Pros
    -It has the exact same setup as my current room (it's directly upstairs), as far as cupboard space/placement, window placement, etc. It took me a long time to "perfect" my room arrangement, so it would be very easy to just move everything upstairs and set it up the exact same way.
    -It has a corner to work with. After having a classroom for 3 years without a working corner, this is huge for me. (In my old classroom, there were built-in counters in 3 corners of the classroom, and the door was in the 4th.) It sounds silly but I LOVE having a corner for my classroom library in my current room. Our classrooms aren't large enough to block off a library area, so, without a corner, the library bookshelves just go along one long wall.
    -Overall, I can just envision the setup of my classroom better in this room.
    -The current teacher in that room is an LTS (the other teacher quit mid-year), and she already let me start going through the cupboards. She said I can have her key whenever I want to go in on the weekends and start moving stuff in.

Room B Cons
    -NO CORNERS! :( All of my library bookcases would have to go along one wall, and I'm not even sure if they would fit. It seems like this room has less wall space. I am stumped at how I would set everything up. I have 7 short bookcases, 1 medium, and 1 tall. I do not know how everything would fit.
    -Everything is placed differently in this classroom (cupboards, window, Smartboard, etc.). I'm having a very difficult time envisioning how everything would work in this classroom...I don't like the "bones" as much as the other room.

Room B Pros
    -No sliding glass door to worry about covering, or hearing the other classroom.
    -Newer carpet that looks really nice.
    -No chance of having to move again if they want to use the sliding glass door rooms for multi-age in the future. (Of course, there is always a chance I would have to move at any time, no matter which room I take, because our numbers are always changing...)

I should also mention that both rooms are identical in size, with the same amount of storage space. I think most people would choose room B, because it is not connected to another room, but I really don't like the setup as much...However, I don't want the sliding glass doors to turn out to be a huge pain. I guess I could learn to arrange things in a nice way in room B.

What would you do?!!

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 11, 2013

After looking at my pro and con lists, I'm starting to lean towards room B...I'm sure I can make it work, and I think the idea of "sharing" a room by a door would really stress me out...Even the thought of trying to cover it. Ughhhh...!!!

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 11, 2013

I'd go with B!

Covering that door would be a pain and no guarantee that you would mute the sound from the other room.

I completely understand with your arrangement stuff though. When you find an arrangement you love, it's hard to let it go! But change is good, I'm sure you will find an arrangement that works in room B.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2013

Of course you can envision the set-up of Room A better then Room B. It's the same as your current room.

You're already leaning toward Room B. Go for it! Can you "make" a corner? If the cupboard goes to a corner can you remove doors & use the shelves there for your library?

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 11, 2013

I think I'd be leaning toward B as well... think of the design as a challenge!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 11, 2013

My choice would be B.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2013

I would choose B. Will the doors still open so you can have some contact with the class next door...reading buddies...special projects together...if you need to use the restroom, etc?

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 11, 2013

I'd choose B also...

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 11, 2013

The corner would be an issue for me, too... Not sure which I'd choose.

11. msufan

msufan Comrade

May 11, 2013

Now I'm curious: How can a room have no corners?

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2013

There is a corner there, but it is not useable. My classroom doesn't have a 'corner'. 2 have cupboards that hit the adjacent wall, and 2 have radiators that stop about 6 inches from the adjacent wall.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 11, 2013

I'd pick B if you can be creative and create a corner. Actually, I'd probably pick B anyway because of the doors....

14. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

May 11, 2013

My classroom is the exact same way (no corners) and I can't stand it. The only corner I have is the one directly behind my door, which is obviously not usable. In one corner I have built in storage cabinets and a teacher desk (also built in) and the other two corners have built-in cubbies/ shelves that run along the entire wall.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 11, 2013

I'm glad someone else understands my love of corners. :)

If I get a choice, I think I'll go with room B. To explain the corner thing a bit further, one corner contains the door, 2 corners contain built-in cupboards, and the other contians a built-in shelving unit. So, there aren't any "workable corners," as I call them. I think I could make it work though.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 14, 2013

Update: I did get a choice in rooms, and I chose room B. :) I'm super excited about it...I was looking at the room more closely yesterday, and there is TONS of BB space, and I have some great ideas for the arrangement. YAY!

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2013

:)

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 15, 2013

Get pictures up for us to see!

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 15, 2013

I'll probably wait until the room is all ready in the fall...The teacher who is in there now is a teammate who is resigning (changing careers), and I'm trying to give her some space.

I'm sad to see her go, but, I'm not going to lie, I'm excited about getting in that room!!!