Which do you prefer, elementary or middle school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lily07, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Lily07

Lily07 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

I know this is a broad question that has probably been asked several times (but if that time happens to have been recently, then please point me in the direction of that thread because I've been unable to find it).
    I thinking about getting my masters in education and teaching certificate, but I'm not sure whether to go for elementary or secondary certification. I've observed both elementary and middle school classes, but I don't want to limit myself to only one or the other, but it looks like I'll have to. So if you will, which do you prefer and why, if you've had the luxury to teach both levels?
    Thanks in advance.:)

3. ctmem

ctmem Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

Middle School Only

I have taught high school, middle school, and middle school in a k-8 (so I see the elementary kiddos).

I have to say that it is middle school only for me. Call me nuts, but I am drawn to the little nut cases. The elementary folks are too whiny, and the high school kids are far to arrogant.

My Passions:
    www.teachersoffaith.com
    www.lost.contentquake.com
    www.iphone.contentquake.com

4. ch106

ch106 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

From my perspective and my twelve year teaching experience, I prefer elementary. I have taught from grade 1 to nine, teaching primary, to me, is more like talking to yourself and it would be better off running a play center. Elementary students are at the peak of their school years, this is where students HAVE to tune in to come to realize what is ahead for the future, they are pressured by their parents to really listen, or they are in trouble. I find Middle school is exhausting and students just don't want to listen, or they just have no cares at all, along with the bad-mouthing and swearing at one another, my patience just can't take it. I would really reccomend teaching Elementary.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2008

Middle school is my hands-down favorite. There is too much to do with the little ones . . . tying shoes, buttoning pants, opening milk, crafts . . . and having them ALL DAY LONG. And I really think if I had 5th grade boys I'd be in jail.

Middle school is an interesting mix of little kids in hormone-laced adult-sized bodies. They are passionate about everything . . . even the ones who give the "don't care" attitude really work at that with all they've got. LOL

If they think you like them, treat them with respect, and treat them fairly they will do anything for you.

They're not for everybody though. People either hate middle school or love middle school. I've yet to meet anyone who kind of likes them.

6. ch106

ch106 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

I must say, I hate middle school.. LOL Elementary is my favorite. I guess everyone has their differences.

7. Lily07

Lily07 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

ch106, from my observations so far, I agree with you. When thinking about my options, I try to remember myself and my classmates at that age, and I always wanted to please my teacher and my parents in elementary and cared less about what they thought after 6th grade. When I observed an 8th English class, the students were disruptive and showed off for the "visitor" and were not in the least interested in the lesson. I tried to take into account that it was a Friday afternoon, but I can see how that would be tiring. The only thing that really draws me to middle school is having the opportunity to have a semi-mature discussion about literature and even grammar, but I don't know if the disruptive behavior would make it worth it. Do you find that the among the elementary grades there is a specific grade you prefer?

8. Lily07

Lily07 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

ImaTeacher, which grade do you teach/prefer?

9. ch106

ch106 Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

Among all of the grades which I have taught, I find grade five one of the best to teach. I have been teaching grade five for three years now and I love it, I think I will stay at this grade level for a long time. Also, before I graduated from university, I did a job shadow with a grade 7 class, and boy, it was misery, it didn't really discourage me though, I knew I would have my chance with the elementary kids and when I got my own elementary homeroom class, it was amazing and by far my best teaching experience. One year I had my own grade eight homeroom since the teacher was on educational leave and I taught them Language and Math, two of the core subjects, so that meant I saw them almost every day and the students were extremely hyper, and like you said, they were show off's. The girls were non-stop talkers and the boy's were showing off to the girls, of course. I find elementary kid's more focused, and are more worried about who will love who in the middle school years.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2008

I have taught kinder and 2nd grade. I have subbed in every grade from prek to 8th. I have to say that when I first went into my education program I didn't think I would teach middle school w/ a 10 foot pole. After subbing times for a 4th grade class and working tutoring 5th grade, I would LOVE to teach these grades, but I have found that I love middle school too.

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 4, 2008

I have taught K-8 music and regualr classroom. I love fourth and fifth. They're not whiny (for the most part) and don't have the attitude of the MS. :2up: One downside though may be the testing that occurs in many grade levels.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2008

My first choice would be to teach high school math, in particular to the honors math kids. I also really enjoy teaching the 4th and 5th grade level kids.

But I get a particular pleasure when I walk into a middle school classroom and hear someone say "Oh boy we have ourselves a Sub"...... That kid is in for a long day..... :D:D:D... and the whole class benefits from a lecture on respect......:p:p

Major..:)

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2008

I've subbed K-12 and taught 6-9, 11-12. When we were a 7-8 school I liked the 8th graders better, but once we changed to a 6-8 school the 7th graders are my favorites. I've taught them exclusively for quite a few years.

14. maroki

maroki Comrade

Feb 4, 2008

I definitely prefer elementary school, mostly the younger grades (K-2) if possible. I've subbed up through 6th grade, and it is the little ones that I am really drawn to. There is something so riveting to me about their boundless curiousity and endless stream of questions, and I love feeling like I'm building a part of their most basic educational foundation. That being said, in early elementary I also deal with my share of tears, tantrums, and accidents...

15. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Feb 4, 2008

I have taught or subbed in every grade level. I am certified k-12. When I first started out, I would have taught either elementary or high school English. I have been teaching elementary for many years now. I love it! Middle school takes a special person. The kids are going through so much then and can be difficult to deal with. Some people truly love it.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 4, 2008

Lets see I tutored high school students for five years, worked as an aide with a high school student for three. I loved my job just didn't like the pay.
    I have worked in kindergarten (not counting last year) for two years and first grade for one year as an aide. I loved all of those jobs yet again pay stunk.
    Last year I taught kindergarten to 8th grade. I LOVED IT. It is the best job I ever had. The only problem was it was 230 miles away from home. I was sick of traveling home every weekend. SOooooooo
    This year I am teaching kindergarten. I love kindergarten. But I miss the middle schoolers. But I think I would miss kindergarten if I was in middle school. Sigh I want to move my school from last year closer to home.

I guess I am not much help. You probably should go visit different grade levels to see what you feel most comfortable in.

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 4, 2008

I always thought I would end up in middle school (I am certified K-8) but have really found I LOVE 3rd grade! I have taught 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, and just adore 3rd.

18. Mr. Teacher

Mr. Teacher New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Most of the people I have talked to either can not stand middle school or they absolutely love it and would not teach anything else.

You should really try to get some experience in both settings to determine which is for you.

19. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Feb 7, 2008

I think 4th Graders are some of the best people in the world. They're young enough to still be really excited about school, but they're old enough to start having reasonable, informed opinions about different areas. I love to talk to my class and get their ideas about our history topics.

I've taught 4th Grade for 18 years -- they'll have to pry me out of my classroom.

20. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

I have taught Preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st. I recently started subbing and found I really enjoy the upper elementary, particularly 4th grade! It all depends on what you want to be dealing with. With the smallest children, a lot of your time is spent tyeing shoes and dealing with "so and so won't play with me." Tattling is also big with the little ones. And, management, management, management. It's all about managing every minute of their time because otherwise they lose attention and stop focusing. But the little ones are just so dang cute, that how can you not love them? With the older elementary, you can have deeper conversations with them. You can reason with them and you get to teach them more advanced stuff. You're no longer focusing on reading for the sake of learning to read, but you're focusing on reading to gain information and for enjoyment. With the middle school, it's raging hormones and testing new boundaries all the way. They have a lot more freedoms than they did in elementary school and most of them decide to test the limits. High School, they're just too big for me. I have a hard time teaching them when they are taller than me. :)