Which keys do you have for your school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 18, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2009

I know that question is oddly worded...I'm trying to ask what you have access to at your school. At my school we have a card to get in the building from 6am-10pm every day of the week. However, we only have a key to our classroom, so we don't have access to the copy machine, resource rooms, etc. There is a "hidden" master key, but I think only a few of us know about it.

My friend (in another district) has a key that opens any door in her building, which I find very interesting. So, anyone has access to her classroom.

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

At this school, I have a key that will open front door. Then I have a key that opens my classroom door. The workroom and lounge are always open so I can use it anytime that I am here. At my old school, we were only given a key to our classroom. If we needed a key on the weekend we had to check one out. BUT we had no access to the work room, which meant no copies, no die cuts, nothing but our rooms on the weekend.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key for the....

• Back door, which opens up into my hallway (but I don't have a key for the front door of the building...go figure!)
    • Work room (we have like 3 work rooms, I have a key to just one of them)
    • Main office
    • Elevator
    • Classroom

I also have a personalized security code for entering the building after hours.

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key to the building and a key to my room. My room key also opens a storage closet but that is it. The Teachers study is always unlocked. So we can use the copy machine, laminator and get some supplies. I don't know about having a key to get in every room. That seems a little strange.

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

I am one of 3 with a key to the front gate and a key to the front door. My classroom key will open both my room and all the other classrooms. The other teachers have keys which will open their classrooms, but not mine.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I'll add that the work room I use is in another hallway (we have four main hallways), and I don't have a key for that hallway. Therefore the workroom is inaccessible to me if I come to school after hours.

There are also a number of master keys available for checkout by staff. Last year these keys weren't really monitored, so teachers were hanging onto them for months at a time. One teacher I know used her key to enter classrooms uninvited. She entered my classroom once while I was in there (crying, I might add....one of a handful of times when I've had a day that bad). She had knocked (for like 10 minutes!) and I didn't answer because I was in no mood to talk to anyone (this was during my lunch). I was SO PISSED. I don't think I've ever been that angry at school. Ugh. I went to my supervisor and asked that they confiscate her master key.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

I have a fob that unlocks the outer doors to our building, the code to arm and disarm the alarm, a key that opens all classrooms, the lounge, the copy room and the office. We all have those things. We CANNOT open the nurse's office or any of the admin offices. We also cannot open the library, but we can open the computer lab and go through the connecting door to the library, if for some reason we needed to do that.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

I only have a recess door key and a room key. No other keys are given!

10. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I have a key to the elem. building doors and my room. That's it. Very few people have a master key...they keep very close watch on those in the office.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

We don't have keys to the building, but those who teach in portables have a swipe card to let them into the school during the day. I have a key to my room, and one that opens doors to the staff washroom, computer pods and storage room. This coming year, I'm also going to ask for a key to the room where I'll be teaching English every day.

12. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

-I have a key card and code to get into the building
    -A key to the old entrance (now useless) but it is still the key to the paper room
    -I have a key to my classroom
    -I have also have a key to the office which has the copier...I'm not supposed to have that!! :whistle:

13. lv2read

lv2read Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

My key opens the main doors, any classroom, the kitchen and the library and computer labs. The staff workroom (copier, paper cutters, laminator etc) is always unlocked anyway. My key won't open the school office, where the students' records etc are kept.

For a year or two our library was keyed so that our keys wouldn't open it - very frustrating when I would want to come in on a weekend and get books to take back to my class. That was when I had the time to do that! Eventually I and others prevailed and they changed the lock

14. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

At my last school, we had keys that worked to our front and back doors of the school building, the back door into our classroom, and our pod.

At my current school, I only have a key to my room and the tutor room that is between my room and one of my team mates.

15. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

All teachers have only the key to their classroom. They put a security fence around our school last year and we don't even get a key to that. During in service, if I want to park in front of my class, I either have to honk the horn of my car and hope someone is around to let me in or call on my cell to the office to have someone come and open the gate. Good grief. We also have an alarm system that doesn't allow anyone in the school on the weekends or at night.

16. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

No one has a key to the building but the principal and custodian. We are not allowed in the building at all on the weekends or after hours. I have a key that unlocks all the classrooms (including mine), the copy room and the restroom.