which master's degree?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shortee, Jan 29, 2010.

1. shortee

shortee Companion

Jan 29, 2010

I'm not sure which masters degree I should pursue. My local school offers a master of education in reading and a masters of education in elementary reading. I teach elementary now but is this limiting my future options? What do y'all think. Appreciate any advice.

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 30, 2010

Not knowing what the difference is between the two, I would choose the one that would open the most doors for you in the future. Would the Masters in Reading allow you to teach middle and high school in your area?

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2010

My district tried for almost a year to find someone qualified in reading to take a position in the middle school. Based on that, I'd say general reading over elementary.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 30, 2010

What exactly is the difference between the two?

6. shortee

shortee Companion

Jan 30, 2010

The main difference is that the masters in "Reading" covers elementary, middle and high school whereas the masters in "Elementary Reading" covers only elementary.

EDUK8_ME and Maryhf, that's kind of what I was thinking too. I just considered the "elementary" only because that would pertain best to what I'm doing now.

7. shortee

shortee Companion

Jan 30, 2010

Actually I was wrong. The elementary reading masters covers elementary and middle.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2010

Hmmm. Well, if it were me, I would choose the master's in reading, since it covers all grades. That's just me, though.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 30, 2010

If you would ever be interested in teaching high school, then go with the reading one. If you know that is something you'd never want to do, go with the elementary.

We really don't have high school reading teachers here. However, some schools nearby have started adding reading for the 9th grade academies to target students who are still struggling with reading.