Which apartment would you choose?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by waterfall, Jun 14, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

I've narrowed it down to two companies that I'm looking at. I'm moving in about four weeks and they generally hold places for you for up to two, so I'm hoping to be able to go down there and get my specific unit in about two weeks:). When you factor in things like utilities the two options are around the same price.

Option 1:
    pros:
    1.location, location, location! It's in what is supposed to be the best city neighborhood for young professionals. It's not right downtown but it is in a very nice looking walkable area attached to a large park.
    2. heat, trash, water, and internet are included- on the other hand though, in my experience when an apartment provides internet it's very poor quality and I use mine a lot so that would be a big deal for me, and since heat is provided that also means it's controlled by the building meaning I have no control over what the actual temperature is
    3. looks really nice- the apartment has really nice wood floors with stainless steal appliances, and the building is cute/artsy looking

cons:
    1. commute- about 20 minutes to work, but traffic is really bad in this area, so it could potentially be double that, especially in bad weather which would be frequent in the winter
    2. size- 520 sq. feet
    3.what I mentioned above about the heat and internet
    4. no covered parking available- and we get A LOT of snow!

Option 2:
    pros:
    1. size- 760 sq. feet
    2. gym and pool included, washer/dryer in my apartment included
    3. individual garage available for rent- I would have to pay for it, but I think it's worth it
    4. commute- about 10 minutes to work, very little traffic

cons:
    1. location- Although it's obviously a safe neighborhood, since it is a suburb I'm worried it will be more older/family oriented. There is a ton more stuff to do than where I live now (everything is within 5 minutes, but you'd have to drive, not walk), so there is a lot available but I'm mostly afraid that it would be hard to meet other people my age.
    2. not as nice looking as the other place (certainly not bad or anything, but the other place just looks like a really nice place to live, whereas this looks like your typical suburb siding building!)
    3. extra fees for pets- but still within my budget

So essentially, I would be picking option 1 for the location or option 2 for all of the amenities. I just can't decide! I kind of want to try living near the city to see if I like it, and I think it would be easier to meet people being new to the area. However, I know the second one would be a much nicer place with everything that it offers, and I'll probably be meeting a lot of people through my district anyway, regardless of where I live. I really wanted a place that included a washer/dryer (I know it sounds kind of silly, but I hate, hate, hate having to drag my laundry around to do it other places) and one that included a garage just due to the fact that our winters are pretty bad. However, neither of those two things are available in city apartments that I've been able to find. So which one would you choose?

3. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 14, 2012

I would take #2 just because of the washer/dryer and the garage. The location would be good for you at #1 but everything else is at #2. You know you could always move again if you didn't like whatever choice you make!!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

It sounds like you are leaning towards #2. Could you ride a bike to some of the nearer amenities of the neighborhood?

5. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

A washer/dryer in the apartment is a must for me. I would pick option 2, but then again I'm old and don't care about going out too much.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2012

Option 2- I would want the washer and dryer.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

Two.

I see people on House Hunters looking at homes without laundry machines and it blows my mind. And not being able to control the temperature? Eek!

9. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 14, 2012

Just for the washer/ dryer I would pick #2.

I'd ask about the heat though if you do go for option #1. We have heat included in our rent where we live right now and we can adjust the temperature to wherever we need it. The only thing they told us NOT to do is turn it completely off during the winter.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 14, 2012

#2 - commute, washer/dryer, parking.

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

Washer/dryer, control of the temperature, closer to work, and 5 minutes to things is like nothing. Plus 200 sq. ft. more of space is a lot in a small place like that.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

A washer/dryer is a must-have for me, so I'd go with that option, hands down.

Are you sure that the complex can control the heat since heat is included? I've always had heat included in the cost of my apartments, but I've also always had access to the thermostat and full control over the temperature.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

You're in a snowy climate.

Number two offers a shorter commute, a garage,and a washer/dryer--- all thngs that can make a HUGE difference in snowy weather.

As far as meeting people go, you can always take a class or join a gym; there ARE singles in the 'burbs, you just have to find them.

For me, there would be no question-- number two!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

I would go for #2 also. Having the extra space, a garage, a washer/dryer and a shorter commute would seal the deal for me.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 14, 2012

Garage is great, is there a washer in the building of first?

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 14, 2012

I don't think I would be happy without a washer and dryer and the short commute would be so nice. Option 2 would definitely be it for me!

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

It sounds like we have all made your decision for you! Happy move :hugs:

18. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 14, 2012

#2 covered parking with winter weather is a must as is a washer and dryer. Living close to the city would be fun, but after a few weeks of winter weather driving , lugging laundry around in the cold, the fun might turn to regret.

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

:lol: me too!!!

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

See Waterfall?? We'd all be your neighbors cuz we'd go for #2...and we're pretty nice folks! :hugs:

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 14, 2012

I think you will regret no washer and dryer. No. 2 sounds better.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 14, 2012

I'd go with 2 as well. I don't know what I would do without my washer and dryer. I'd also like the extra space. I moved into an "old people" neighborhood as a late 20's single. Love it here! Of course, I'm also in the country and have to drive 20-50 miles for anything to do anyway.

