Where would you like to move?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by glen, Jan 25, 2009.

1. glen

glen Companion

Jan 25, 2009

My husband and I are always thinking about the next phase of our lives. Our sons will be out of high school and in college in the next 4 1/2 years. Our plan has been to stay where we are until then, then to simplify our lives. The goal is to 'cash in'- trade in our expensive New England lives and move some where warmer and less expensive. Ulitmately, we would hope to buy our next house out right in an area where we could see ourselves growing old. Since we would both still be in our forties, we would plan on continuing to work, just in a less stressful environment for my husband. We haven't decided where we'd like to go yet. All we have decided is it has to be somewhere warmer than here (but not too hot...). So, where would you go???

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 25, 2009

Realistically, I'd like to move to Raleigh in the next 2 years or so (which is not far from where I am now.) If I wanted to move even further I might consider Portland. In my dreams, I'd move to Rome. Sigh.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2009

Seattle, but it will never happen!

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

May I suggest Arizona.
    Teachers are always in need here, we are warm (hot in the summer) In my part of the state it hasn't snowed since 1930.
    We have woodlands, alpine (snow), desert, chaparral and river climes. Az only lacks "Ocean front property" but if the big one hits California we will (until then it is a 180 mile drive). From Yuma (54 ft) to Flagstaff (7000+ ft) we have a lot.
    Phoenix, Ariz. is the 5th largest city in the US. Tucson, Ariz. is the 32nd

myself I am looking to "RV around"

6. glen

glen Companion

Jan 25, 2009

RVing is always something I wanted to do, but only as an extended vacation. It would be a great way to see the country!

Arizona may be too hot, but something to consider. Even in New England, my husband needs his central air!

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

The state joke is "it's a dry heat"

but true 110° @ 10% humidity feels a lot better than 95° @ 90% humidity

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 25, 2009

Even with how awful as this winter has been so far and how expensive the cost of living is here, I could never leave New England. :love:

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 25, 2009

I love where I live. It's in the mountains and out of the bustle of big town. But I would move if I could live on the coast of Oregon. It is so gorgeous there. Great climate!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 25, 2009

My husband may be applying for a job in Hawaii. I'm worried that it may be too expensive there.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 25, 2009

Believe it or not, I could picture myself living in the city I'm in for the rest of my life (& I'm still pretty young). Now, if I won the lottery, I'd like to own a home in a couple of places, including staying where I am now.

Maybe living by the ocean for one of my residences.

Anyone who's interested in knowing how a certain location/state is, you should look through this great discussion board below. You can ask questions to those who already live there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

Another good site is:
    http://www.bestplaces.net/

13. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 25, 2009

My dream is to live in Key West at least part of the year when I retire. I suppose I should start buying some lottery tickets if I want to make that happen! :lol:

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

Can't imagine leaving where I am right now, although either coast of Canada could lure me.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 25, 2009

I would live to live on the Oregon coast or near Portland. I love Seattle, but not sure if I can see myself living there. San Diego would be amazing, but too expensive!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 25, 2009

I think I'd like to live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is soooo beautiful there.

17. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jan 25, 2009

My DH and I plan on moving to Portland in a few years.

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 25, 2009

Key West for the winter. I hate the winters here

19. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

I love where I am in CA, but if my only daughter gets married and has kids, then that's where I will want to be! :D Odds are that will still be in state, since she's a real California girl. Sometimes, though, I do think about what it would be like to live somewhere cheaper...

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

Until I fell and became disabled I was looking into the Portland, Oregon area or Washington state but I now need a "none to light" snow area.
    Since I may be moving in with my son, that is the biggest factor, He is in North Carolina now.

21. glen

glen Companion

Jan 25, 2009

We've thought about the Carolinas, but it may be too hot and too far. I've been thinking that there may be an area of Maryland or Delaware that would suit us. I'll have to look into it. I love the DC area, especially all the history there, but it's too expensive for what we would like to do.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 25, 2009

Right now, anywhere warm sounds good. I don't mind winter, but the temps and winds can be so bitterly cold here! I absolutely hate summer heat and humidity of August and September when I feel like I'm living in a boiling cauldron. If I could move anywhere, I think I'd like someplace with a milder climate that still has all the seasons.

That said, the community in which I live is amazing. We have a world class zoo, rich arts community (theater, symphony, museums, art studios, live bands, you name it), and are like a huge family. If there is ever a crises the whole city just pulls together like you wouldn't believe. Even though we have a good sized population, everyone is just a few degrees away from everyone else. When we had the mall shooting a little over a year ago, everyone not directly involved either knew someone who was or someone who knew someone there. When the broom man died last spring (little blind man who walked the streets selling brooms), his funeral was one of the largest attended in a long time. Living here is like getting hugged every day.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

I really can't see living anywhere else because I love where we live right now. But if I could move it would be NC or Maryland. In my dreams, it would be to Rome or Ireland/Scotland.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

I love Long Island. I love the fact that it's home. I LOVE the beaches, never more than 20 minutes away. I love the proximity to NYC. I love all the choices. I love the changes in seasons. I love so much about it.

