Which keys do you have for your school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 18, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2009

I know that question is oddly worded...I'm trying to ask what you have access to at your school. At my school we have a card to get in the building from 6am-10pm every day of the week. However, we only have a key to our classroom, so we don't have access to the copy machine, resource rooms, etc. There is a "hidden" master key, but I think only a few of us know about it.

My friend (in another district) has a key that opens any door in her building, which I find very interesting. So, anyone has access to her classroom.

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

At this school, I have a key that will open front door. Then I have a key that opens my classroom door. The workroom and lounge are always open so I can use it anytime that I am here. At my old school, we were only given a key to our classroom. If we needed a key on the weekend we had to check one out. BUT we had no access to the work room, which meant no copies, no die cuts, nothing but our rooms on the weekend.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key for the....

• Back door, which opens up into my hallway (but I don't have a key for the front door of the building...go figure!)
    • Work room (we have like 3 work rooms, I have a key to just one of them)
    • Main office
    • Elevator
    • Classroom

I also have a personalized security code for entering the building after hours.

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key to the building and a key to my room. My room key also opens a storage closet but that is it. The Teachers study is always unlocked. So we can use the copy machine, laminator and get some supplies. I don't know about having a key to get in every room. That seems a little strange.

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

I am one of 3 with a key to the front gate and a key to the front door. My classroom key will open both my room and all the other classrooms. The other teachers have keys which will open their classrooms, but not mine.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I'll add that the work room I use is in another hallway (we have four main hallways), and I don't have a key for that hallway. Therefore the workroom is inaccessible to me if I come to school after hours.

There are also a number of master keys available for checkout by staff. Last year these keys weren't really monitored, so teachers were hanging onto them for months at a time. One teacher I know used her key to enter classrooms uninvited. She entered my classroom once while I was in there (crying, I might add....one of a handful of times when I've had a day that bad). She had knocked (for like 10 minutes!) and I didn't answer because I was in no mood to talk to anyone (this was during my lunch). I was SO PISSED. I don't think I've ever been that angry at school. Ugh. I went to my supervisor and asked that they confiscate her master key.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

I have a fob that unlocks the outer doors to our building, the code to arm and disarm the alarm, a key that opens all classrooms, the lounge, the copy room and the office. We all have those things. We CANNOT open the nurse's office or any of the admin offices. We also cannot open the library, but we can open the computer lab and go through the connecting door to the library, if for some reason we needed to do that.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

I only have a recess door key and a room key. No other keys are given!

10. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key to the elem. building doors and my room. That's it. Very few people have a master key...they keep very close watch on those in the office.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

We don't have keys to the building, but those who teach in portables have a swipe card to let them into the school during the day. I have a key to my room, and one that opens doors to the staff washroom, computer pods and storage room. This coming year, I'm also going to ask for a key to the room where I'll be teaching English every day.

12. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

-I have a key card and code to get into the building
    -A key to the old entrance (now useless) but it is still the key to the paper room
    -I have a key to my classroom
    -I have also have a key to the office which has the copier...I'm not supposed to have that!! :whistle:

13. lv2read

lv2read Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

My key opens the main doors, any classroom, the kitchen and the library and computer labs. The staff workroom (copier, paper cutters, laminator etc) is always unlocked anyway. My key won't open the school office, where the students' records etc are kept.

For a year or two our library was keyed so that our keys wouldn't open it - very frustrating when I would want to come in on a weekend and get books to take back to my class. That was when I had the time to do that! Eventually I and others prevailed and they changed the lock

14. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

At my last school, we had keys that worked to our front and back doors of the school building, the back door into our classroom, and our pod.

At my current school, I only have a key to my room and the tutor room that is between my room and one of my team mates.

15. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

All teachers have only the key to their classroom. They put a security fence around our school last year and we don't even get a key to that. During in service, if I want to park in front of my class, I either have to honk the horn of my car and hope someone is around to let me in or call on my cell to the office to have someone come and open the gate. Good grief. We also have an alarm system that doesn't allow anyone in the school on the weekends or at night.

16. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

No one has a key to the building but the principal and custodian. We are not allowed in the building at all on the weekends or after hours. I have a key that unlocks all the classrooms (including mine), the copy room and the restroom.

17. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

At my school, I only have a key to my classroom. The keys to the storage rooms, computer lab, etc are in the office but for all to access. The workspace is in an open area so that's always helpful. :)

But, really?! ...some of you have access to your school on weekends??? :eek: cool!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

Over the summer I have none... but the front door is open all day long as they work on the school and for camps.

During the school year, one key gets me into the building and any room I would normally need-- the faculty rooms and any classroom.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

We have old school locks- no key passes. I have a key that will open every door in each of the 4 buildings with the exception of the main office. I also can not access the trailers. Everything else has the same key!

I actually have 2 keys. They changed keys for some reason and I forgot to turn my old one in and they forgot. I keep one in my desk drawer in case of a lock down, and the other is on my car keys that gets locked away in the day.

20. Jaz

Jaz Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key to open the main door and a key that opens any classroom. We have access to keys that will open the storage room and office (not principals). Our laminator and copier are in the office so it's no problem to use them whenever. We can get in anytime. My school is in the middle of nowhere so it is a little spooky at night or on the weekend but at least I can get in if needed.

21. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

I wish we had access to the school on nights/weekends! We all only have a key to our classroom, and the front door is locked all day (even during school hours)- we have to buzz the office and hope that someone is there to open it if we want to get in. I also have a key to the downstairs bathroom...but that's a must!

