Which generalist test? EC-6 or 4-8

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by texashistory, Jul 15, 2014.

1. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Jul 15, 2014

Right now I'm studying for the EC-12 sped and EC-6 generalist in Texas.

I'm confused on how Sped works. In Tx you have to have a generalist certification in addition so a EC-6 with EC-12 sped is qualified to teach sped in high school? Not life skills but say as resource. Middle school as well?

I'm trying to figure out which generalist is best. 4-8 seems right but the idea of the math and IPC type of science really worries me. I completely get earth, astronomy, biological but chemistry is like teaching a 5 year old chemistry. It just does not click at all.

My passion is special education but I've always said I could totally do history. As told by my name. I get and LOVE history and geography but it's pretty saturated and I can't teach sports so that's a no.

3. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I would assume it would be the 4-8.. maybe either one will work? Are you taking them through a program or school? Maybe an advisor can help? I think as long as you have one or the other it should not matter but since 4-8 is closer to high school I would go that way..

4. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

I'm going to highly recommend you add ESL supplemental after you get your initial certification. There are many districts in Texas who'll pass your entire application and resume if you don't have it. Many districts including the one where I work in N. Texas are starting to require you have it to keep your contract.

5. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

I just took the ESL test and am now studying for the 4-8 generalist. Yikes!

6. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Jul 24, 2014

ESL is on the agenda during my first year barring everything goes according to plan and prayer and I get a job.

I plan on staying in Texas (COL + teacher's salary = not really in the poor house as opposed to many states and areas). I know ESL is an absolute must here.

I'm sticking with EC-6 then later maybe specializing in ELA 4-8. I just cannot do higher level math and science. I've taught in on an elementary level and basic concepts and building blocks of math but adding formulas and such the kids would be correcting my errors :unsure:

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 24, 2014

Sounds like a good plan. :)
    Get your ESL soon as you can and good luck.