Where you live, do you have items that you can't get at the store?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, May 17, 2020.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 17, 2020

Before school ended abruptly, or I'd heard much about the virus, I was stunned when I went on a wkend shopping trip. The stores were out of bread and yeast, so you couldn't even make your own bread. The TP and PT aisle, of course, was bare. It was like someone had ransacked the stores. Canned goods were gone along with hand sanitizer and soap. The alcohol was gone too. ( So you couldn't make your own sanitizer.)
    Those were JUST the things I noticed were gone at first and for a good while. Now other items are and have been missing from the shelves. ( Clorox wipes, spray cleaners, meats, peroxide, soaps, and other things I look for once in a blue moon..like brownie mix. Still there is no yeast, powdered milk, or brownies which is OK. I have gained some weight during this time because I have more time to cook and eat. I actually have the ingredients to make brownies if I want them bad enough. :)

Eventually, bread returned. Maybe 4 weeks later TP started popping up places IF you got there at the right time. Still no sanitizer. Yesterday, I hit the motherload! A friend called me while I was in town and told me to get over to a shop where they sold me 2 gallons of hand sanitizer.
    There were only 3 left when I got there. They cost almost 100 bucks, but it is totally worth it because my bf friend is a germaphobe, I have become a bit of one, and I have older family members who had small stashes, but were almost out. They are thrilled! I am not sure how they did it, but a distillery in a city a ways away stopped making beer and used their equipment to make sanitizer instead. Some finally made its way here.

As I was leaving, a checker I have known for years and like a lot told me to buy meat from every store in a radius of 60 miles from here. ( They limit you to 1-2 meats per shopper now.) Also, the meat is not the quality or price it used to be.
    I had read about possible meat shortages due to processing plants closing, but the way she made it sound, they'd be losing their supply tomorrow. I believe her, but did not have time. Plus, between family, we are good for salmon as protein even if it does get old. Plus, my bf moose hunts during season.
    I guess time will tell if meat has totally disappeared from here. I am guessing it is different in the lower 48. If you live closer to farms or cities more things may be available. IDK...Is anyone able to buy yeast for bread there? Have you been warned of meat shortages by people who work in stores? Are there different things you can't get?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

May 17, 2020

I noticed some shortages early on, but I think some of that was because of time of day. Trying to get to the store before the crowd might have gotten me there before the stockers as well. But there were some persistent shortages, like TP, sanitizer and baking goods. I think the shortages I've seen have eased up. Looks like people are hoarding a bit less.

This last week I saw hand sanitizer on the shelf two days in a row! I bought a quart.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 17, 2020

Everything leveled out here within a month. I still haven't been able to get rubbing alcohol or cleaning wipes. We still had some at home, and I brought home what I had at work.

Now meat is starting to disappear. I wasn't able to get any meat at Kroger yesterday. I'd heard several people say the same thing. There hasn't been any issue getting meat here at our local store. There are only two people in our family, and I don't really like meat anyway. I'm fine without it.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 17, 2020

We are still short of baking supplies, milk, eggs, meat, packaged meals, some canned food. We have always been out of (and have never received supplies) any kind of disinfectant or sanitizer, tp, paper towels.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 17, 2020

We've been out of random things, like Ramen noodles, and pickles.

I've been looking for Clorox wipes or Lysol spray. Hope to find some soon.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 17, 2020

There is a Kroger (affiliate) w/in the 60 miles, but I drove there and only got 1 pound of hamburger after ordering 2 pounds and a London Broil for pick up. No London Broil is to be found.
    That is why I went to the other store that allowed me to buy 2 meats. That is where the lady warned me that they were losing their supply today. It's good you don't like meat. I have become a carnivore the last few months.
    I had been craving salads, but was worried about fresh produce that hadn't been cooked. Before my mom died, the drs told us to be careful not to give her fresh veggies and fruits because there was too much of a chance of infection ( like E-Coli, I think.)
    So I was paranoid about not cooking veggies. I caved this week. I bought everything for a big fresh salad, set it in the sink to rinse and soak, and am going to fix it tonight. Hopefully, I am just being paranoid. My sister lives on fresh veggies and fruits. She hasn't gotten sick.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 17, 2020

