Which offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacherella, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 13, 2008

I'm expecting two offers (possibly three) and I don't know which way to go. But, I won't have this problem if I get an offer from my top choice (I find out next week). Anyway, just say I had to choose between these two offers. Which one would you choose and why? Keep in mind that I am a new teacher with a litte experience under my belt (permanent sub and summer school teacher), but never had my own class for a full year.

#1 - Long-term subbing job for Sept-Dec. at a great public school (where I actually work now).

#2 - Full-time/full-year teaching job (my own classroom) at a Christian school with very low pay and not in such a great area (low-income and close to a high crime area).

Thanks!

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

The ultimate decision is yours. I would take the full time/full year position because it's a definite. You become more marketable after a year experience. I realized that this year. I got into a great school corp. with one year of experience. You can use this year to get into a better corp. next year.

But, if you want to work your way into the district you've been working in then go ahead and take the long-term sub. job.

4. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

#2, if $ is not too big of an issue. It's your own class.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 13, 2008

I agree with cMcD, it depends on your end goal. If the long-term sub will help you get into the public district, and it's reasonable there will be subbing positions available after Dec., go with that one. But, if you're looking for experience and you can afford it, the private school will give you that.

6. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 13, 2008

My ultimate goal is to work in a public school, but there is a possibility that we will move in the future so it doesn't have to be this particular public school.

Do you think a public school would prefer a candidate that worked 1 year at a Christian school or 3 month at a public school? I've heard that some public schools don't really look highly on Christian school education (because some schools don't follow the same state standards).

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2008

That's a tough call you have there. I don't know which is preferred, a LTS position, or a full year in a private school.

I do think those 4 months in the district you want to work in will help. Is it a maternity leave? I can't think of another reason a teacher would know so well in advance that they were going to be out, and for how long. I've often heard of teachers (especially first time moms) realizing they don't want to return to work. Maybe something like that could happen? I know it's a stretch, but you never know.

8. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 13, 2008

It's a maternity leave, but I'm almost certain that this teacher is coming back (I talk to her almost everyday at work). This position would be ideal if I knew for a fact that I would be here long-term (because it opens up possibilities to get a full-year job in the district), but we might be moving.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 13, 2008

I've always heard the same about private schools. But while some people don't think private schools are at the same level as public schools, other people say teaching is teaching. So I'm not sure. If it were me I'd want my own class...but it's where you feel most comfortable in the end. It doesn't sound like you'd feel too comfy with option 2, just from what you wrote.

Good luck with your decision...I hope it's easy for you and you get that one position you really want! ;)

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 13, 2008

It has to be what works for you, however I would take the LTS position and hope someone retires at mid-year.

11. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 13, 2008

Nobody except you and your family can really make this decision.
    Have you spoken to the principal of the public school about your future after the long term sub position is over?Are there any health benefits involved in the Christian school position?
    If you are really going to move then it Doesn't make much difference and I would take the position at the great public school you are familiar with. If you really feel uncomfortable in the area of the Catholic school,it might lead to too much stress.
    GOOD LUCK in whatever you decide. Let us know.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2008

If money isn't really an issue, I would take #2. Nothing beats a year's experience.

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 13, 2008

I am with STG, I would take the full time, but this is your choice and you are the only one who knows what choice is the best fit for you. I wish you the best. As another poster said it sounds like you want to take the LTS- if that is what you want go for it!

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

it is hard to say that a sub position will open the door to permanent position.

seems like there is a lot of people who are hired as subs but overlooked for permanent jobs.

guess solid position sounds better than sub position. that person may come back early!