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 18, 2009

The department chair for each grade has a building key and alarm code. You can check out a door key anytime you need one and get an alarm code. We have master keys that open the print shop and most of the closets. Now for the tricky part - we are an open concept school, you can walk in to anyone's room any time. There are a few rooms with doors (3 kindergarten classes, dyslexia room, structured learning lab, reading recovery, and a few random rooms) but no one in 1st-5th grade has a door much less a lock.

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key to open a back door, the master key for the lounge, the workroom, the side front door, my room key (which opens most doors down my hallway). I can get into most general rooms. I can get into about 65% to 80% of the classrooms in my building...I am just going to comments from others. I haven't tried. Since I don't want anyone to go into my room, I don't go into theirs unless asked by them.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

We are allow to work any hour of the day and night. One night last summer I worked from 10:00 p.m. until abou 3:45 a.m. This summer I was in my room every morning from 5:00 a.m. until ???

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

My key (and everyone else's) opens pretty much every door except the principal's office. We can get into our school at any time. There are separate locks for the playground equipment shed and the storage loft in the gym. I have had to go into another classroom a handful of times--our school's "technology station" is in one classroom, and I needed to use the scanner/digital camera. All of our science equipment is in one classroom, so I have gone in there to get supplies. However, I was told by those teachers that it was all right (and standard procedure at the school).

But I should add that I teach at a small, parochial school in a tiny, rural town.

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key that opens the front door and my classroom. The workroom is not locked so I just can't get into anyone else's classrooms or the front office. I can go to the school anytime day or night.

27. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Aug 18, 2009

I guess I'm pretty lucky. We have keys to every room in the building and we can have access 24/7. I would feel so confined if I didn't have the option to come in at night or on the weekends.

Sometimes I do wish that our classrooms were not locked with a master key. It would be nice to have personal locks so I wouldn't have to worry about people getting into my room when I'm not there.

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key to my own classroom and a gate key. Since the school is alarmed, and they don't give us the code, we have no access unless admin or custodial staff is there.

So we generally do not have the ability to work in our own rooms on weekends.

29. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

My keys are for front door and my classroom. One workroom w/ Ellison machine, paper, and copier are open and available 24/7. I cannot get to the gym because it is gated off - community teams have access during evenings and weekends. I don't know of anyone who locks their room, though. When we have a lockdown drill, we all scurry to find our room keys. Ah, the joys of a small community! As for nights and weekends, I go in frequently on weekends; I have been in my room as late as 11 p.m., but there are freaky noises after dark, so unless the baseball fields are being used and people are around, I am out of there at dark!:eek:

When I taught in KY, I had to rely on the custodial staff to let me in (6a.m.-10p.m.), and weekends were out unless I checked out a key.

In TX, I taught in a portable classroom outside and had no keys except one to my classroom. I often got locked out when they locked the doors into the main building at 3:30. I would knock and some kind soul would let me in....it was such a pain! To get to a phone (25 years ago - pre-cell-phone days) or use the restroom, or even get water to wash my board - I had to time it right. Pretty much everyone was gone by 3:30. It was a rough neighborhood and the P told me emphatically not to stay past 4:00!! :dizzy:

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

I should add that we can go to school at any time, but during the summer due to budget cuts, you can not use electricity on F, Sat, Sun. No air, no lights- nothing!!
    So, we stay away!

31. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

Every morning this summer? WHY oh WHY???? :haha:

I only have a classroom key. Once our building is closed for the day, we aren't allowed back in until the morning. No evenings or weekends.

32. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

My son plays football. He has to be there at 5. I would work while he was at practice. There was no one there and I could do what I wanted. I loved it.

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 19, 2009

My goodness, that is way too early for practice!!! But how nice that you could be there and get stuff done.

34. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 19, 2009

I don't have my keys yet, but when I do they will be for my room and the elevator.

35. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

I have the keys to the main buildings, including the admin building. I can go in to work any time! Thank goodness I have refrained from doing so much this summer.

36. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Aug 19, 2009

I have the keys to open every door on our campus except for two. One is the payroll office, and the other is an administrative assistant, who also often has cash locked up in her office. I can open the principle's office, AP, front gate, every classroom, and every cabinet, and have all the alarm codes.

Very few people on our campus have the access I do though. Most teachers can only open all classrooms and cabinets... not offices or gates, and they do not have the access codes.

37. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

During the summer I have no keys. The only key I get is a classroom key. No one has school keys except for the principal and custodians.

38. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 20, 2009

I have a building key, which opens the front door, a classroom key and a code for the security system. I can go in 24/7 and have access to anything I need. Fortunately, my commute is too long for that and I keep away during "off" hours.

39. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Aug 20, 2009

I have a key to the front door and my classroom. We can come and go anytime. The office is locked outside school hours. The faculty room/work room is always unlocked.

40. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 20, 2009

Just the keys to our classroom and file cabinets. The school has a security system with a passcode that we can access until about 6 p.m.

41. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

I have a large key ring just packed with keys. I have a key to the outside door to the shop. This is how I always enter the school. I might have a key to the main doors, but I have never bothered to check. I have 2 keys to my office because there are two doors - one into the classroom and one into the hallway. I have a key to the closet in my classroom. I have a key to all the cabinets in both shops and both storage rooms. I have a key to the greenhouse, bus barn, school shed, our shed, cafeteria kitchen door, printer room, and library/computer lab. Our work rooms are never locked so that isn't an issue. They rekeyed the classroom doors last year so that one key opens all the classroom doors on our wing. Makes it nice when a sub is trying to get in and you can't find a custodian.
    I probably still have keys on my ring that I don't know what they go to, but I am scared to get rid of them. What if I discover next week that I needed them????