Swan, Do you live in a remote place? I am so thankful we have eggs. Our grocery stores do not have and never have gotten disinfectants or sanitizer yet either. It was a builder contracting spot that had it yesterday.
    I haven't pd attention to TP because I made a really funny joke about it 1 day early on, and was astonished and appreciative of the totally unexpected response I got.
    1 part of my home is always unlocked and I'd come home to 12 packs of TP in there at different times. No 1 admits to having left it. I have enough TP for a yr now, so I haven't tried to get it. If they have it, you can't order it for pick up here.

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 17, 2020

We don't have Clorox wipes either, but fortunately, I had a small stash and a friend found them in a big city and brought me some. I never thought of Ramen noodles. I ate them when I was poor, but I'd guess there are none left here either.
    I don't know why, but I was craving pickles and maybe feeling a bit out of control when there wasn't any bread. I decided to buy sweet and dill pickles along with black olives when they were still on the shelves. I have enough of those to last a while. :) I wish I could mail you some, but they are in glass bottles.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 17, 2020

It very likely could be the times I have available to go to the store impact certain items. Others have never been replenished. You'd think they could speed up production on somethings, but maybe the hospitals and military are getting 1st pick on cleaning supplies and basics. IDK....

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 17, 2020

We may venture to Costco in a couple of weeks. It’s 50 miles from us, so we don’t go often. We order sometimes, but we go when we need fresh food since we can’t order that.

12. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 18, 2020

Just think when schools eventually open back up........

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 18, 2020

We do not live in a remote location. It is a small city about one hour from Disney World. Can't figure out why things are in such short supply. I think people here just like to hoard and they grab everything as soon as it hits the shelves. At this point, I am tempted to drive the hour to Orlando and see what they have.

14. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 18, 2020

I’m in Australia and where I live I only went through one week of completely bare shelves. After that shelves were not bare but certain things like flour, pasta, baked beans and shelf stable things were in short supply. TP and PT and any paper products were out for weeks. Anything that kills germs were out of stock. One thing that I thought was genius was during the height of the hoarding madness, a local mum and pop supermarket sold toilet rolls individually on purpose. $3.50 for 1 roll, $99 for 2 rolls. To stop the hoarders.

Funny though, tinned fish were never in short supply. I would have thought it be one of the things that would be in demand considering it’s a shelf stable protein. Our supply of everything is back to normal now. Except rice. I think our rice supply nationwide is low because the farmers are having trouble maintaining crops.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 18, 2020

Ugh. My husband loves canned sardines and has gone through a ton since this started. (He's now obsessed with different ways to make ramen noodles, so adding different ingredients to make it taste more like "real" ramen. I make him through the cans away outside because I hate the smell of canned fish. I'm sure the neighborhood cats love it, though!

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 18, 2020

I worry about this, too. I've only been able to find hand sanitizer at a small grocery where it's in small packages (and has these wonderful scents...) but is really expensive. Like, I'd probably go through $15 worth a day.

I'm fine on hand soap, though the week before we got out I used 1.5 bottles in my classroom, and put 1 in each of the faculty restrooms on my floor: 1 got stolen, and the other two were almost empty by the Friday we got sent home.

I'm down to my last canister of disinfecting wipes. I've been using them more conservatively. (I used two whole canisters the last week we were at school.) I am running very low on alcohol prep pads, which I haven't been able to buy, but I use one or two each day to disinfect my glasses, watch, phone, earbuds, etc. after my walk or if it's an errands day. (I only used these as needed to manage my diabetes, and still need them for that purpose, as well.) I have two partial bottles of Lysol spray, which I only have because a friend who owns a cleaning supply company was able to sell them to me and ship them. I have found none locally yet. (I used almost two cans in the week before we got out.) That's also the only reason I have any nitrile gloves, which I use for touching ATMS or pin pads at my storage unit, and also use for my small tie-dye business, currently selling masks. (I need nitrile gloves at work because I am allergic to latex and some of the equipment we use in my class has trace amounts of latex in it so I need to wear gloves just in case when I do demonstrations.)

