Which job to choose?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RFC, Jul 7, 2009.

1. RFC

RFC Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

Hey everybody. I am currently subbing in a few districts, but I may have an opportunity for a full time instructional assistant position at an elementary school. The pay is about the same, but there are health benefits. That info aside, I'm not sure which is a better option (If I don't get a permanent teaching job first!). Subbing gives me an opportunity to get into many different schools, but the assistant position gives me regular work, still in education, and that is the one I'm leaning toward. I guess my question is, is one more beneficial than the other on an application? Thanks in advance!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

In this economy, those health benefits represent a significant difference in pay. All other things being equal, I think I would lean in that direction.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

I agree with Alice. :)

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

My assistant subbed for a few years before she joined me. She said she would take the assistant job any day over subbing because of the stability.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

I agree with Alice!

7. RFC

RFC Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

Man, this place is awesome! Thank you guys for all your help!

8. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

I hate subbing, and I am an aide, so I would go for the aide position. You get to become part of the school rather than bouncing from one place to another.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 7, 2009

My Student Teaching Principal told me, "I NEVER hire subs! TAs have a chance."

I would go with the TA position.

1) You have a permanent job - for the year.
    2) Though you only meet those in ONE school- the connections are MUCH better (and you have a chance to get HUGE endorsements and recommendations).
    3) You learn THEIR curriculum and philosophies SUPER well...which would help in future interviews.
    4) You hear about and can apply for internally-announced job vacancies.
    5) Health insurance... don't poo-poo it. It's worth a LOT! My private/personal health insurance costs me over $260 a month.

The only benefit I like in subbing is that if I have something coming up-or if I am sick...I can take a day/days off without fear.

10. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I was a aide/TA this year and I definitely prefer it over subbing. Salary with benefits is nice. Although I fail to take advantage of the benefits.

11. RFC

RFC Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

Wow! Thanks for the great info! Now, let's hope I get the gig (If I don't get my own classroom, that is!):)