Whether or Not You Like CC, You Have to Admit This is Funny

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherman1, Mar 30, 2014.

1. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 30, 2014

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

I'm not a fan where he talks about scripted lessons. My lessons have never been scripted. I'm not told what to teach at all by anyone in my school. I have complete and total freedom to teach books like In the Garden of Beasts and do a post-Holocaust genocide unit. To imply that CC is just scripted lessons does a disservice to schools like mine. The CC HS English standards truly don't differ much from our old standards in Ohio. The only thing I do differently is include more nonfiction, which I think is a good thing.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2014

:thumb:

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 30, 2014

I hope you realize that your school is what I would want for all schools. Unfortunately, due to poor implementation or whatever, more and more schools are moving in the opposite direction.

This is from a recent rant from (believe it or not) the Superintendent of Schools in Ludlow, Massachusetts:
    Enough is enough!
    "It is time for educators to push back against the standardized, centralized, top-down mandate driven school reform environment. I agree with the need for standards, but those standards need to be broadly written. Local communities, school boards, administrators and teachers should then be afforded the flexibility to demonstrate how they have worked to creatively to implement local initiatives in order to meet those broadly construed standards. The problem is that it is difficult to boil down creativity to a data point and that makes bureaucrats uncomfortable to say the least." http://superintendentlps.blogspot.com/2014/03/enough-is-enough.html

Hopefully you see that this is where education has been heading for years, and is reality for many, many, school districts - especially those in high-poverty areas - don't you?

Steve

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Oregon-teacher-about-Common-Core--252827781.html

"Even some teachers have felt overwhelmed.

“They're in the trenches, they're making what works, it's survival,” said Darryl Coppedge, a third grade math teacher in the North Clackamas School District. He said while Common Core provides new standards, it doesn’t come with new curriculum or materials. “You’re trying to gather materials and they're not out there, and we have to buy them sometimes.”"

Seems not everyone agrees, Teacherman. Teachers are looking for materials because their districts aren't mandating anything for them.

Not sure why you keep trying to beat this dead horse. Maybe districts are purchasing curriculum because teachers in their district who don't see things the way you do are clamoring for them.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

I openly admit that I don´t know too much about CCSS. Our school is just now adopting them so I have been paying more attention to them as of recently. However, one think I really like about them is that they are broad.

9. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 30, 2014

Just the fact that your "school is just now adopting" CC tells me that, by bringing this up again, I am definitely not :beatdeadhorse:

This nag is definitely very much alive and on the run.....

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2014

What do you find 'broad' about the standards? I would describe them as narrow, but deep.

Teacherman, remember that Tami is in MEXICO, not one of the 44 states that have adopted the standards.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

Sorry, let me rephrase. I find them narrow in what they are requesting, but broad in terms of how you could approach meeting the standard.

examples:

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.1.7
    Use illustrations and details in a story to describe its characters, setting, or events.

This standard doesn´t tell me what story to use, how to teach finding details, so it is broad enough that I can pull from my own resources.

Another example

Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity:
    CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.1.10

With prompting and support, read prose and poetry of appropriate complexity for grade 1.

Again, it is broad enough that I have to be the teacher expert on what is appropriate and complex, but narrow enough that I know my students should be looking at prose and poetry.

Yes, I am in Mexico. My school is an international American school which is why we are looking into this, but it´s fair to say that the majority of schools here would not be adopting CCSS.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 30, 2014

I cracked up right here. This is the main reason why I don't really care about Common Core. It's what good teaching is anyway and we pretty much already do it.

I also concur with those who are saying that we haven't seen any scripted lessons or anything either.

The schools who are doing scripted lessons I think are schools who have probably always done scripted lessons as that would be the teacher management style of a particular type of administrator.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

The 6-12 History standards are as broad and vague as possible. They are grouped by grades (6-8, 9-10, 11-12) so they are not even grade-level specific and they are not content level specific. They are basically ELA standards that want the teacher to use non-fiction sources to teach these standards. The old Maryland standards, the VSCs, were grade-level and content level specific.

Personally, I have no issues with the CCSS or scripted curriculums. To each, their own.

14. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Mar 30, 2014

I don't have a problem with the common core standards. I do have a problem with the curriculum/materials my district is now requiring us to use. No, they are not scripted lessons, but we pretty much have to follow the specific format and use the assessments provided. The curriculum is very poor, mostly due to the rush job and the fact that the writers were trying to write it to match up with PAARC before PAARC had been written. The lessons are extremely convoluted and difficult to understand the way they are written and are honestly not that engaging for the students. (For example, reading a three page selection and then using that as the basis for two weeks' worth of lessons on various reading skills, which has the effect of the students reading less, rather than more.) We also are receiving them in a very untimely fashion, so that we have little/no time to spend on prep before we need to be ready to teach the unit. (Some units we have received AFTER the supposed start date.) We have received almost no training with the new curriculum/instructional strategies/assessment methods that we have been told to implement. Our administration/resource staff hasn't received any, either. That is just for the ELA part.
    For math, it's been better, though we were told we'd cover less topics but in greater depth. I don't actually see that happening though, instead they've added on fractions/decimals to every single unit and haven't dropped any units so we are very behind when it comes to covering curriculum.
    Again, this is not due to the actual CCSS, rather the way my district is implementing them.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

What I wish schools would realize is that, from what I see in CCSS, these standards allow for such a rich variety of different resources. It makes the teacher the expert, not a watered down scripted textbook. However, for the CCSS to be effective, districts and admin have to see the potentional that exists.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

From what I understood CCSS are ELA and math, however it integrates the subjects. It actually calls on other content teachers to be teachers of ELA, right? It wouldn´t replace the need to have a scope and sequence and it would leave it up to the school (or district) to decide what the essential understandings at each grade-level should be. In this case, a teacher has much more time and ability to really dig deeper at the big ideas as opposed to just rushing to ¨cover¨ everything.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

Teacherman, most schools in my area are like what I described. I have friends teaching in at least 20 districts. None are like what you describe.

I love that the standards are multiple grades. I know that the 9th grade teacher works on theme and I can expand on it. There are so many ways to approach these standards. They say kids will determine theme, but I get to pick how we do it and what books we use.

CC isn't the problem. Schools and companies who want to force one way to teach are the problems. Nowhere do the standards say I must use scripted lessons.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

It depends on teacher. The old standards offered specifics about what should be covered in a year which can be very helpful. The CCSS are all skill based, no content mentioned anywhere in the History standards. Personally, I prefer teaching content over skills but it is what it is.

I need my job so I'm hopping on the CC bandwagon - choo-choo!!!

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

In my school there are no history CC standards. There are literacy standards that all teachers must cover. Our history teachers use those literacy CC standards plus their Ohio academic content standards.

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

I don't have that option. Since the CC people have produced History standards and my state is using the CCSS, then I am supposed to use the CCSS for History. Only ELA teachers use the ELA standards. Everyone here is supposed to leave the old standards behind.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

Once again, I don't get all the fuss over the CC. Either you are going to get on board willingly or you are going to get on board begrudgingly. Either way, if you need that paycheck, you WILL get on board. Bottomline.

Like NCLB, no one seems to care what the little people (aka the teachers) think or want. So, it is what it is.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2014

You are understanding correctly. The ELA standards for content areas do not replace the specific content area standards.

23. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

I didn't find the blog post funny. He's just perpetuating the myth that CCSS=curriculum.

No one is telling me what or how to teach. In my district we have actually been given MORE freedom since adopting the CCSS.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

Interesting. There are no science CC standards either. ELA and math are the only two fully replaced by CC.
    ETA: just looked at the core website and didn't see any history standards there. Can you post a link? I'd like to share with our history department.

25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/

Look on the right side, underneath Grades 6-12.

I don't know how in the world a district would expect a HISTORY teacher to use those standards as the basis for their entire curriculum though. I could see using them as strategies toward the actual history curriculum.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

Okay yes our history teachers (and everyone else) do use those but they are in addition to our state standards for history (and other subjects). Only ELA and math are full CC. I'm surprised those are your only standards to work with!

27. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

I don't get how people keep saying there are no Science or History standards; maybe their districts/schools did read the CCSS all the way through, but they are there. As a History teacher, I've sat through countless PDs these past 2 years about incorporating the CC in the Science/History classroom using the Science/History standards.

http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

I've been explicitly told I am no longer to use the old standards, the VSCs. Apparently, they don't align with the PARCCs which are currently being field tested in my district.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

What I really meant was no content as in like 7th graders study life science and what it comprises. Next Gen is what science content will use according to that department at my school. We have had multiple all school PDs about CC. The presenters differentiated between content standards and literacy standards with those subjects. Both apply to them. It sounds like our districts are handing it very differently.

30. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

They don't align with the PARCC because the PARCC is a reading test and you're a history teacher.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2014

Great point! I think some of the confusion is that there seems to be the misconception that CCSS is curriculum. It is a continuum of learning objectives/goals and habits throughout the grades.

There is still the need to design how to reach these goals. Actually, I think that´s pretty great because I am such a proponent of the idea that we should be pulling from different resources to meet our learning goals and that the textbook is not what we teach, but it might be a resource we use to help meet the learning goal. I see this as something more easily accomplished with CCSS.

32. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2014

None of our old standards align with the PARCCs according to my district. Everyone is supposed to only be using the CCSS when designing lessons in order to prepare our kids for the PARCCs. Although, due to graduation requirements, the PARCCs will only count for stakes for MS next year and not HS. Basically, here in Baltimore City, they no longer want us using the VSCs.

And, I've been told that I am no longer a History teacher. I now teach Humanities aka Non-Fiction Literature. Whatever. :rolleyes:

33. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2014

I know this isn't your fault... but wow, I feel really bad for the students that will be graduating out of Baltimore City in the future years. Does that mean that your "Informational Text" science teachers aren't allowed to do labs, etc, any more too?