Which is better to work for: private, charter or public school in Florida and will th

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by history, Jan 16, 2014.

1. history

history Companion

Jan 16, 2014

I am trying to get feedback from teachers already in the field. Which type of school would be better to work for in Florida, private, charter or public? If you work for a charter or private school will it be hard to obtain a teaching position at a public school in another state? The reason I ask this is , usually school districts like to see you have experience while working under your certification and private along with some charter schools don't require a teacher's certification.:confused:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2014

That question can't really be answered on a general basis. It is going to be depending on the district and the school. Some charters are considered district school, some are private. Some public schools are wonderful, some aren't. Same thing with private schools.

Most districts will give you credit for working in public schools, some may give credit for private or charters.

You will probably have to narrow your search to the areas you want to work in and then do your due diligence about all the schools in that area.

We have members here from all parts of Florida, so if you ask specific questions about different districts, someone should be able to help.

Good luck with your job search.

4. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jan 16, 2014

I've only seen charters in Ohio and Illinois but many of them have been awful. They just don't know how to run a school as well as public schools with veteran people who have been doing this for a long time. I've also found that the administration in charter schools is just really unprofessional. Now ofcourse there are some charter schools that are great schools and do it well. But for the most part, I've seen alot that are horrible. That's what deters me from working at a charter school. Usually public schools dislike the charter schools because they take a lot of funding away from the public schools.

5. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jan 16, 2014

Excellent advice given here from this member. I couldn't even begin to share an opinion on this topic given that I've only worked in Florida public schools.

6. history

history Companion

Jan 16, 2014

I will be doing my classroom training with the Palm Beach County School District, through and alternative certification program.
    I always think two moves ahead when it comes to employment. My concern is if I can't get hired by a public school and the only choice for the time being is a private or charter school, I may consider moving out of state if the public route never com:confused:es about, so I would need to make sure some of the states will give me credit(experience) for being employed by a charter or private school while holding my certification.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2014

Unless the school has a reputation for slacking and for hiring slackers, I think you're worrying a bit more than you need to. As long as there's clear evidence that you've done what you'd have done in a public school - you've taught as nearly to state standards as possible and students have learned (hint: plan on collecting samples of student work), I think you should be fine.