Which is better? aide position or subbing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dcnuck, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I am so tired of waiting for a phone call and have applied for everything that is in my area. I am just about resigned to subbing. However I was wondering which would be better---subbing or taking an assistant position of some sort just to get my foot in the door? What do you all think? Thanks. I am certified to teach early childhood and elementary and have taught for the past five years

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

I think it depends on your personal preferences. I used to get bad anxiety from day-to-day subbing, so I would prefer an aide position if I had to choose between the two.

As far as getting your foot in the door, I would think that being an aide would provide more opportunities to be observed. Others on this site have had more experience with this dilemma than me! Hopefully some of them can chime in!

4. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jul 16, 2009

thanks for responding. I enjoyed subbing and it didn't bother me as long as I got there early. I am just worried about making enough money for bills

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

I agree with Erin. It is a matter of preference. It also may depend on your districts hiring practices and size. For me, I choose aide for two reasons 1)the district is too big and I wouldn't become recognized if I rarely am in the same school twice. As an aide I am making great connections, getting letters of rec, and the P knows who I am. 2) I do need the dependable paycheck. Subbing pays more day-to-day, but you can't always rely on being called regularly in the surrounding districts by me.

I do know that there have been just as many subs as aides getting teaching positions out there. You just have to way your own pro's and con's in your area. Good Luck!!!

6. RFC

RFC Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I subbed from January to May and I thought it was ok. I didn't like having to check the subfinder for a job each day. I have interviewed for two aide positions and I hope I am offered at least one of them. The pay is about the same as subbing. However, I would get full benefits and guaranteed hours. Plus, this district is building 2 new elementary schools for the 2010 school year and this would be a great foot in the door.

In my situation, the aide job would be better. Take a look at the pay and benefits (or lack thereof), as well as location.

7. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I chose to be an aide over subbing because I wanted to go the same campus every day and have a reliable paycheck. I also thought I would be an aide for a year and become a teacher there. I ended up not wanting to work there as a teacher or an aide, but the woman who had the position the year before me was a teacher this year. We also had a long term sub that became an English teacher, so it definitely happens both ways.

In this economy, I would go with a reliable aide position.

8. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Jul 16, 2009

AIDE...for sure! I know a fair amount of aides who were later hired as teachers

9. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jul 16, 2009

thanks for your replies I guess I should apply for some support positions that are open also I planned on trying to sub at about four different school districts but then I also thought like everyone is saying maybe an aide would get me somewhere faster then the principal would know me

10. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

From my experience with subbing, I would rather have the aide position. The reason is, even though I have subbed in multiple districts for the entire school year, I only subbed for 70 days total. The aide position you would be at the school every day and you get more opportunities to make an impression.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 17, 2009

I vote for subbing. It's a foot in the door in most districts.

12. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I'd take an aide position over subbing any day! In a permanent position, the staff gets to see what you're about and know you more than they would a sub. Just my opinion, though. Good luck in the one you pursue!

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 17, 2009

Depends on your district. However, with so many good certified teachers out of work, I think the sub pool is gigantic. I would probably go with aide position.

If you could get a long term sub job, my answer would be subbing.

14. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

I think it depends on the district and hiring P as well.

I think both positions could be looked at differently. Both are valued positions.

My P just hired an aide with the same certification I have. I was upset about this and I asked some of the teachers at the school about being "looked over." They all told me the same thing. It wasn't something I would want and my sub position would be better. I still don't know if I agree and I ALSO don't know if they told me that just because they want to keep a good sub around for them to use.

I really don't know what I think.

15. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Do you know any teachers in the districts you're looking to sub or be an aide in? I know one of the larger urban districts around me always hires their aides if there is an open position for the next year. You're pretty much guaranteed a job for the next school year. I'm hoping to get an aide job if I don't get a full-time position.

I do know that some districts are the exact opposite though; they never hire aides or even subs. It just depends on the district.

16. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I go with aide; guaranteed work and benefits. Same school every day and more respect from the kids. Subs get eaten alive sometimes and I found that in my area a good sub is never hired.

17. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Aide position for sure. There are many benefits:
    1. Your paychecks will always be the same.
    2. Sick days! And again, you get paid for them.
    3. Insurance!!!!!
    4. Retirement benefits

Plus, being in a school means that you are around the same people all day. It's THOSE people who will help you get a teaching job. Your principal can recommend you, and who knows? Maybe one of the first grade teachers in your school golfs every weekend with the principal from X school. Boom, instant connection. It really is all about who you know. We've hired two people for next year, and I think we're hiring two more this summer. Both of those people who have already been hired had connections paving their way. I know I did when I got my job (I went from an aide to a teacher).

I know that each area is different, but in my area subs don't really get hired as often as aides. It's mostly because they're only in buildings sporadically and it's hard to stand out. If it's down to two candidates and one is an aide while the other is a sub, they'd have a much better idea of how the aide would work out rather than the sub.