Where to look to build my class library?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Sep 7, 2014.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

I know I could go to used book stores and library sales, but does anyone know of any way to shop for books by guided reading level, online or not?

I've been fortunate enough to have a principal this year that has set aside some funds for me to help build up my class library since the school did not originally have enough books for me when I was hired. I need to find a lot of first and second grade level books (most of what I have are third and higher).

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

Ebay is a good bet. I also struck gold at Goodwill and Freecycle. You can get a box of books every 2 weeks from Half Price Books too.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2014

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2014

(I'm a thrift store shopper though. I wouldn't pay over $0.50 - and usually less - for a book, so these are both out of my price range. Discounted from cover price, but still an expensive way to build a collection. If you have the funds to do so, though... lucky you!)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 7, 2014

I would also suggest Half.com, if you want to browse what is out there and have some idea of what you are looking for or have a wish list. Some sellers will give you a break on shipping if they have several different books that you are interested in. Have you sent home a note to parents that you are trying to grow the library? Many parents love to donate books - it is a permanent way to help not only the current students, but all those who come after. You might be pleasantly surprised at what comes in!

7. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 7, 2014

Ebay is a pretty awesome place because you can buy lot sets of books. I knew my students last year loved the magic tree house series so I bought a lot set of the Magic tree house. I think I got like 20 books in the series for $15. Half.com is also a great site that I've used a lot. Even Amazon's marketplace (their used section) is pretty good.

8. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. Much appreciated!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 7, 2014

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 7, 2014

I built two classroom libraries (3rd and 5th) with over 1000 titles in each. I got free books from book clubs every month. I also bought from Salvation Army (sometimes 5 for a dollar) and Goodwill. I almost never paid more than .79 per book. I was constantly on the hunt!

11. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 8, 2014

I agree about thrift stores. I found an amazing little thrift store by my house that sells books 6 for a dollar!!! They're not a big name and they don't advertise, so I had no idea they even sold books until I randomly walked in. I'd suggest calling places like that in your area to check if they sell books, and what the average price is.

Also, garage sales. People want to get rid of stuff, and will usually give you a cheaper price if you buy in bulk.

And ebay. But I think the above options are cheaper. ;)

Best of luck! Building a library is a daunting task, but we've all been there.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 9, 2014

It's such fun, though. I was able to gather class sets (for a small class, haha) and even teaching materials.

13. Errrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrrr! Rookie

Sep 9, 2014

I like to use half.com. If you buy books from the same seller it could be pretty good.

Thrift stores are a must. I bought 72 books for $2.00 in some sort of sale. I've used craigslist, but sometimes people want to charge full price.

14. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Sep 11, 2014

What kind of book clubs?

15. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Sep 11, 2014