Which is the better/wisest career choice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by inspireNteach, Jun 5, 2014.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jun 5, 2014

I have decided that my ultimate goal is to be a special education teacher :cool: But I am wondering if I should take a non-education job while I go through school to get certified (M.A.T. route) or if I should keep my current education-related job for the experience, foot in the door, etc.

I got hired earlier in the year as a special ed para in a middle school, but quit after two months (in order to focus more on a non-education degree that I still did not end of finishing...long story, huge regret :()

Come Feb., I ended up getting hired as a kinder para and, though it was extraordinarily tough, I finished out (read: survived) the year :)

The pay isn't great and I would need to get a second job because of my upcoming student loan repayments. I thought about quitting the para job and going into corrections (working at a jail :() for about a year/year and half in order to cash flow my education (so I won't have to take out any more loans).

I am wondering how this would look to the education community when it comes time for me to look for a teacher job. Will I look uncommitted because of the job hopping?

Would you just grin and bear it through another student loan in order to finish the cert program sooner?

WWYD?

All advice much appreciated!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 5, 2014

I would keep the para job if the ultimate goal is to be a sped teacher. Get a second job if you have to. But also look into student loan repayment plans. There are some that are based on your income and keep your monthly payments reasonable. There are also teacher loan forgiveness and public service loan forgiveness options available. Taking out more loans certainly isn't ideal, but the experience and connections/references you make at this school will likely benefit you I your future teaching job search.

4. Abeja

Abeja Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

I'm curious about why the job as a kinder para was extraordinarily tough for you? Also, what other experience do you have in education?

I was a kinder TA for 2 years and am currently a middle school ELD assistant. Just last month one of the teachers I was assisting quit rather unexpectedly, so I scrambled to get my sub credential and am currently covering her classes through the end of the year. I'm hoping that this will eventually help me get a full-time teaching job at this school, but I never would have had this opportunity if I hadn't been an assistant at the time.

I totally get that the pay can be a drag, but the experience has been invaluable and I've learned a lot about the school system. I think that experience working in the school system would be much more likely to get you considered for a teaching job down the road.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 6, 2014

When I was a special ed teaching assistant I had a 2nd job and was going to school for my masters. It was a lot of work but they did hire me as a teacher a few weeks before I graduated. I think it gives great experience. I would definitely try to get an aide job in the type of classroom you eventually want to teach in. If you don't want to teach Kindergarten then get a different aide position.