Which Math Curriculum Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Aug 9, 2016.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2016

When CCSS came into play we abandoned our math curriculum because it no longer aligned. Which program do you/does your district use and do you like it?

3. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Aug 9, 2016

The elementary teachers at my school really like Saxon math. I have heard of Go Math in other schools but I do not think the teachers cared for it.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2016

I've used My math (which I recommend HIGHLY) and Engage NY. My prior district used Pearson's Envision, which was super outdated, but they provided supplemental CCSS lessons on the website. I thoroughly enjoyed My math. Engage NY is OK, sometimes, because of the strategies it provides to students, but I didn't care how bland it was and there's no real kid-friendly anything. It's just mostly worksheets. But I went online and found ALL 3rd grade module Powerpoints to present the material and bought them. But I LOVE My math, because it's very user friendly and appealing to students. It's so colorful and I love ALL of the sections of the lessons.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2016

We use Envision (with the CCSS updates), and I like it enough. I'm not an amazingly-huge fan of any one math curriculum, but out of the ones I've worked with, I like this one the best. Everything is broken down well, and there are a ton of resources that you can flexibly use. That being said, I still add on my own self-created enrichment, plus our district has had a team of teachers go through and make a pacing guide, which leads us to use only those lessons that are actually meeting the standards, and doing it in an order that makes sense for the child.

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2016

Last year we used Go Math (5th grade). I thought it was as good as any math program I've used, and better than Everyday Math, which we used to use when I taught previously. I didn't like how fast it moved through concepts and strategies - it introduces a lot of strategies very quickly. I also found the guided notes confusing sometimes, and that they didn't really help students remember information/ understand processes well. I supplemented with a math journal/ semi-interactive notebook a lot to really help students nail down concepts in their notes.

This coming year I'll be using Envision in 7th grade. I haven't had PD on it yet but I am confused already because it looks from their online overview like there are only ~80 lessons...

7. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Aug 9, 2016

We don't have a math "curriculum" we have a written curriculum that pulls from several resources to meet the standards.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 9, 2016

We use Eureka Math, which is essentially Engage NY with very, very minor differences. It is dry, routine, and boring at times. The first year was rough since it is much more rigorous than what we previously used (which was teacher created). However, our district test scores in math were really good. It's hard to compare last years scores to anything since we switched tests (PARCC to ACT Aspire), but I think the curriculum played a part in the scores. Our math scores were much higher than our literacy scores.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2016

We use GoMath in K-5. Big math Ideas in grade 6.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 9, 2016

GoMath in K-6.

We adopted the GoMath program last school year. This will be our 2nd year of implementation, so I think our teachers will have a better grasp on the pacing (last year, not everyone finished covering all concepts prior to SBAC).

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 9, 2016

Go Math here as well. It's ok. Impossible to get through everything but you have to prioritize and make the curriculum your own to fit the needs of your students. No program is perfect.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 9, 2016

We have My Math. I like it fine. No big complaints. I do wish maybe there was more for the high achievers. There are some enrichment sheets, but I'm not always crazy about them. I do really like that the math books and consumable workbooks are one and the same, so the lesson info is right there with the independent practice problems. Also, I like that the homework pages have a review of the lesson in case the kids get stuck.

We never finish everything before SBAC. We did better last year than the first year with the program, but we usually have about 6-8 weeks after testing before school ends (we test pretty early), so it's not really possible. We usually do a crash course on major geometry and measurement concepts, because that's what we haven't fully covered yet. Fractions, decimals, multiplication, and division are too important to condense, and that makes up the rest of our year up to that point.