I don't know how I will ever be able to find enough of these products to be able to keep my classroom sanitized!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 18, 2020

Selling toilet paper for that much here would get the business fined for price gouging. A better solution around here is to just limit the number of items that can be purchased. We have signs that say you can only buy a certain number of items like 2 rolls of paper towel or 1 bottle of soap, etc.

The only thing I can't find is rubbing alcohol which my husband uses sometimes but everything else is usually pretty well stocked or I can get 1 here and there before I completely run out.

18. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 18, 2020

We have an odd situation here. Certain stores will be bare of one item and a store not far away will have a somewhat good supply on their shelves. Then the items that are bare in the second store has plenty in the first (confirmed via friends who shopped the second store while I shopped the first). My friends and I have had the "who has what" conversations going on trying to find certain staple items.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 18, 2020

I don't see any shortage where I live. I live in a city of 68K 20 minutes from a city of 500 K.
    When this whole thing started I had 5 rolls of toilet paper nd I knew it would last (I lived alone). I didn't even go to the grocery store for 2 weeks, then started going a couple of times a week to buy just the few things I need. My pantry and freezers were full.
    When I went to the store of course I saw empty shells of toilet paper, paper towels and hand sanitizers, and some select items were gone.
    2 weeks later my daughter came home, and our toilet paper actually lasted about 6 weeks. Then it was time for me to finally buy some, after all the people hoarded them in this time (and were selling them on Facebook for a couple of dollars of profit) Couldn't find any. Finally went to Costco, bought the big case that I always do and that will last for 6 months most likely.

Right now I don't see any shortage in anything. Not really looking for TP so I'm not sure if all stores restocked them, but most did with certain limits to buy. But we never had problem with buying any food, including eggs, etc.

20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 18, 2020

OMGoodness! I have thought about it! Before school was let out, I thought about, but did not do: Leaving 50 bucks in the janitor's closet w/ a note saying I needed a couple of items. I wasn't going to sign it. Then I thought: No, not cool!
    They had Clorox Wipes and all kinds of disinfectant. We have cameras everywhere, so if they wanted to know who did it, they'd have seen. I ended up asking 1 of the custodians for something and he had a personal stash of somethings he shared. Cool guy! Most people up here do share in times like these. Like when I found the gallon jugs of sanitizer, I was more thrilled about how many people's day I was going to make than anything.

21. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 18, 2020

Wow! I'd think Florida would be in decent shape w/ supplies if you weren't rural. That is a bummer. People are just buying stuff up quickly I guess.

22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 18, 2020

AWWW! That is too funny! Good for them!

23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 18, 2020

I do not think teachers should have to buy these things. It is an absolute shame that you had to use your personal stuff for the school. I am not saying I have not spent a ton on school stuff over the yrs. But, when I did it was for fun activities I wanted to do. Those are custodial supplies that should be provided by the school.
    If they are not, I'd get a group together to heap coals of shame on the district for not taking their responsibility seriously. When I left our school, they had tons of cleaning supplies in closets and their rooms. It would not have been enough though to last for this year. So they need suppliers before reopening schools here.

24. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 18, 2020

Price Gouging- It is massively going on where I live. There are not many options of where to shop. Prices have skyrocketed here.

25. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 18, 2020

Yep! We have family and friends on the look out for certain items. We take turns putting in n orders for pick up at different places once a week. I had to go inside a small shop to get the 2 gallons of hand sanitizer, but figured it was worth it because I knew it'd be gone as soon as word got out.
    It may have looked like I was hoarding it, but a lot of people will benefit from it because they don't sell it in the stores and we will pour it into different containers this week, so that everyone who had been in the look out group will benefit.( about 7 of us...and their family members)
    People have found yeast for bread 2x in small packets at a store I do not go. The main store I pick up from hasn't had it in 3 months. I have 1 person I trade stuff with and another 2 that we just get stuff if we find it for the other. The rest we pay back.
    Oh, yeah..and the store that has flour at times is the 1 that has not had yeast. The 1 w/ yeast, does not have flour. They still do not have bottles of it. Only small packets once in a blue moon.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 18, 2020

I went to the grocery store the other day and could not find spaghetti: NONE! I looked for any type of pasta and the entire aisle was empty.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 18, 2020

There was a few weeks where chicken was hard to find. Now, some stores have a sign that limits people to only 2 packages of ANY kind of meat. Same with eggs. Someone really should have thought ahead and started limiting people a long time ago. I knew this was going to happen. Once they saw a few people buying 99 cases of toilet paper it should have dawned on them that this could be a problem!!

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 18, 2020

I don't buy pasta or rice or anything like that so when I went down that aisle one time I was shocked that the shelves were so empty. The funny thing people aren't going to want to end up with 100 boxes of something and when they try to return them they will get denied because NO stores are accepting returns!!

29. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 18, 2020

I haven't been shopping at all in a couple of months. We do all of our shopping online, using the standard online ordering or InstaCart. Most items we have wanted were available, but you cannot get toilet paper or paper towels delivered right now. I took a few roles of paper towels from my classroom when I was there, but we'll have to figure out something else when we run out.

30. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 18, 2020

We still don't have any Clorox wipes or cleaner but most food items seem to be available now. There are limits on meat, toilet paper and cleaning products though. They have been limited different things since the beginning of March.

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 18, 2020

Much to my horror, the store was COMPLETELY out of sweet vermouth. On Manhattan Monday!

MrsC, a2z and bella84 like this.
  32. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 19, 2020

I really think that depends. If you eat pasta 2 times a week, 100 boxes is just a year's supply. It is just one less thing that you need to buy for the next year and a pain to store.

Now, if it was a lifetime supply of the item, that could pose a problem.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 19, 2020

Do you have an Aldi store? Go when they first open in the morning and 95% of the time they have toilet paper and paper towel stocked.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 19, 2020

For quite some time, all paper products were unavailable; now, most stores are stocked, but there are no sales. It is almost impossible to find disinfectant wipes unless you are in the right place at the right time (which I was last week when I got the last container on the shelf!). Flour, sugar and yeast are very hard to find in grocery stores, although several local restaurants and catering services are selling it. Pasta and canned soup are often have limited availability.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 19, 2020

I got a container of Lysol wipes that were hidden on a small shelf of "household items" at my local gourmet store. I never thought to look there for that kind of stuff but I grabbed it as soon as I saw it!

36. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 19, 2020

For some reason, we have spaghetti here. I think most old timers have big pantries.
    That would be something most people already had on their own shelves in mass. About 30-40 yrs ago, people shopped 1x a year through a catalog. Food was barged in/ Then they caught fish, ate moose, berries, and whatever they grew in the summer. There are still a lot of people whose basic food supplies are fish and moose.

37. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 19, 2020

It is like that here with 1-2 packages of meat depending on the store. When this 1st started, 1 store had ads saying, " Buy 5 and get 1 free." Of course the price of 5 were all jacked up, but it encouraged people to do that too.

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 19, 2020

I had stopped looking for them because it was futile. I do have a few bottles of spray disinfectant cleaners that I'm using, so I was never worried about not being able to find the wipes. When I saw them though, you'd better believe I grabbed them!

39. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 19, 2020

Bella, We do PU too, but there are a lot of things you have to venture inside to find. They do not let you buy certain basic stuff online. I think it is because they never know if they'll even have it.

40. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 19, 2020

The same is true here. Fortunately, we haven't been in need of that stuff yet. There have been things that we wanted that you had to go inside to find but nothing that we needed.

41. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 19, 2020

So sorry! Out of your favorite beverage. ;)