Where to live for student teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Marie88, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Marie88

Marie88 Guest

Oct 27, 2016

I will be student teaching next semester. Currently I am placed with a school about 30 mins from my college. I am hesitant to live in a dorm during student teaching. My only other solution would be to live at home and have almost an hour commute or see if I can get placed at a school closer to my house. I am familiar with my cooperating teacher because I have completed hours with her before and have anxiety that if I choose a school near my house I will be stuck with a bad teacher. Pros of living at home with closer location would help money wise and be safer in the winter, and cons would be either the longer drive or getting a different school with possible bad co-op teacher. Looking for some advice. Have any of you lived in the dorm while student teaching (with a roommate) and was the experience fine or would living at home be a better option, as well as should I keep the school I am with or try for a closer school near home?

Aswain Medha likes this.
  3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2016

I lived my entire college career at home so I can't speak to how living in a dorm would be during student teaching. I would think it would be equivalent to living in an apartment with a roommate and having to work as a teacher. If you do move home, the hour commute might be something you can handle for the short amount of time that student teaching is. It would definitely give you time to prepare yourself in the mornings and decompress in the afternoons. I would pick the coteacher I know over an unknown myself.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 27, 2016

I lived at home during my college years. Throughout student teaching, I had very little income coming in (I worked at a bank the entire time I was in college, but was only able to work on Saturdays due to full-time student teaching).

Personally, I'd choose to move back with my parents and be placed at a school close to their home.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 27, 2016

Where I am from, you get two different placements for student teaching. I lived at home at the time since I wouldn't be able to work as much. Needed to save money.

My first placement was 30min away with a not so great cooperating teacher. She did not let me be creative what so ever. Very old fashioned in what she did.
    The other placement was about 50min away with a wonderful cooperating teacher. From my own experience I would definitely drive further to be with the "good" cooperating teacher. It's less stressful and was enjoyable to go in each day. Plus, I had the support I needed to be successful and not be so nervous when my professor would come in to observe.

Hope this helps!

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2016

Are you currently living in the dorms? If so, why do you feel continuing to do so would be a bad choice?

otterpop likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2016

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 27, 2016

I'd suggest living at home and sticking with the teacher you know.
    I'm going to be entering the student teaching phase myself next year and I'm currently living at home. I intend to keep doing so, even though I've requested a placement in another city/county area about 45 minutes away. These particular districts I requested placement in are in an area that's more in line with my sensibilities and have schools that are known for being well-run and well-funded, as well as one of the best pay rates in the state, so I figure getting my foot in the door there is worth the drive. In your case, working with the teacher you know and establishing more connections and a reputation there would be worth the drive you'd be taking on.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 27, 2016

My university had three sites. I picked the one half an hour from my parents' home.

10. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Oct 27, 2016

I am also curious why you are hesitant to live in the dorms. I lived in dorms for student teaching and had no problem. Both of my placements were 35-45 min away depending on traffic. I would usually leave around 7:15am. I'm a morning person but I would pick a shorter commute anytime.

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 27, 2016

I would love to live in the dorms again.
    I actually regret not doing it all 4 years of college.
    I just miss college

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 27, 2016

I lived in the dorms during student teaching. There were many nights my roommate came in just as I was getting up for the day! My hall was all of my sorority sisters, so everyone was pretty good about keeping the noise down after midnight.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2016

Because of the seminar classes that go with the practicums, on campus, I am voting for dorm. Consider it a way to practice being authoritative. Home has its own set of problems - people expect things of you just because you are in the house. Honestly, your question caught me off guard, since NOT staying at the dorm, which is where you are living, has obviously not hindered your education up until this point.

14. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Oct 29, 2016

Definitely stick with the co-op you already know. It's not worth the risk of getting stuck with a poor CT match.

I lived in the student-only apartments during my student teaching. They were basically dorms, but with no RAs, so no real supervision. I had a roommate, but it was a great set-up because we were both student teaching that semester. We had each other to lean on for support. We kept similar hours and had a similar workload. Our neighbors were obnoxious (the girl above us would pace the floor wearing high heeled shoes, the people below us were constantly high) but we dealt with it. The biggest potential problem I can see with dorms is if you have a bad roommate who won't respect your needs. If she's a normal person, have a conversation about how your needs are going to change now. If she's someone who might pull something like turning off your alarm or drunkenly puke on student's papers, go home. Otherwise, it's probably going to be more convenient to stay on campus.

15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 31, 2016

What is your living situation like on campus? There are a huge variety of residence halls / dorms. Some are noisy hallways where you share a room with one or more roommates. Some are apartment style and not much different from living on your own. What's your current situation like?

I don't think you would have much trouble student teaching while living in the dorms. But if finances matter much (and they do to many of us), it might make more sense to take the risk of being placed with a random supervising teacher and save money while living at home.

In short, it all comes down to your personal preferences. I don't think there's any good reason to feel like you need to do either one.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2016

I had no problem living in a dorm during student teaching. I guess it helped that the other people I lived with were also education majors. My roommate had a different major but had to get up early for her internship so we both went to bed early. Are you afraid that the late hours some students keep in dorms will be difficult to deal with? Other than that, I don't see any issues.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2016

I'd stay with the dorms and the current placement. You'll appreciate having friends nearby for those occasions where you are actually capable of socializing.

otterpop likes this.
  18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 1, 2016

I stayed in the dorms. The dorm I chose was quiet and people where there to study or they were working when not in class. I personally was not ready to be living in an apartment so a dorm was a great choice for me.

otterpop likes this.
  19. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 1, 2016

I lived off campus in a house with two other roommates. It was kind of wild, lol, but super fun. If they were being too loud when I was trying to sleep, I would just text one of them from my bed and they'd quiet down. I'd join them as much as I could--mostly on the weekends. I miss those days! My high school placement was about 30 minutes away (during the winter--sometimes the roads were icy, so I feel your pain!) and my middle school placement was about 5 minutes away unless I stayed at my boyfriends house--then it was 45 minutes to an hour's drive. Honestly, I think having the shorter commute time is worth it. Could you go home on the weekend if you need time to rest/recoup/be away from dorm life? Could you talk to your university and explain the situation and see what options you have available? It's great you are considering both sides. Best of luck to you!

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 2, 2016

I chose to move to the town where I did my student teaching. It was about 15 miles from my college and 30 miles from my home. I was living in the dorms at the time. I gave up my dorm and moved to the town with my school. This was before Internet, so I really wanted to be nearby school. Also, the district where I worked rarely missed for snow, and I'd have had to navigate curvy rural roads in bad weather.