Which job to choose to restart elementary career

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jude7186, Jul 7, 2015.

1. jude7186

jude7186 New Member

Jul 7, 2015

I currently work full time in higher education and I've been looking for work in the public school system. I hold my teaching credential which just recently expired because I never had the opportunity to teach in order to clear my California credential.

I have two possible opportunities at this time....

-(Full Time) Kindergarten Teaching Position in a religious private school. - Unfortunately, the pay is very low (lower than my current position) but I would be getting back into teaching.

-(Part Time - 19 hours a week) Technology Instructional Assistant Position with a school district. - The major drawback is that the position is part time and the pay is low as well. On the plus side, I would be working for a school district which can lead to additional opportunities in the future)

In both cases, I would enroll in an induction program online in order to clear my credential. (hopefully by next year).

In your opinion, what would be the best path to take to get back into elementary education with a final goal of working full time for a public school district?

Thank you! :)

3. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 7, 2015

I think they both have pros and cons.
    For the K position, you're actually teaching a class at the elementary level and you're experiencing that fully.

For the assistant position, you're in a public school district and the connections to admin and other staff can't be beat.

Personally, I would pick the K position and hope for an amazing letter of reference when I ready to begin my job search in the public district.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

The tech position would get you in a public school, which it sounds like you want. See if you can check around and find out if the district tends to let people in the district move around easily as other positions open in the future.

It is part-time, but could you also work part-time in higher Ed, or at some other job to make up the difference for a year?

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

Missy has a great point if there's fluidity in the distract. If not, the kindergarten position does give you the opportunity of proving "here, I taught!"

6. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 7, 2015

I would take the K position if for nothing more than the experience of having and managing a classroom. The tech position can get you into public schools, but will future possible employers view it as classroom experiece?

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2015

:yeahthat:

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 8, 2015

Agreed. :2cents:

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 8, 2015

My mom has taught at a private school (Lutheran) for nearly 30 years. At the beginning of her career, she'd planned to move to public school; however, three decades later--she's still at the same school! She has no regrets about choosing this path.

10. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 9, 2015

I agree with this. I would take the kindergarten position even if it's not something you 100% want purely because you'll gain classroom experience.

11. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015

I was an instructional technology assistant last year. I did enjoy teaching all grades, but I got assistant pay. Plus, my goal had always been to be a classroom teacher. However, I will say that doing that job this year and building positive relationships in the work place helped me land a 2nd grade teaching position in the same school. In your case, I would definitely take the kindergarten position. While I enjoyed teaching computers, I found myself wishing I had a classroom of my own. You will definitely gain more experience teaching kindergarten all day than the tech assistant job.

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 9, 2015

I agree with the part time tech job. And it could lead to a full time tech job too! Our tech people always seem to leave at the better opportunities anyway. Good luck!

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 9, 2015

I would go for Kindergarten for the same reasons as everyone else listed for this full-time classroom teaching position.

This is more of a "real" teaching position than being an Assistant. It would look better on your resume when you're job-hunting in public schools