Where to meet people?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by yarnwoman, Sep 11, 2011.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

Ok, I was not going to originally ask this but here it goes.....
    I am 46 divorced and both kids just went off to college. I know my colleagues and have old friends from high school that I speak with on facebook. A really good friend from college that I talk with on the phone (she lives three states away). I also have several friends from when I was married but they are far away as well so we only talk online.

I am not into the bar scene. Where do I meet people? I do not have a lot of spending money to do things (I think every two weeks I probably have only $20 - 30 after bills, groceries, gas etc). would love to have some friends to do things with.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

Do you go to church? Sometimes churches have social groups.

See if your library has a book club.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

Can you do some volunteer work somewhere?

How about adult ed-- take a class in personal finance or kickboxing or volleyball.

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

try meetup.com. When my friend moved from Ohio to Seattle, she tried out a few of the groups there and made some new friends.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2011

Clubs, volunteer, fun classes (cooking, biking, yoga, swing- and you don't need to bring a partner, they'll partner you up :), etc)

7. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 9, 2011

There are a few of us at school that plan teacher nights out. We write our plan up on the white board in the teachers room and people sign up. From that a few of us have made a sub group and we travel and get together for everybody's birthday. We have still continued to put additional outings for everybody on the board. We have a staff of 25 and people of all ages come together and enjoy each others company. Sometime the topic starts on school but then we end up on other things. I have a line I use both in the lunch room and outtings like these when there gets to be too much teacher talk. Has anybody seen a good movie lately? We have also had game nights at somebodies house (really cheap). It is fun to see people out of the school setting and can really build moral.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 10, 2011

I second the church idea. Find a church that is small enough that you can get to know people, and big enough that they have group activities. Most people at church will welcome you and try to help you get to know other people.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2011