Where were you in your life when you decided to become a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Sep 8, 2012

I decided in 4th grade I wanted to be a teacher. However, I had no idea what I wanted to teach being that I never knew how Middle or High School worked. I know I did not want to teach all subjects though. Once taking Pre-Algebra in 8th grade I wanted to be a Math teacher! :D

2. Math

Math Cohort

Sep 8, 2012

So your History teacher directed you toward Social Studies Education right? Then, you got into Vocal Music Ed programs? So, how come you teach Math why not History? Just wondering :D

3. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Sep 8, 2012

I also think I'd like working in study abroad programs or international student services. I even did an informational interview with the director of international student services at my university, and she had a masters in the same thing I'm in school for, Secondary Ed!

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 8, 2012

It never even occurred to me until after undergrad. :lol: I did about 45,000 jobs in high school and college, the highlights being:

1. Chuck E. Cheese's Birthday Hostess
    2. Denny's Waitress
    3. Market Researcher
    4. Dog Walker
    5. Animal Shelter Adoption Counselor
    6. Music Venue Box Office Worker

My bachelor's was in Arts Management because I wanted to work with creative people. Unfortunately, I hated desk work and paper pushing. I (like a previous poster) did a program through AmeriCorps where I got to tutor and mentor in a 3rd grade classroom. :wub: A room is no more creative than when it is full of 25 eight year olds. When the program ended I went back to grad school and got certified for El. Ed. and Special Ed. This is by far my favorite job!

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 9, 2012

I got this a lot too. My parents, family, friends, and everyone I knew would tell me they could only really see me being a teacher.

I guess I did love to tutor my classmates from a young age all the way up to college. (I used to help the other kids read in elementary, and then was teaching my friends calculus in High School and College. -- Regardless of the fact that everyone would come to me when they needed help with tough subjects, they always got better grades than me. -___-; )

6. Math

Math Cohort

Sep 9, 2012

I met someone that would help me in Geometry and I would always do better then her.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 13, 2012

I think in my case is that I would never do work or study. I helped other students because I felt it was exciting to solve a problem and teach it to someone else, but when it came to the discipline of sitting down and chugging through a set of work problems most of which were repetitive, or required a lot of writing, I decided my time would be much better spent playing video games. >_>

8. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Sep 13, 2012

I said I was going to become a teacher in 2nd grade, mainly due to the influence my 2nd grade teacher had on me. I LOVED her and wanted to be like her when I grew up. Thirteen years later, I'm working toward my degree and still just as excited to teach. I can only hope to influence my future students as my 2nd grade teacher influenced me! :)

9. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Sep 13, 2012

I thought about it for years, but didn't really commit until 2009. That's the year my mom died in January, I turned 50 in August and was notified I was being laid off in December. Started my credential program in March 2010, credential issued one year later. Luckily I have a strong STEM background, and have been able to find full-time employment since.

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 13, 2012

I'm good at it, and it has better job prospects than social studies or music.