Which Job would you take?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newtothis2006, Jun 25, 2008.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

I need some advice. I was offered two positions. Let me tell you about them.

Position A
    In same city I live in - 5 minute drive (We'll be in this same city for 2 years, can not move before then)
    Teaching 5th grade Math (haven't taught 5th grade before, taught 2nd, 3rd and didn't like younger ones as much as I did 7th and 8th)
    Pay is roughly $2ooo less annually
    Planning is shared with one team member who has no experience

Position B
    Drive is 30 minutes minimum without traffic each way (in husbands hometown, want to move there in 2 years)
    Teaching 7th grade Math (taught this last year to Resource kids)
    School system is bigger and more progressive
    Planning with a team of 4 experienced teachers
    Pay is $2000 higher than school A
    School is very old - built in 1958. (not the most friendly to the eyes)

It's a very hard decision because I hate driving long distances but I want to be in a good school district. My husband graduated from this district and his parents live there so I know it is good. But, we can't move there for at least 1-2 years. Don't know if I can handle thr driving again. I drove last year 45 minutes each way to a school, in the afternoon 1 hour.

Any advice givers out there?

Thanks!

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 25, 2008

I say take the job you think you will want to retain. If you say you are moving to town B, then you should accept that position. Job B also sounds like a place you would prefer to teach.

Good Luck with your decision & Congratulations! :)

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

Only you can make the final decision, but if I had to make this dicision, I would choose the longer commute since it would only be for a short term. Two years will go by quickly, and since you are planning on moving there anyway... I drive 40 minutes each way now with no plans on moving, but I love my job, so it is worth it. In two years this school might not have a 7th grade math position open. The final decision is yours, but I would rather work at a school where I have a bit of a drive yet I would be happy, rather than a short drive and not so happy. Good Luck!!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2008

Personally, if you plan on moving out there for the long haul, I would go with School B. If you can stick it out, since the building is so old, they will probably end up building a new school in the next few years. Good luck!

6. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

engmom- do you find yourself with less time in the evenings and worn out because of your commute? Also commute time could be valubale time spent on school work. How you you manage?

I guess I need more convincing the commute won't be so bad.

7. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

STG- They have several middle school campuses in this district - 4 I believe. So, I guess I could transfer to a newer one if I wanted to next year or the year after if that was a major issue. I'm just trying to look at all sides of it. There is something to be said about having new classrooms, and amentities.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 25, 2008

Could you move now and your husband drive back and forth? When the roads are bad you could always stay with your in laws.

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

No, I'm not worn out...and I have two kids of my own!!:haha: Sometimes I stay a little later at school and sometimes I bring work home, but that's the life of a teacher. We dismiss at 2:05--what time will you dismiss; that could make a difference. I still think that if you can tough it out for two years, you will be happier in the long run. Actually, the commute to and from school is my down time. I like the "alone" time, and the drive doesn't seem so long--I have gotten used to it. I do a lot of reflective thinking during that time.

10. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

I would make a list of pros and cons for each job. Maybe seeing it all in front of you in black and white will help clear it up for you. As for the commute, I sub and I work in schools that are close (5 minute drive) and rather far (45 minute drive...on a good weather day in Wisconsin). While I'm not a fan of long commutes myself, I would love to get a job in the far district. When I had a LTS job there I found someone to carpool with and it made it MUCH easier.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

The gas will eat up the $2000 pay difference...

12. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

What a vice to be in... =) Two good job offers! Boy would I love that! Ultimately you decide, but if you enjoy the middle school students more than the elementary, I would say go to the middle school students. I can't really say anything about the commute... but I know wherever I get a job it will probably be a 30 minute drive from where we live. A new school is nice but if you have all the cool "things" and not the supportive staff or the grade level you like, are the "things" worth it?

I haven't taught 5th grade, but I've taught 4th and I personally am not a HUGE fan of the upper grade levels, but I liked the 4th graders a lot. 5th grade would definitely be more mature than second or third graders.

Good luck with your choice!!!!

13. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 25, 2008

I have had jobs close to home and those farther away. Currently I am 30 minutes from home. I go in early to work and leave asap at the end of the day. We dismiss at 4:10 so with traffic I am not home until 5:00pm. Most days I do not mind the drive I get my mind geared for my destination-depending if it is am or pm. I have 5 children of my own so it can be harder at night when we have activities but we manage to make it to everything. You just have to decide where you would rather be, if the drive will cause you a great deal of stress and you don't plan on moving far away then stay close. But if you think you will be moving to your husbands former school district in the future then you may want to think about where you want to be in the years to come.

14. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Take Job B and here is how you can justify your drive. I drive 25 each day and the reason I really like it is because I have to really think about my day and get my head in gear. I listen to good music and pump myself up. When I get to school I am totally in the zone and ready to roll. Sometimes I even remember things I need to do right when I get to school that I had forgot about. Plus...the extra 2,000 offsets gas so it's almost like the jobs pay the same.

Another reason? I LOVE the fact that I don't live right around where I teach. Now when I go to Target, the Grocery store, (a bar) I don't run into my kids or my kids parents everywhere! Half the time I run and grab a gallon of milk and I look horrible and love not wondering if I will run into someone from school!!

Even more reasons? In 2006 in California I worked with 2 teachers who one was brand new and the other had 1 year experience. It was tough going. We all had different ideas being new and coming from different colleges and since no one had been there for a while we are all struggling to keep on top of everything since none of us had much expereince with the material we were teaching. This year, I moved to Kansas and I work with 3 FABULOUS expereinced teachers who have made my life a cake walk. I can't tell you how much better of a teacher I am now that I have had some mentors and some people to talk to who really know the ropes.

Also, if you haven't noticed on this site, there are a lot of people who are really having trouble finding jobs. You would be so upset if you and your hubby wanted to move in 2 years and this great opportunity no longer existed. Take it while you can!!

Don't stress about the commute. Use it to your advantage and trust me, the time in the morning will be fantastic. Grab a cup of coffee and call it your "Getting in the Zone" drive. A 5 minute car ride will not let you get your head in the game! Anyway, good luck with everything!

15. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Thank you so much to everyone who took time to respond. I really appreciate it. Everyone on this board is so supportive of one another. It is fantastic. I think I have come to the conclusion to take job B. Two years isn't that long. I think I can handle it. Maybe we'll even move in with his parents for a little while to save money for a place near them. (We can't afford to sell and move right now, market is bad) Wildcat- I also like how you mentioned the experienced teacher thing. I agree with you, that can make a huge difference on how my year goes. 4 heads planning is much better than 2 relatively new ones. I've made up my mind! Thank you!

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2008

Congratulations on the job offers! I also think that job B sounds like the better choice for you; it sounds like you made the correct decision for you.

17. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

Congratulations! I also think you have made the right choice!

18. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 25, 2008

I agree, I would go to the school where you intend to stay at. So I would say B. One year will go by fast. Plus the extra $$ helps.

19. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 25, 2008

CONGRATS!!

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2008

I'm glad that you have made a decision you are happy with. Congrats again!

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2008

I would also go with B because of the team you'll be working with, the fact that you want to move there eventually, and its a grade level you like.

I have a 40-45 minute commute, and like the others said, I use the time to unwind at the end of the day or pump myself up in the morning. I also like that I am far enough away from my school that I don't run into the kids all the time. Yet, I can stay afterschool to catch a little league or soccer game to watch one of my kids play.

Good luck! I think you've made the right decision!

22. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

Congrats and Good Luck! I think you made the right choice!