Which job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shiloh17, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Aug 10, 2015

I recently was offered a PCA position from a district I interviewed at a few weeks ago. Instead of it being at the elementary school I interviewed at, the student they want to place me with is at a Quaker School. They feel the environment and class size fits the student. He is in 4th grade and suffers from seizures while he sleeps which causes him learning delays. The head of special Ed called me and left me a message, stating I would not be in a dangerous situation that the student has no behavioral issues, just needs help with skills and refocusing. Currently, I am a lead preschool teacher at a private school (Part time I only work until 11:30AM or 1PM) I like where I work, but money is an issue. I am moving and getting married this year...The PCA pay is slightly more but full time, which increases my salary a lot. This position can also potentially lead to summer employment.

So do I stay at the preschool for another year or accept this position? SO nervous I will make the wrong decision. BTW, I am certified PREK-4thGRADE. 2 years experience in the preschool classroom.

Thanks reading...sorry I am rambling...

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2015

Is your ultimate goal to be a teacher in the public school system? If so, I'd think the PCA role would be better.

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 10, 2015

You should take the PCA job. It would help you to get your foot in the door, if you wanted to become an elementary teacher. It would help give you experience working with a child with special needs. It will also help to give you a variety of experiences at a different age level of students. Just my :2cents:

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 10, 2015

Is your goal to eventually become an elementary teacher? I think the para job could help you make some contacts at a public school, but I'm not sure it would really help you get a leg up on a teaching position since you won't be doing any kind of planning or teaching as a 1:1. I honestly think the pre-k job would look better on a resume since you're the lead teacher in that position. It's much more related to what you'd be doing as an elementary teacher if that's your eventual goal.

You also mentioned that you really like your current job. Think about which aspects you enjoy most and if those things will be present in a 1:1 job. If you enjoy planning, delivering instruction, working with a class, etc. you might have a hard time being in a role where you're mainly just supervising 1 student. Personally, I would HATE a position like that. I think it just seems incredibly boring. If it were me I wouldn't switch unless the pay raise was very significant and I really needed the money.

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 11, 2015

I agree with waterfall.

I am a para now looking for a teacher position, my license is CTE. I enjoy what I do and the kids. I was one for 6 weeks because the school transferred me and I hated it. I do not like being a 1:1 para, you follow that 1 kid everywhere and in many cases do quite a bit for that student. As a 1:1 I did not feel as though I had flexibility and although other students asked for help my responsibility was to the one student I was assigned to. I felt boxed in and was extremely bored.

7. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Aug 20, 2015

I had my interview with the principal, head of special Ed and HR person. I got great feedback from it! I had to meet with the superintendent last week. She asked me a lot of interesting questions but I nailed them...she kept saying how lovely I am and she is so happy to offer me the job and see me grow in the district. Infact, she called and left a message to the principal of the central elementary school that she wants me to meet with him next week to show me around school and see where I would fit when I am not at the Quaker school. I have the meeting scheduled...he reached out to me saying how thrilled he is that I want to grow and learn at in the district. I feel like I made the decision that was best for me. I am 24 and those short hours at the preschool were not suitable for me. I will sure miss my classroom but knew I could not pass up this opportunity to grow. My director did not take the news well at all. She kept telling me she wished I told her I was interviewing?! To make a long story short, I got my things out of my room and she was much calmer in person but cried to me how sad she is to see me leave. (She also cried on the phone when I told her) I feel badly for the families that requested me and losing the connections there. We ended on a good note. I am ready for this next step.