Which program would you do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amethyst, May 15, 2009.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

May 15, 2009

I found an online program I am really interested at the University of Missouri. The program is early childhood special ed, which is what I'm really, really interested in, BUT...they don't do inititial certification. I'd have to do the alternate route, which I really don't want to.

OR

Liberty University has a M.A.T. program with a specialization in Special Ed. and they do do initial certification.

The first one looks much better, and Early CHildhood is def. my preference (I really want to teach preschool), but I would be nervous about doing the alternate route, so I'd rather not.

3. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 15, 2009

I did my undergrad with Liberty and I am doing my M.Ed through Liberty right now.Their programs are really well done. Several people in my classes are in the MAT programs since the programs have similar class requirements and they speak highly of the MAT program as well.

Hope that helps!

4. amethyst

amethyst Companion

May 15, 2009

Thank you, that does help!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 15, 2009

First of all if you are going to do an on-line program outside of your state really make sure that whichever one you pick will meet your state requirements. I looked at the websites for the programs and in your situation I would probably pick the one that does initial certification, because then you would do student teaching and hopefully gain initial certification in your state, but check your area and see if people with alternative certification are getting teaching jobs in early childhood special education, if they are then getting alternative certification and a master's degree at the University of Missouri may not be a bad thing. Some areas are more receptive to alternative certification than others. Good luck!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

I'd go the Liberty route. I replied to your NJ alt route question- alt route is not as 'marketable' as traditional route, plus with the Liberty you'd have sped certification- which is very marketable.

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 15, 2009

Liberty is accredited by NCATE and so they have reciprocity with pretty much any state. From what I have come across, many schools like to see diplomas from NCATE schools.

Liberty also has a fast track for online students meaning you can do two mini-semesters in a term.

8. amethyst

amethyst Companion

May 15, 2009

I've pretty much decided on Liberty EXCEPT that I really don't wanna do those 3 intensives! Yuck! If you did them, how were they?

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 16, 2009

I don't have to do intensives for my program, but a few classmates have done them and they are not too bad from what they have said.

10. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Sep 12, 2009

any updates on Libertys program? I am searching for an online program for special ed inititial certification.

12. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

Bump.

13. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Nov 25, 2009

Bump. lol.