Which Job Do I Take? I'm torn!! HELP

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherJ4life, May 25, 2008.

1. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 25, 2008

This semester I student taught to finish my degree. The school I was assigned is an AMAZING school and noteworthy. Luckily, I was paired up with two phenomenal cooperating teachers. About two weeks before student teaching ended, the principal approached me with a job offer. It was the MOST exciting and rewarding time of my life. However, all she could give me was a verbal contract, until her budget came in and the rest of her teachers were assigned a position. However, she did promise me that I would have a position. Knowing all the budget cuts we were expecting and the fact that I was the lowest man on the totem pole, I had to pursue other options.
    I pursued an opportunity that I already was in contact with. This opportunity occurred before she even offered me the position. Our job market for elementary teachers is very BAD and I couldn't afford to be without a job. Unfortunately, I've already received my loan package and I need to start paying back ASAP.Nevertheless, it's a month later and I haven't signed anything with her, but the principal from the other school wants to sign me on. It's a BRAND NEW school and one that caters to my degree. The reason I am torned is because my heart is at the school I student taught at. I know everyone and everything and I feel honored to work in a school that is so established. However, this is a great opportunity career wise considering its brand new. We would all start with the same seniority and my job security would never be in jeopardy.
    So what do I do?
    :sorry: this is so long!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2008

I see your dilemma. Which one would you take if both contracts were in front of you right now?

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2008

I also sent you a private message.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 25, 2008

I personally would go for the new school, because you have a formal offer. The principal at the school you student taught at has made you a formal offer yet and she might not be able to. You could wait out the school that you student taught at, but then could end up without a job altogether.

Have you been in contact with the principal at the school that you student taught at? Maybe if she knows that you offer on the table she'll tell you what is happening and speed the process along. But right now personally I would take the offer at the new school, but the decision is really up to you. Good luck!

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2008

I agree with Jessica. See if you can find out what is going on and if it seems like it will continue to drag on go with the new school.

lemon

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

May 25, 2008

I would also take the offer with the new school. At least you know you will have a job. You could always check back with the school you student taught at next year and see if they have anything open. Plus I think it would be cool to be apart of opening a new school. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

8. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 25, 2008

Honestly, that's my problem. I have no clue!!!!!!! :( I feel like I will always wonder what if?

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 25, 2008

I would go back to the principal of the school you ST'd at and tell her that you have a formal offer from another school, but that you really want to work at her school. Tell her that the other school gave you x amount of time to think it over, and that you just wanted to let her know what was going on.

10. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 25, 2008

I was thinking the same thing because I really BELIEVE in honesty.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 25, 2008

How long do you have before you have to sign your contract at the new school?

12. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

May 25, 2008

Did you get a written contract from the new school? Personally I would want to teach in the new school that is catering to your degree and that you have job security in. You know that the school you student taught at is based on budget decisions what happens if they cut you at the beginning of next school year b/c of budget and low enrollment. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but I'm thinking of what I would do knowing that I graduated and now I had to pay back all that money. I would want the guaranteed job.

13. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 25, 2008

ASAP

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 25, 2008

Since you don't know for sure which one you want then I would say to definitely talk to the school where you student taught and tell them what the deal is. She might tell you she won't know anything for 3 weeks (or whatever) if that is the case, I think you should take the other one.

But you probably need to be ready just in case she says that she can offer you a specific grade and you can sign right now. Maybe you should do a pros and cons list like we suggested to another poster. What is your gut telling you?

Lemon

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

First of all, congrats on the offers! I currently teach at the school where I student taught and I love it, BUT it is very different from when I student taught. There has been a lot of turnover in both teachers and admin. Don't want the job only because you are comfortable there.

My first job was in a different school than where I student taught. I was incredibly comfortable there and felt really welcomed. I had to work a little bit harder to get to know everyone, but it was a great fit. Unfortunately it was only a one year gig and they didn't have any other openings...which led me to my current job.

I know teaching where you student taught is really great, but do it for more than just being comfortable there. Things may change quicker than you expect.

Good luck with your decision!

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 26, 2008

Just a side note: I have worked at a brand new school, and it is tough. Almost all of us were first year teachers and the principal was a first year principal. I am grateful for the job and the opportunity, but If I would have known then what I know now, I think I would have tried harder to find another job.
    The school I was at was a charter school and was not part of any school corporation. I'm sure that if the new school is part of some established district it will be better than my experience. It is beyond difficult having to make everything up as you go along.

17. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

May 31, 2008

I accepted the job at the new school. I had to think about my security first:)
    THANKS EVERYONE!
    :thanks:

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 31, 2008

Congrats and good luck!!!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 31, 2008

Congrats!

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso