Where were you 25 years ago when Challenger blew up?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by penguinpc, Jan 28, 2011.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jan 28, 2011

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2011

Elementary school. Had a sub. They announced over the PA. Our sub's daughter worked for NASA... I remember her (the teacher) being really upset as well!!! Didn't really see it until we got home from school.

4. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 28, 2011

I was a student at the school where I am now teaching. We were in the gym setting up for the science fair. I still remember just where I was standing when the principal came into the gym and announced to all of us what had happened. Sad day in our nation.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 28, 2011

I was a newlywed washing the dishes at the sink of our first apartment in Chicago. I didn't go to my college classes that afternoon but sat in front of the tv all afternoon.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 28, 2011

I was in 6th grade. I am from the community where the shuttle pilot, Mike Smith was from. He was actually married to my dad's cousin. We were all watching the launch because he was a hometown hero. It was rough.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

I was 4 and in daycare so I don't remember much. Watching video of it though still makes me tear up.

midwest~how sad for the whole community.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 28, 2011

I was in junior high and we watched it. I was in complete shock because I had seen Challenger on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral when I toured it two years before. My parents were absolutely devastated because they were so excited for McAuliffe. One of their colleagues was a finalist for being the teacher on the flight (he was the top pick for PA).

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2011

I am pretty sure I was in school - kindergarten I guess. I don't remember it very clearly, but I do remember it.

A scholarship in Christa McAuliffe's honor put me through college to become a teacher.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 28, 2011

I was in the 4th grade, standing in line at the water fountain after PE when a teacher ran out of a classroom to tell our PE teacher what happened (her class had been watching).

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

I was a senior in high school. I just happen to be home that day sick from school. watched the whole thing on TV.

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 28, 2011

As an "oldie", I was teaching in the same classroom I am in now. We have always gone outside to see the launch-even though we are on the other coast, you could see the flames and con-trail, once it got high enough. That day, we didn't see it and figured we just missed it. A few minutes later, another teacher came in and told me what happened. I was stunned, but the day just went on as usual.

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 28, 2011

I was only 2 so I don't remember, but it still makes me sad to think about it.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 28, 2011

I was in first grade, but we all had gathered in the third grade room to watch it on TV. I don't really remember understanding what was going on, but I do remember our teachers quickly turning off the TV and shuffling us back to our room.

15. KDS

KDS Companion

Jan 28, 2011

i was a junior in HS. happened to be in the library where they were showing it. I had just turned to walk down some stairs and heard the noise and turned around.
    I have been back to my HS about a billion times. EVERY time i am in the library at that step down area, i think of the explosion.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

I was in kindergarten. I remember seeing pictures of it on the news.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2011

I was a young adult who'd grown up with the space race, and I was living in England. From across our sitting room I saw on the BBC the now-familiar image of brilliant blue sky and exotically convoluted cloud that could have been beautiful had its cause been less dreadful. It took some time to grasp what had happened.

That was the week that the gas company was doing work in our neighborhood, checking pipes and replacing gas meters. In the mornings, two cheerful men in the customary blue coveralls would go from house to house to inform anyone who was at home that the gas was about to be shut off; in the evenings they would come around again with word that the gas was being turned back on. They'd fielded my questions, and I'd thanked them.

The day after Challenger blew up, the workmen came around to announce that the work was done and the gas was back on for good. One of the pair - it hadn't been hard for them to figure out that I was a Yank - surprised and touched me by offering his sympathies on America's loss. He then added, "I've always rather thought of the space program as being not just America's but the world's."

I don't know how anyone else feels, but that has always been how I hoped the world saw it.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

I am one of the "old" ones. I was actually getting fitted for my bridal gown when I heard about it.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2011

I was in 4th grade and my teacher got a tv into the room to let us watch the launch during Science class. We saw it blow up and we had no idea what happened. I think the teacher started crying.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 28, 2011

I was a 3-year-old!

21. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jan 28, 2011

I would have been 1...don't remember it.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 28, 2011

I was in the 5th grade. They had brought all the 4th and 5th graders to the auditorium to watch the launch. I remember being very confused, and not fully understanding what was happening. They shut the tv off rather quickly, but kept us there for a little while before sending us back to the classrooms.

