Which nonfiction pieces to read?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by EngTeacher15, Aug 11, 2007.

1. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Aug 11, 2007

Does anyone have any suggestions for what nonfiction pieces/texts to read for a nonfiction unit (for 9th graders)? I've heard of this book called In Fact: The Best of Creative Nonfiction, but I don't know if it's any good.

How should I go about teaching a non-fiction unit, and how do I select texts?

Any ideas? :confused: Thanks!

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

I use texts from Time Magazine, the Chicago Tribune, New York Times Upfront, Scholastic Scope, various non-fiction books, even picture books. I try to use things that are timely and the kids are interested in. Non fiction text is all around you!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

I agree, Mrs. R, that non-fiction units are the time to really tap into current events that strike a chord with the kids. Try CNN Student News!

If you really want a novel, though, my kids really seem to enjoy the natural disaster stories like Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer about the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster. They also like Isaac's Storm by Eric Larson about the 1900 hurricane that destroyed Galveston, Texas. The great part about this novel is that it's written like fiction almost. The kids really get into it, but I also live in an area that has had its share of hurricane disasters!:eek:hmy:

5. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

Nickel and Dimed is used for 11th.. Rocket Boys is used for 10th.. hmm.. 9th grade..

ooh! How about some sports theme stuff?

6. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

Also, Kids from Nowhere is pretty moving.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I use newsweek and time, etc. In tenth I do a unit on high school dropouts from an old newsweek or time article I have. In 9th I do a unit on gas prices from Mental Floss Magazine and New York Times Upfront.

8. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Our nonfiction novels this year (10th grade) are going to be Night by Elie Wiesel and/or Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane and/or Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Houston. The kids really were gripped by Night last year, but the other two I haven't done.

9. ELAteacher

ELAteacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

How about doing some Memoir/Autobiography pieces? When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago comes to mind... also This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff?