Where you live, do you have items that you can't get at the store?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, May 17, 2020.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 25, 2020

I don't wear gloves. They really don't protect anything if you don't have open cuts. Soap and water works. If you aren't in a place where you can wash sanitizer works.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 25, 2020

I have a few cracks in my hands due to overuse of sanitizer! I am going to be more careful. Yeah, if I go to town, I have to touch some things and don't have water there to wash afterwards. I am just staying home now...except until I get tested and results back for safety sake..

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 25, 2020

I only wear gloves to touch the ATM or the keypad to get into my storage unit. Gjose get touched all day, and I just can't deal.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 25, 2020

My partner is a RN and so is my brother, so I already know that gloves won’t protect me from anything. I use soap and water (or when that’s not available—hand sanitizer).

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 25, 2020

I am seriously asking, not arguing...lol How do you know? If they don't help, why do nurses use them? I kind of like the gloves especially because my hands have gotten kind of "nicked up" lately. When I used them though, I'd dump sanitizer on my hands afterwards just in case. :) I only used sanitizer and gloves in public. Then good old soap and water is working for me.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 25, 2020

For sure, I would not want to touch 1 of those or a gas pump either. I am very lucky now and have access to a private gas pump that is filled by the owner. It is out of the way, no1 else uses it except us, and I am not touching those buttons anymore...lol

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 25, 2020

Gloves are necessary for health care workers to protect from blood, bodily fluids, and other icky things that I’m sure you can imagine.

For people who are wearing gloves for shopping, while driving, to go to the ATM, etc: any germs that might be on your gloves can be transferred to all other surfaces and items we touch. This is why it’s counterproductive to wear gloves. You even contaminate your hands when you put on and take off gloves. You’ll noticed that nurses and doctors are constantly washing their hands before putting on new gloves. They wash their hands and change gloves countless times per shift.

Gloves are just as dirty—if not dirtier, than our bare hands. That is, unless you’re putting on new gloves all day long (which would be taking away gloves from our medical professionals).

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 25, 2020

OK..You made me feel better about myself and my recent OCD actions. :) and laugh. I don't wear gloves while driving. My hands are clean before I touch the steering wheel.
    I only used them in the store and dr's office. I know you have to take them off carefully and sanitize afterwards in case you didn't get them off exactly right. :)
    I wear the gloves in and probably contaminate what I buy, but I throw the gloves, sanitize right away, and leave almost all groceries in the car for a week at least.
    The temperatures have allowed for that where I am recently.
    I know people who are washing down everything w/ Clorox wipes and bringing them inside afterwards. I don't have the time or patience for that.
    I think the way I use them is OK. A few yrs ago, I got a staph infection after having a very small open wound on my hand at a hospital. I prefer to take my chances with my hands covered. Psychologically, it works for me. :)

a2z likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 27, 2020

On my latest grocery run, the only thing on my list that wasn't in stock was Canada Dry. Unless I wanted it with extra flavors, I was out of luck.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 27, 2020

If you have cracks or cuts on your hands then wearing gloves isn't a bad idea. Just make sure you take them off (and dispose of them properly) before you touch anything like your car, etc.). In the parking lot of some of our grocery stores they have big garbage bins so people can dispose of items properly. People are wearing gloves in the grocery stores and then driving home with them and wearing them when going into their houses and touching everything in sight. You just need common sense (which I haven't seen many people with lately)!

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 27, 2020

Oh, believe me, I would not touch my car with gloves on...lol I may be going a bit overboard w/ all of this, but I have kind of become a germaphobe. I never was before in my life. I can't believe people would be so thoughtless as to not take them off asap before touching anything personal. My 1st outing , I was faced with a dilemma of how to get my keys out of my purse. Now they stay in a pocket. I still think my purse and shoe bottoms are the dirtiest items I have. Fortunately, up here almost everyone is in the habit of shoes off in the arctic entrance. It has been months now since I 1st took a chance and contaminated my purse....lol
    Most people where I live do not take it seriously. The vast majority never wore a mask in the store. I saw a really good picture of that demonstrated how the masks work if everyone wears them, but they are ineffective for the wearer if the other person is not wearing 1. :(

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 27, 2020

You are very fortunate that is all you are missing! I have a friend who hires someone to shop for her. The lady goes from store to store to try to find the items on her list. I did a few pick ups at 1st and ventured in when I needed something. I am staying away from civilization for awhile now. :)

13. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jun 4, 2020

Soap and warm water (as hot as you can bear it) works best!
    I am missing clorox wipes and clorox / lysol cleaner. I can't find that anywhere. I ended up buying an orange spray cleaner from target but it doesn't clean as well as clorox or lysol.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 4, 2020

Seems like the staples are in stock everywhere now. They only limits are in meat. I don’t eat much meat anyway, but I buy in large quantities when I do so I can cook it all at once and freeze portions for recipes. Looks like my large-quantity cook days are over for now.

I haven’t been able to find some really random things like cream of coconut, rice noodles, and calamari.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 5, 2020

I bought that new Mr. Clean spray. It has a pink label I think. I think it's called Clean Freak. It works pretty well in a pinch.

Pisces likes this.
  16. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jun 5, 2020

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check it out.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 6, 2020

We butcher our own pork and beef, so I am good on meat. I haven’t had problems getting paper goods, either. But forget yeast! And certain deli meats are hard to get. I am cooking more and for the first time in a long time I am growing a garden. We are using wicking baskets to grow in. I got my first crop of carrots, tomatoes, and bell peppers this week.

18. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2020

I tried to google it first but didn't find a good explanation. What is a wicking basket?

bella84 likes this.
  19. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 6, 2020

Ugh! Yes, there are intermittent things I cannot get. Yesterday it was blue nitrile gloves and veterinary 20cc syringes - I use both for wound care from recent surgeries. As to food items, varies: flour, ramen noodles, canned pasta, etc.

20. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jun 6, 2020

This reminds me.. I make my own (raw) cat food but I have not been able to get or find any chicken liver, gizzards, or chicken hearts - the three main ingredients I use (in addition to chicken breast.) I still have taurine powder from a while ago but I also can't seem to find bone meal. My cats are making do with canned food and commercial raw (which is very expensive and my cats don't really like too much.)

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 6, 2020

I can't always find blue gloves, but I found some black ones. I only need gloves occasionally for medical stuff. I mostly use the to tie dye and to wear in the post office, so I'm not a spicy about what kind.

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2020

Is it just me, or is the Pepperidge Farm Oatmeal bread, NOT reduced calorie, totally off the market? We've eaten it for years, and, in its' place they now offer up Sweet Hawaiian bread, Hearty White, Butter bread, but it seems that the higher fiber breads can't be found. Arnold's Oat Nut bread is out there, but we have never been a fan. I am certain that it has something to do with the high fiber being diverted to make something else, but I don't know what. Wait, I take that back! Where there is less fresh meat, I am now seeing "plant based meat", an oxymoron if even I heard one. All meat is "plant based" if you assume that most meat producing animals are herbivores. The cow eats the grass that it turns into muscle, and so on. However, this "plant based meat" bypasses the cattle, chickens, etc. and just gets humans to accept the plant as "meat substitute." I guess that is where the oatmeal has gone that used to be in the bread - just a wild guess!

I wish I could get the frozen french fries - they are hit and miss. Glad that the produce department is looking healthy once more, but I am looking forward to getting the deli department functional once again. As a Coke drinker, I kind of keep an eye on that - one day it is well stocked, the next day a barren landscape, and I don't want any 2 liter bottles that go flat. Paper is back, Pepcid Complete is on the scarcer side. Of all things, the good pickled baby beets are trending towards stocked - thankfully - because the replacement brands were absolutely terrible and had to be thrown out. The really good baked beans are playing hide and seek, so if we see them, we pick up an extra can or two.

I feel guilty even mentioning some of these things, since it was pretty bad here for a while. Very grateful for the improvements in stock over all.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  23. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2020

I'm having trouble finding yeast and bread flour (the affordable brand).

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2020

OMG, where is the cornmeal?! Not the self-rising enriched stuff with enough folic acid to possibly do damage to me, but the real stuff.

At least I can finally find rice again.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 10, 2020

I found WHITE & BLACK thread today!

I made masks for myself, then for DH & my mom. Next thing you know I’m turning my fabric stash into masks for my BFF, a bunch of coworkers, and DSS & his partner. I had plenty of fabric, but I ran out of thread. Nobody sells it in town. Hobby Lobby was closed. Walmart was sold out.

Finally found both at Walmart today.

26. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 15, 2020

I am not sure about that, but I am wondering too why the meat is so different. I have not done a pick up for about 3 wks - 1 month. A group of us take turns to pu/ sometimes meat and produce now. All of us have pantries stocked w/ basics. We have no problem getting oatmeal or Dave's Killer bread now .
    However, hamburger here is very odd now. It is often a different color, texture, and although it doesn't say it, it has higher fat or water content too. I accidently plugged my drain because of it. It doesn't say plant based.
    I had planned really well until now. There is 1 thing driving me crazy. I never thought to buy vacuum bags. When I bought this vacuum cleaner ( maybe 2 yrs ago), I bought a huge stash of bags b/c you have to go a long ways to get them. You can't order them from the stores here b/c they don't have them. Being home more, I vacuum more.
    I realized a few days ago that I am on my last bag. If I had multicolored carpet like I told the builder, it would not be a problem.
    I may have to just deal with it. It is not like I have a ton of company now anyways.....lol I just don't like the look of the carpet if specks get on it b/c it shows everything. There is a lady here who will shop anywhere for you for a price. A friend of mine pays her. I don't want to pay 200 bucks for vacuum bags though! :)

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2020

I know that our stores are promoting and selling Nature's Reserve beef, not grain fed, strictly grazing, and it taste different, can be tougher, IMHO, and I really don't like it. It is cheaper than other beef, and has been like a "filler" for the beef section while the meat processing plants were shut down. That said, it was a result of the problems with the meat processing plants and the COVID outbreaks among the cutters. I think the NR beef may come from Australia. I have a strong preference for Angus beef, since it is well marbled and more tender. I also just think it tastes better. This week is the first time that there has been a special in the Angus beef at my local supermarket since the pandemic began. I could really enjoy a steak about now.

28. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 15, 2020

That may be it b/c it is tougher and doesn't crumble as easily as regular hamburger. Also, I am not picking out the meat by sight, but online. I just use it in recipes for things like spaghetti, so I have not noticed a huge taste difference. I was able to buy roast and London Broils at 1x early on , w/out a problem, but have not tried in a long time after they ran out. I froze them for the carnivore in me.....:)
    I'd love a good steak about now too. We had a special get together w/ "a bubble of paranoids" and had AK King Crab for dinner 1 night. OMGoodness! It was soooooo good!

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2020

I could appreciate that meal, too!

30. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 15, 2020

If you like seafood that comes from AK, the time to get it is before the prices get worse. The season is starting this month. Cannery workers have been put into 14 day quarantine when they came here, but tourists have not. I am not sure if it is true, but they say prices are going to skyrocket on seafood this year. The next month might be a smart time to buy and freeze.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2020

Do you know if King Salmon comes mostly from Alaska? We JUST starting getting it and it's $35/lb. It's the only one my husband will eat and it's usually only available for a few months. That was the most expensive I've ever seen it.

32. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 16, 2020

I know a lot of King Salmon comes from here. It is expensive in stores, I know. I live in a place where it is free though and easy to get. I am a girlie girl in a wild west world in some ways, but I caught my own salmon w/ dipnets for years...lol ( But, I had someone who'd clean them all for me.. )
    Yes, the prices are going up even worse. They say the number of kings coming through this year are lower than usual. I'd buy them within a month or 2. I'd freeze them too b/c they'll be way more expensive later from what I've heard.
    With the price and scarcity of red meat here, I think we'll be eating a lot of salmon next winter. Kings are the best, but silvers are really good too if you do not overcook them.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 17, 2020

Yeah, we were going to borrow my mother in law's food saver machine so we could freeze the salmon but at those prices I'm not sure I want to buy them. Maybe next year. I don't eat any seafood so I really don't care to spend that much $$ on one meal and I end up having to eat a bag of $1.99 salad since I spent so much on his meal LOLOL

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2020

Imagine my surprise today to find the Oatmeal bread back in stock! Hubby eats a lot of sandwiches, and I was tired of hearing how the "other bread" was inferior to the oatmeal bread. I bought three loaves, freezing a spare, just in case it doesn't stay on the shelf. I still can't find JennyO turkey Italian Sausage Links, but some of the poultry stuff seems to be slow returning to the cases. Who knew I could get giddy over bread?

35. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 17, 2020

Yay!!!! I knew oatmeal was still out there. It is smart to throw a loaf in the freezer too, so you don't have to hear the complaints about inferior bread for a while! ;) I like Dave's Killer Bread. The 1st x I shopped and found no bread or yeast even, I'd have been happy w/ white Wonder bread. :) When I found my bread again, I did the same thing!

vickilyn likes this.
  36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 18, 2020

I finally got my shipment of Bath and Body Works hand sanitizers! They were out of stock since people started hoarding them.

37. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 18, 2020

Yay!! Sanitizers have made their way back here too. However, they are very expensive. I realized the other day, I had been a dumb butt buying the 2 gallons when I thought I'd scored big time. I don't go anywhere now that I can't use soap and water.
    The same w/ the people I gave it to! It is hard to imagine, but I have only been to 3 other homes in the last 3 months. I have gone to the beach and park, but both places allow a ton of distance. It is still cold here at the beach. I haven't been inside a store in ages.

38. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 18, 2020

I gave up on them. I found an amazing local business that makes hand sanitizer with essential oils in it so it doesn't dry out your hands as much. It also smells super fresh! I'm obsessed with it now, and I get to support a local business!

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 19, 2020

I haven't seen anything like that around here but I would try them out if i did.

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 19, 2020

You can borrow our local place! He ships!

https://bensbodybasics.com/

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.