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2011

I was there watching it holding my 14 month old daughter in my arms. I have never been able to go see a live launch after that.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

I was teaching math, though at a different school.

25. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 28, 2011

I was home with my DD who was 10 months old. I couldn't believe it. I just sat and watched all day.

26. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 28, 2011

I wasn't born yet [I was born May 1986]. A few articles were published in the local paper yesterday. One of them, which had stories submitted by people who live in or around the area(I live in Daytona Beach), made me cry.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2011

I was three... The footage is very difficult to watch. :(

28. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 28, 2011

I was at home sick from school on the couch watching the launch live and all the replays all day long. I wouldn't let my sisters change the channel when they got home, I was so sad and riveted.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 28, 2011

I wasn't alive.

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 28, 2011

I was in high school, 10th grade. I was in Mr. A's social studies class when Mrs. C came in and told him. She was crying. That was when we knew something was wrong. We didn't watch it, but I remember being so sad. I saw on the news at home and even though I knew what happened, seeing it made it so real and heartbreaking. I showed my kids pictures of the crew and their patch today (we are working on our mission patches) and talked about my memories. I teared up as I talked about it. One of my kids commented on how sad it still was. Then he said, "Ms. F, promise us that you won't ever try to do that, ok?" It was sweet. I have read A Journal for Christa (http://www.amazon.com/Journal-Chris...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296254156&sr=8-1) and she was truly an amazing person.

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 28, 2011

I was at my sitter's house. I remember she was mad that they were showing it instead of The Price is Right, then she felt bad afterward when it exploded. We stopped and said a prayer.

32. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 28, 2011

I was 4 so I don't remember what I was doing at the time!

33. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 28, 2011

I am one of the oldsters, I was at work and when we heard I ran outside and got my little 1.5 inch screen TV. We ended up watching the reruns the rest of the day and just talking about how sad it was.

This is one of the moments in time I remember clearly, just as I remember the JFK assasination, mans landing on the moon and 911. It is sad that so many of these memories are of disasters.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2011

It's so interesting to read where we all were... I remember the room...name of my teacher...although the sub's escapes me!!!
    I remember all the Weekly Readers about Christa, the teacher. I remember it afterwards as well. I may have even kept it somewhere.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

36. amethyst24

amethyst24 Rookie

Jan 28, 2011

I was only one year old, and my mom tells me I was in my high chair eating lunch. Being from New Hampshire, where Christa McAuliffe taught, I am still saddened by the tragedy, even though I don't remember it happening. I remember hearing about it from a very early age and have visited the planetarium in her honor many times.

37. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

I had applied to be the Teacher in Space. I was way too inexperienced to have been successful though. I got special permission to bring students to my room to watch the launch. I bought the Teacher in Space patch and cherished it for years. After going to Teacher Space Camp, I put the patch on my flight suit. This is always a hard day for me.
    Great story today on NPR about of the astronauts and his early struggle with racial equality at his town library - which is being renamed in his honor.
    http://www.npr.org/2011/01/28/133275198/astronauts-brother-recalls-a-man-who-dreamed-big

38. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2011

I was student teaching in a preK/kdg classroom. I had made my major unit around space. We sat in a circle and "strapped in", and watched the lift off. We made our bodies "rumble" with the lift off, and "felt" the force pull us back a bit.....

Then the teacher and I watched in horror, and both jumped up to the TV and quickly turned it off....

Then we pretended nothing unusual had happened. Both of us were kind of dazed as we continued "exploring space".

When we both had a moment to catch our breaths and sit down together, we both started silently crying. She left to find out more about what happened, and I told some of the kids who saw me that I had hurt my finger.

39. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 28, 2011

I was sitting at my desk when my co-worker ran in the room with this awful look on her face. "Have you heard about the tragedy?" We all looked at her and she started to cry...it took a few minutes for her to tell us; we quickly turned the radio on to a news station. We were all heartbroken.

40. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

I was in Dallas........ Made me cry ..... off and on for many days.... :(

41. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

Was in college. Hadnt heard or seen anything since I was in class, but when I got back to the apartment we all sat and watched.