But right now I'm wearing a sweater AND a sweatshirt... I think it's me, not the house.

So someplace tropical is looking pretty good at the moment. Throw in a fruity drink with an umbrella in it, and I'm outta here!

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 25, 2009

As a family living with a military lifestyle I am going to run with run w/scissor's theme. Basically home is where the heart is. The place isn't as important as the sense of community. Yet that is less predicable and definitely nearly impossible to pre-plan.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 25, 2009

My husband and I were just talking about this (as raised the thermostat again). He wouldn't mind moving somewhere warmer but not TOO hot and not TOO cold. I have no idea where that would be because I've only lived in NY.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

My entire family is within a 45 minute drive. I'm not going anywhere.

When Pete's dad died in September, we were the only family around; his sister is in LA and his brother is a 4 hour drive away. (and went to Vegas on vacation, but that's a different rant.) Everything fell on Peter. (I wasn't any help; my mastectomy was 8 days before dad died.)

It was totally different from when my dad died and all 5 of us took turns helping out. No one got overwhelmed because there was always someone else around.

I will never move away from family. I realize that not everyone has the choice, but we're fortunate enough to be able to stay local.

But if a CLEAN house opened up somewhere nearby, I would be all over it!

28. melnm

melnm Companion

Jan 25, 2009

I would move back to northern NM. I miss the mountains and change of seasons. My husband just got a new job working for the state though, so we will be in TX at least the next 20 years. I told him that since that is the case, we have to retire in NM. :)

29. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 25, 2009

I would love to live in San Diego. It is the perfect weather for me and I really like it there when I went. Too expensive though, I think:(

30. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

mel-I love living in TX!

31. glen

glen Companion

Jan 25, 2009

Sometimes, we think we'd wait to relocate until after the boys finish college. They love it here and feel really connected. I'm what my husband calls a transplant. I lived in Jersey most of my life, but also in NY, FL, and SC as a child. He's from Cape Cod. Our nearest family is 2 hours away. Sometimes, we miss being closer to family, other times we're happy there's some distance. Being too far is a concern, though- another reason we would probably stay on the northern part of the east coast. A car ride from family isn't bad, but having to rely on planes in an emergency would be too difficult.

32. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 25, 2009

I love it here in Ky and would love to live on a horse farm. They are beautiful! My boyfriend wants to move to Lakeland, Florida, but I would miss the change in seasons.

33. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 25, 2009

I want to visit North Carolina one day because that's where all the Nicholas Sparks books take place. :)

34. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 25, 2009

ALong with a house in Key West I would love a house in Bermuda but it is so hard to buy there and so expensive.
    I better start saving

35. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

There are some beautiful horse farms in KY!!

36. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 25, 2009

We LOVE living in Oregon - it's beautiful here - and we're just an hour from the coast OR an hour from the mountains where we live. So, we'll probably stay here - but if we're talking about DREAMS....

We'd move to New Zealand! :)

37. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 25, 2009

I went to college in KY, and I agree.....there are some beautiful horse farms in Kentucky!

If I could live anywhere, it would be in a large city in a fabulous apartment. ;) Of course, the only way that would happen on a teacher's salary would be on a TV show. I like where I live but would like to live a little closer to the city nearby, where it's a bit more hip/modern. I currently live in the burbs and am only 1 mile away from work. So yeah...I'm stuck. But I'd love to just be able to walk down the street and go to a coffee shop, resturant, etc. :)

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009

I am a Delaware girl through and through, so I would move to a DE beach. haha. But of course that is only warm in the summer. And unlike Arizona, it is HUMID.

I actually think where I live right now is pretty much perfect. A small-ish college town with lots of great restaurants and some things to do, but also 20 minutes from Philly, 45 minutes from Baltimore, 2 hours to DC, 3 hours to NYC, not to mention places like Lancaster and DE and Jersey beaches within an hour or so drive. Not warm all year, but definitely easy to find practically anything.

For this stage of my life though, I am moving to Lancaster area, PA this summer.

39. melnm

melnm Companion

Jan 25, 2009

I'm getting used to it. We've been here 3.5 years now. We're in the SA area, but we'll probably be moving somewhere else in the state once hubby is finished training for his new job.

40. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

I'm near the DFW area and LOVE the area.

41. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 25, 2009

I want to mooooove. :(