Where to start?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by breezymarie07, Aug 19, 2013.

1. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 19, 2013

So, I was just offered a 4th grade job today! I literally have no idea where to start for planning! I have orientation/staff development next M-W, so I know I won't really be able to do much until then. However, I want to get some things done.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to begin? I just bought a theme pack from TpT, so I have my theme - Monsters! It aligns with Class Dojo, which I love:)

I know they use Guided Reading/Daily 5, so I have some stuff pinned on Pinterest I could look at.

I need to build my library - where are good resources to find books to add to my list? I have some already, but definitely need to buy more.

Where are places that offer teacher discounts? What kind of proof do you have to show? I should get my official employment letter in the next couple of days - is that valid to show?

Any ideas/help to get me to organize my thoughts would be much appreciated! I feel like this right now: :dizzy: haha

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 19, 2013

Welcome to 4th grade! It is a great grade level.

Have you actually read The Daily Five? If not, that would be a good start. You can get it as a kindle download from amazon, and download their reader for your computer. It is a short book -- it doesn't take that long to read, but will leave you much more prepared.

Are you in a common core state? If so, download the common core to get ideas of what you will be teaching in terms of math, lanuage arts and social studies. You'll probably get your actual curriculum during teacher orientation -- but it can't hurt to get some ideas now.

Good luck! You'll have a great year!

4. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 19, 2013

Thank you!!:)

I am in the process of reading The Daily Five right now! Have you read the Cafe one (I think that's right?)? Would that be another good one to check out?

I am also in a common core state and have had the standards since my first semester in the education program:) I'll have to spend more time on 4th as I was in 3rd last year for student teaching.

5. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 19, 2013

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like you are on the right track already. I get lots of my books from garage sales and flea markets. There also might be some in your classroom left behind by another teachers. I would also check craigslist! Best of luck!