Which one to pick?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Angelhair, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Angelhair

Angelhair Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

it looks like today is my luck day. I got three job offers. But it is essentially pick from two school districts.

1. Better school district, way better neighborhood, enormous school with nearly 4000 students, nice diversified working environment. Downside, too long to commute. A hour drive one way. If class starts at 7:20. I have to leave home around 5:45 am.

2. Ok school district, not so good neighborhood, smaller school, everyone seems friendly; but teachers and staffs are not so diversified and I have concern about being a Lone Ranger. But commute is doable, about 25 minute drive. Greatschools rating of 2 is slightly lower than 1.

I have 3 kids (two younger ones) As a new teacher, not sure which one fits better or could have a balance of life and work. Your suggestion is greatly appreciated.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2017

I'd take the smaller, closer school.

MrsC and yellowdaisies like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2017

Are pay and benefits the same?

5. Angelhair

Angelhair Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

Yes. It is all standardized.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 29, 2017

I don't take all Greatschools ratings at face value, but on their scale, the best score is a 10, so a 2 would concern me enough to do some extra research on the school. I wouldn't automatically rule the school out, but I would ask around as to what it's really like.

7. Angelhair

Angelhair Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

Thank. Good point!

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 29, 2017

Is moving closer to district 1 an option?

9. Angelhair

Angelhair Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

No. I hope in a few year I can work a way out to my home school district. It is much nicer school district.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 30, 2017

Well, I don't like huge schools, and I would rather teach at a Title 1 school (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "not so good neighborhood"), so I'd pick 2 anyway. But honestly, the commute alone would do it for me. An hour one way would make me miserable. 2 hours a day in a car is a LOT, and there are a lot of other things you could be doing with that time. But it probably depends on you and how you feel about commuting, etc.

Angelhair likes this.
  11. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 30, 2017

The feeling I get is that you would choose option 1 in a heartbeat if the commute was shorter. So it's up to you on whether the extra hour a day spent commuting should you choose option 1 makes a difference. Better neighbourhood does not mean easier job. They can have their own set of problems which can be equally challenging.

yellowdaisies and Angelhair like this.
  12. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 30, 2017

Like others have said, a "better" school/neighborhood doesn't necessarily mean a more enjoyable work experience. There are a lot of other factors that go into that. I worked at a Great Schools 2 school at one point and, for the most part, loved it. I drive an hour each way for work now and most days it doesn't bother me at all. I kind of enjoy the time. But I don't have kids at home. If I did, I think it would probably feel more like lost time. It also makes being involved in/or attending any after school/evening events challenging. I also know that, for me personally, leaving at 5:45 every day would get real old, real fast. I can leave by 6:40 for my school and still be okay.

Angelhair likes this.
  13. Angelhair

Angelhair Rookie

Jun 30, 2017

Thank you everyone. I decided to go with district 2. I just find out even though both schools have the same base salary for the new teachers. School #2 has much higher compensation for math/science and bilingual candidates, which I fit for both categories. I will earn $6,000 more.

rpan, yellowdaisies and bella84 like this.