Where to seat the students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ross, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 10, 2013

Having a discussion with the youngest of my own kids as where to sit students that are disruptive and do minimal work.

He suggests sitting them in the front row where they are under the direct eye of the teacher so they can't turn around and can't hide the fact they are not working.

I contend they need to be separated around the room and the most disruptive students isolated and moved to the back of the room were they will have the least influence.

I prefer my hardest and most attentive students towards the front so they are least affected by any nonsense occurring behind them.

Any thoughts on stationing these students?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 10, 2013

I have my room arranged so that as I walk around the classroom, no student is ever more than 2 desks away from me.

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jan 10, 2013

Agree with Ima Teacher. It's not so much where one places the students rather where to place the teacher. Students who want to talk and goof off will always try to place themselves farthest away from the teacher. Distance is safety. If goofs are in the front row and teacher moves to the back to help a student for too long odds ratchet up goofs will go for it. If goofs are in the back - the favorite spot due to years of watching most teachers teach from the front - and teacher stops to help a student in the front same thing. Ima Teacher has it down... keep moving so students are seldom in the "front" or "back".

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2013

How many kids do you have in your class? :confused: I've tried every configuration, but even the best one that I've found has kids 6 desks away from me.

(I have a very small room and close to 40 kids.)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2013

I assign these students seats near wherever I am going to be spending most of my time (it depends on units where I teach from). If I am lucky enough to have an assistant, I will sometimes place students with work avoiding issues at the same table with the assistant. This helps them to get started on the task.

Where to place a student also depends on what drives their behavior. Are they driven by their peers' reactions? If so, near the teacher might be best.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 11, 2013

This year I have 28 kids per class and 30 desks. Last year I had 35 kids with 35 desks and a table with 2 chairs.

My old classroom was considerably smaller, but I used the same seating arrangement, except that I didn't have an aisle behind desks. Still, the longest row was only 3 desks.

[​IMG]

8. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Jan 11, 2013

I personally like the horse shoe with the most disruptive in the center of the horseshoe where I can see them the most. :)

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 11, 2013

I have the same set up as Ima Teacher. It makes it really easy to see who is on task and who isn't. My biggest class has 27. For those that make the unfortunate choice to pick on their neighbor/talk/blurt out/whatever we have what the kids named "the island." All it is is a desk either in the back or a desk facing the front of the room. I sent two kids to the "island" today and another kid chose to go there to keep himself from getting in trouble. Works wonders. As soon as my kiddos are out of eyesight of the rest of class, they can keep their mouth shut and focus better. And because the way the room is set up I'm still only a few steps from them.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 11, 2013

I use a horseshoe. My "trouble makers" (who are angels compared to last year) are in the front by me.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 11, 2013

I used to have a horseshoe, but I gave up that arrangement when I got my Smartboard. I have a whiteboard and a Smartboard at the other. I teach from both ends of the room.

12. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 11, 2013

I've never used a horseshoe shape, but I think I would like it...

[On a side note, I'm jealous of your whiteboard/Smartboard combo. Right now I have a Smartboard mounted over top of my white board. And my Smartboard has no power cord or power button. So now I have what we have termed a "Dumbboard" functioning as a glorified projector and about 2 feet of white board space that I have to share with another teacher.....]

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 11, 2013

Whatever you do, please don't place the disruptive students near the good students. This punishes the good kids - parents don't send their children to school to be responsible for another kid's behavior. I tell my students on the first day to sit where they please, but ask the disruptive kids to sit in the back so the intelligent kids who'll get privileges don't have to deal with their rudeness. I seldom raised my voice, so the students had to lean in to hear me. I gave tangible rewards at the drop of a hat to well-behaved kids who worked hard, which they were allowed to eat/play with/whatever in front of the bad kids. (No sharing allowed. Only those who earned, got.)

Is this unfair to the disruptive kids? No, it isn't. Each kid had the same choices. Choose wisely and the consequences are good. Choose foolishly and the consequences are dire.

This usually worked, by the way. When parents of naughty kids complained, they were told the procedure: each kid CHOSE his/her place in the classroom. And kids were free to move themselves from back to front any time they decided to behave.

This was middle school, but it would probably work with lower levels, too.

The less we give attention to the lowest common denominator, the more time we have to give attention to the genuine students, who deserve it most. Please don't give me pap about how kids who need it most deserve it least. Live is full of choices, and students who choose well deserve the most.

Bright kids shouldn't have to come to school to tutor or monitor the slower kids. Once in a while, maybe, but I sent my children to school to learn how to soar, not sit out in the hall getting pinched black and blue by a disruptive kid who has no intention of learning those five spelling words he/she was sent out there to learn, my kid held responsible for the other kid's behavior out there AND his/her learning. When I remember this, all kinds of graphic adjectives flit through my head, one of which was LIVID.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2013

I think it depends on the behaviors. I put my sleepers in the back of the room, mostly so that their snoozing doesn't become contagious and so that the rest of the class doesn't see that disrespectful behavior. My chatterboxes usually get placed on the perimeter or near me--usually they will settle talking to me if they can't get access to their peers, and that's okay with me. If I've got any seriously rude or obnoxious kids, I tend to put them as far away from their pals as possible, usually along the side perimeter pr at the back near the sleepers.