Which is better?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lindydish, Apr 22, 2009.

?

Which is better?

1. Email a principal in hopes of getting an interview

11.1%
  2. Walking in to visit a principal in hopes of getting an interview

38.9%
  3. Both 1 & 2

50.0%
  1. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

Discuss.

I want to see what others think before I chime in.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2009

Walk in.

Be, at least, "that nice teacher who dropped off her resume."

What do you have to lose?

4. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Apr 22, 2009

Well..I'm out of state, applying for everything within 30 miles of where i'm moving back to (my hometown). I have been SENDING My cover letter and resume to EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL (plus the district office), and filling out all of the online information if there IS an online application. AFter sending out my cover letter and resume to the principal, I wait about 5 days (since it's safe to say it will be there from Florida in that amount of time), I email the principal to Reiterate my interest, and to "make sure they received my cover letter and resume", adn this usually opens up conversation with the principal. They usually let me know a little more information about the position. I then wait a couple weeks and if I don't hear anything, I then email the principal again to inquire about the status of the position. I have to do something because I don't have the option to walk in since i'm coming from out of state...I've been in contact with many since January before positions were posted, and some are JUST NOW beginning to post finally.

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Apr 22, 2009

I have sent e-mails and then I snail mail. I have only heard something from one P saying she will contact me if she has any more positions that come available.

I guess I should start sending a 2nd e-mail asking if they received my info. I don't want to be a pain though.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2009

I am applying about 4.5 hours away, in a different state. I sent my applications in to HR for each district (and to the schools themselves for charter and private...) a few weeks ago. Last week, I emailed principals saying I was visiting the area and would love to meet with them. Didn't get any responses from that, but I took 2 days and visited 18 schools - in suit and heels with folders of my info. Some of the principals were impressed, some took time to talk with me, and at one school I ended up staying for 45 minutes!

Now, I've just got to wait and see what happens...I emailed thank yous to the principals that took time to sit and talk to me... but most everyone said they were waiting till June for the budget before they did any hiring.

7. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

I was signing in at the office of my son's school the other day and watched a young hopeful with packet in hand (maybe it was one of you...) try to speak to the principal. She got a very cold reception from the secretary. She ask if Mrs. So and So was in and when the sec said no, she asked when would be a good time to come back. The secretary said she didn't know. The woman walked out without leaving her packet.

It was nice to experience a drop in without having to put myself out there. I mailed a letter to this principal. I know it will be different everywhere. I might still try it at other schools. Some secretaries might be really helpful. I thought it was a mistake for the woman not to leave her packet, though.

What do you think?
    Melissa

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2009

I have always gotten a warm reception from secretaries when I've dropped off my packet. If the principal wasn't in, I always left it so I agree that the woman should have left it behind. I just don't think emailing or mailing directly to the principals is enough anymore.

9. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

Well, it looks as if I'm not subbing today so I'm heading over to one district to drop off my resume and introduce myself to the secretary/principal. I worked in another district yesterday and as a way to support the students I've been working with all year (and kiss up to the faculty) I went to their huge showchoir concert. The kids were fantastic, btw. Next week I'll head over to a couple more schools if I happen to have the day off, otherwise I'll email.

I agree with whatever poster said that they want to be the squeaky wheel, but not the one that causes the district to buy a totally different car. (I hope that made sense...it's early on a Friday!)

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 24, 2009

I think that there is a class that school secretaries must attend to learn that cold as ice attitude...and how to shift back and forth between ..

sweetness, sweetness, ice, sweetness

(Honor Students can do it the other way around. Those seem to be the ones principals would favor when salespersons and candidates come to call. - Or when teachers come in and say..."could you do me a tiny favor?")

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 24, 2009

I used to do both. I would hand deliver my resume packet. I never did get to see a principal. So than I would email the principal. I did receive a lot of responses from principals when I emailed them.

12. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Apr 24, 2009

Walking in with my packet is how I got my job. The prinicpal was not there, but the secretary and I hit it off. I am sure she said nice things about me. I had a job at that school within a week of dropping off my resume.
    Best of luck!

13. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

I'm hoping the pattern repeats itself like it has for the last couple of posters. No principals were available, but I did leave my resume/cover letter with two schools. (The third didn't want to accept anything) I'll wait until Monday to email the principals, just to say that I was sorry that I missed them and then I'm stuck in limbo again.

This sucks.

14. TechTeach09

TechTeach09 Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

Most secretaries point fingers--so play nice with them. I tried hard to NOT brown nose and it actually made me look unfriendly. They also need buttering Up.