Where to put bookbags???!??

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by MrsB2B, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I will be a first year 6th grade teacher and was fortunate enough to start setting up my room last week. I did run into a problem. The student's desks are the attached ones (used in high school a lot)...very little room for storage. When I put all of the desks in rows (pretty much my only option for that style of desk)...I realized the school does not have lockers and I will have bookbags in my room. I will be team teaching with one other teacher, so together I estimate about 50 kids (25 with each teacher and they rotate for classes).

Where do I put the bookbags?? I don't have any cubbies and the majority of dead space is filled with various stuff. Someone suggested leaving room between desks for them to hang the bookbags, but I can see that becoming an instant problem.

Any suggestions? Or has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks in advance!! :eek:hmy:

3. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Aug 8, 2007

My kids put their bags under their chairs. They needed reminders, but they acted pretty quickly when I told them that I would be a little bit sad if I accidentally stepped on their bags and broke their cell phones/PSP's/iPods that they had hidden in the front pocket. The kids with rolling backpacks put them against the wall or in the back of the room if they didn't fit under the desk.

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 8, 2007

Do you have sapce for wall hooks? I have the super heavy-duty ones anchored across a two-by-four at the back of my room. I give students about five minutes at the start of class to get everything they need out of the bags, then they are on hooks til pack up time at the end of the day. The hooks are behing my door, and they are very convenient. just an idea.

5. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I ask them to put them in front of/between their legs. We have been in school over 2 weeks and I still need to remind them. I don't like the attached desk/chair set up. The students struggle with their binder and notebook, plus other reading material needed on that small space.