Garage is nice as well. I miss mine. I still have it, but my current vehicle is too tall to fit into it!

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

I would go with 2. Lugging laundry is not fun! Plus I'm not sure I could survive in 500 sf!

As others said, I had heat included before and it just meant that they paid the gas bill. I could adjust it however I wanted.

24. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

Wow, big consensus! I was definitely leaning towards 2, but my friends from around where I currently work were telling me that was crazy and people my age don't move to _______ (suburb). They think I'd be nuts to be so close to all of those city neighborhoods and not take advantage of it. One of the reasons I'm moving in the first place is that I wanted to get out of the small resort town and into the city, so I get it...but compared to where I live now, the suburb definitely has a lot more to offer! Where I live now, I'm literally 2 hours away from shopping! I don't have a washer/dryer now but it was one of the things I was looking for specifically since it drives me nuts that I don't have one. I didn't have a garage all through college in a pretty snowy climate and it wasn't terrible, but if it's available I'd definitely fork over the extra money. I think I'll probably just go with option 2 on a 9 month lease, and if I find myself wishing I was in the city I could always move after that. My new school is not necessarily the "inner city" district, but it is a rougher area and as a result many of the teachers are younger- so I'm hoping I'll just meet a lot of people my age through the district. My current coworkers are great- I really do like them a lot, but almost all of them are about 10-20 years older than me and married and/or have children and we're just in totally different places socially. They're all about their kids (or hoping and planning to have kids) and I am just not ready for that stage yet. The SLP is the only one who is around my age and the staff joke is always that things they talk about are "before our time."

I know the heat is controlled by the building in #1 because several people mentioned in their reviews that it was too cold and there was nothing they could do since the building controlled it. Other people said it was fine, but either way I know I have no control over what temp it is since they run it for the whole building. There is "on site" laundry, which might be better if it's actually in my building- my current place has "on site" laundry too, but it's all the way across the complex and I literally have to drive my laundry over there! I also waste a lot of money paying for each load.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

Maybe not, but they do grow up there!!! There ARE singles your age there, you just have to find them.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 15, 2012

I would pick option 2 as well.

27. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 15, 2012

Having the ability to do laundry on your own time and in your own home would convince me. I would go with number two also.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2012

I say MOST definitely #2 due to the washer & dryer, garage & square footage (& yes, in that particular order). I just moved into my apt a little over a wk ago, but I pretty much knew since April 27th that this 1 was going to be it. I personally don't give a flying fig about community amentities (pool, gym, etc.) because I'll never use them. I have my own gym membership. The only amenity I care about is my own washer & dryer because the last thing I want to do is lug clothing back & forth, up & down stairs, etc. to some old stinky, public laundry room...HUGE, HUGE hassle!

I used to be hung up more on square footage, but I soon didn't care about that so much after a while. But I'm glad my apt's in the 700 sq footage range.
    There are a few minor things I wish my apt had, but oh well. I really wish I had an attached garage to my apt entrance, but the walk from my detached garage to my apt isn't too far.

I think I made a great choice & I hope you're just as happy as I am. :)

29. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

#2! I have to have my own washer/dryer. I would also love the gym and more room. My house is only 500 something sq feet, and it sucks! When I first moved here it was okay because it was my first home. However, the longer you have your own place, the more junk you acquire! You could always move if you later change your mind. Good luck!

30. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jun 16, 2012

#2 - I would hate to not have my own washer and dryer and not being able to control the temperature would drive me batty.
    How long would your initial lease be? You could always see how you go with meeting people etc and move if it doesn't work out.

31. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

Alright, you all convinced me! I decided I'm definitely going with #2. In the end, I decided you have to grow up some time and it was just not practical to
    -get up 20 minutes early every day in the winter to defrost/de-snow my car with no covered parking
    -be constantly uncomfortable due to not being able to adjust the temperature in my own apartment, or not having a/c
    -drive further in hectic traffic day after day
    -worry about safety or auto thefts
    -find some way to live in a shoebox sized apartment
    -listen to constant noise
    -lug my laundry around to do it somewhere else
    -pay more

to have access to nightlife one night a week. I'm going with a 10 month lease so if I hate it I can always move at the end of the school year. I am glad that decision is over! Next stop, kitty shelter :)

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2012

Yay! :)

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 18, 2012

Good call. It's a lot easier to drive to the nightlife once a week than to deal with multiple daily-living inconveniences.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2012

waterfall, good choice for sure! My complex is in what I think is 1 of the 3 hearts of the city. There's not exactly what one would call night life, but mainly tons of places to eat & I'm diagonally across the street from a huge outlet mall.

By the way, being in southern CA, I never have to worry about snow anyway.

35. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2012

I have a parking spot instead of a garage, and in the winter, it's terrible to have to shovel snow off of your car. (Ice is the worst though.)

I think you made the right choice!