Where to start? Where to apply?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by madderhatterme, Jun 6, 2011.

1. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

I won't be applying to teaching positions until Spring 2012, but I am starting to prepare and research now. I will be student teaching in the fall, and graduating in December with a MAT Secondary English. I have committed to staying at my current job at the local Boys & Girls Club until the end of the 2012 school year - I love it there!

So my question is essentially this: Where should I apply? How many applications should I send? Should I center my search in one or two areas or just go crazy and ship them out everywhere?
    I am currently in NH, but I really feel like I need a change. I will have excellent connections and references in state, which will be helpful when the hiring season comes. However, I am not sure if I'd be content to stay in this area. My brother and his wife are in DC, but have recently told me they plan on moving to Richmond or someplace similar in 5 years or so. This means anchoring myself to them feels a little foolish, though I love the DC area.

Should I apply to places in NH and DC/VA/MD and see what happens, then send out more applications if no interviews or successes happen? Or, should I just go bananas and send them out to every area I COULD see myself living (Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Portland, etc...) and just see what happens? Or, is that a recipe for disaster and a huge debt from plane tickets?

What would you do? What should I do?! I really feel an urge to go explore this country, but the majority of my family is on the east coast (with a few in Chicago).

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2011

I would seriously consider where I would be happy living and then concentrate on those areas when sending out resumes. Also look at places that have openings and think, would I be happy in this area?

4. CAretired

CAretired Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

to Madderhatterme:
    I agree with Mopar. Find out where you would be happy. Seems like you are all over the place (map). You have a year to get focused and make a plan. What is your number 1 priority? family, interests/hobbies, weather, job security, etc. I would not base my career on family that may relocate on you. Also, consider the cost of travel to visit family during the year and summers. Research your favorite cities - good and bad. I checked websites for cost of living in various states (sales tax, state income tax, housing costs, utilities, gasoline, etc.) as it all adds up. What looks good initially can be an economic nightmare. Two counties in one state with the same pay but one has a much higher cost of living. This is a business decision not an emotional decision. Investigate whether or not the state has a teacher union and can you pay into social security as a teacher in that state. Look at typical teacher pay scales in each area and what it takes to reach the top. Some states have strict requirements to maintain your credentials and the cost is on you. Think about your long term future and not just what you would like for the next 5 years. Lastly, do these cities have large unified districts or small ones? Down the road, this could impact your being laid off and your ability to be re-assigned. This is your life for the next few years so choose wisely. Good luck to you.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 7, 2011

I am graduating with my credential and master's at the same time you are - but I'm elementary, not secondary.

Personally, I plan to apply all over my ENTIRE state, which is quite a large area! Elementary jobs are very hard to come by in California, and I cannot afford to be picky. Ideally, I want to be able to stay in my state, so I'm going to try my hardest to do that first. Currently, my husband's family lives 10 minutes from us, but my family lives 450 miles away (still in CA). If we stay in CA, no matter where we end up, we will be within a few hours of family, either his or mine, which is a big positive. :)

I'm not sure if you should send them to every area you could see yourself living. I don't know a lot about applying out of state (others on here could help you more with that), but I do know that many states will not even look at your application if you don't already have their certification. Since you are graduating in December, you have time to get certified in other areas, but this may require taking a test, paying a fee, etc. It all depends on your state and the other state. I personally wish things were not so individual to each state - it certainly makes crossing state lines more difficult!

How has NH's job market been? Unfortunately, all the connections in the world won't get you a job if there are none to be had. My CT last semester in my first placement loves me, as did the grade level team, but her district is planning to lay off teachers next year pending tax extensions our governor is trying to pass (but it's not looking good), so her connection most likely can't get me a job. Hopefully, her reference can get me a job somewhere else...!

Personally, I think sending out the most applications possible is beneficial in this job market. Expand to charter and private schools as well. You mentioned the DC area, and I know they have a lot of charters. You're at a good, unattached stage in your life where you can move...and if you don't like it, you're not necessarily stuck there forever!

Best of luck to you! :)

6. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

Thank you all so much. You've given me some great advice.

CAretired: Goodness gracious, you gave me so many things to think about. That was all extremely helpful advice. I had considered some of the factors (salary v. cost of living, etc), but other factors (unions, district makeup) I had never considered!

yellowdaisies: The great thing about CA is there is so much DIVERSITY. LA is completely different from San Diego, which is different from San Francisco... on and on. New Hampshire has, essentially, north and south. North is mountains and log cabins and 30 minute dirt road rides to town. South is somewhat more built up, but mostly still "New Englandy". I grew up in So. NH, and I'm tired of it, you know?! Luckily, the job market here is quite good (in comparison with other states). For instance, the district I will be ST in this fall has 3 middle school LA openings and a high school English opening. I would say 60% of districts have SOMETHING I could apply to open right now... If I were certified yet.

I think I will likely make a list of all my "Livable Places" and then narrow them down per CAretired's advice. Once I have 3-4 areas, I can start picking districts and counties to apply to! NH will always be on the list, because I'm essentially familiar with the entire state's makeup.