Where to go to school for credential

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Blank, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 15, 2014

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

I'm in California. For my multiple subject credential, I'm debating between going to a Cal State for a brick-and-mortar program and the CalStateTeach program. Both are run by the Cal State system, but the latter is an online program (for the pedagogy courses, of course...I would still do student teaching and observations like normal). I was talking to my mentor professor from my undergrad years today and he was not too thrilled at the idea of an "online" school, even if it does bear the Cal State name. If I do CalStateTeach, I can be credentialed Dec. 2015. If I do a brick-and-mortar Cal State program, I can be credentialed Dec. 2016 at the earliest. I just want to start teaching already, but I understand why my professor would have some reservations.

What would you do? I've done research both on these forums and on google about the online vs. "real" school debate, so I'm familiar with both arguments. I'm just not sure if I'm willing to risk (if I'm risking anything at all) the stigma of an online program on my resume for when I start looking for jobs. I know it SHOULDN'T matter, but the fact is that it definitely could negatively affect me, which is obviously a bad thing given this economy and the lack of jobs (even though I've been told it's starting to look up...). Oh, and the price would be relatively the same, so that isn't a factor. My brick and mortar school I would go to is pretty close to home, so distance isn't really a factor (although online classes would be pretty convenient). I like the idea of not having to go to a "real" class for college courses, but that's petty and I can get over that :lol: I'm in Orange County, if it matters (maybe the answers would differ depending on region?). My plan is to get a single subject math credential added on (and possibly science), so I could see that potentially making a difference, as well (as in more of a "doesn't matter if you go the online route", where I could see just having a multiple subject credential looking better coming from a brick and mortar).

Thank you for your time in advance, teacher friends!

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 15, 2014

I chose online to get it done faster. Mine was out of state, which caused hassles, but if you can do an online in-state program, I see no cons. Just go with whichever you personally prefer.

4. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 15, 2014

As long as you're still doing student teaching and getting that in-class experience, I personally wouldn't worry about doing the pedagogy stuff online, especially if you'll get done faster. If I'd had that option, I would have done it in a heartbeat. If you've never done any online classes before, just be forewarned that you have to be pretty self-motivated and stay on top of things.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2014

I think some A to Z members have been credentialed through CalStateTeach, though the names escape me at the moment.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 15, 2014

I was trying to be budget conscious and my decision making went like this:

I can go to online school and get my degree a year sooner, and get a good paying job.
    -or-
    I can go to a physical campus and get my degree a year later - and miss out on a potential extra 25k in income. That was equal to the total cost of the degree.

Looking back, I know I would have enjoyed a physical campus more. Money isn't everything. But I got a quality education and don't feel like it has hurt my job prospects.

7. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Oct 16, 2014

At the end of the program with CalStateTeach it will reflect the CalState program. The question you need to ask yourself is how self disciplined are you? With online classes you have be self discipline. The upside to online classes in your situation is that you will get done quicker. Also you will still have the student teaching and observations in a real classroom.

8. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Oct 16, 2014

All my friends who did cal state teach were already working in schools on emergency credentials.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 16, 2014

In my experience, it doesn't really matter where you get your credential. The brick-and-mortar Cal State program doesn't do the best job of preparing you anyway. And as long as you're getting the student teaching and experience, then I think the online program should be fine.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 16, 2014

I have a friend who did Cal State Teach for her multiple subject. I went to...the Cal State in Orange County, actually. If you have any questions about that, let me know. I did their combined multiple subject/masters program though. Anyway, I LOVED my program, I mean LOVED. She sort of liked hers. I think if you're going to get done an entire year earlier (which I am confused about...is it because of how far in advance the admissions process is at CSUF and the others?), I would probably go with the online route. It isn't going to look bad at all on your resume - it's still through Cal State. You do have to be VERY self-disciplined, as has been mentioned. My friend wasn't a huge fan of the program because she clashed with her advisor, and that made things really difficult during the fieldwork/student teaching portion.

In my program, I was in a cohort of 26 people - we took all our classes together, and became like a family. I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. Online is a much less personal and connected experience. However, everyone is different. Online wouldn't have been my first choice, but it might work really well for others.

Anyway, just some thoughts... hope my rambling helps!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 16, 2014

I did all coursework (undergrad, teaching credential, and master's) at CSU.

I'm one of those people who likes to actually sit in a classroom and be able to interact with a live person.

I created a lot of beautiful units in the credential program, but none of the things I learned were really applicable in the real world!

12. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 16, 2014

It'd actually be doing the application process for both schools at the same time (this semester), to start spring of 2015. For the OC or LA county Cal States, I need to take prereqs before actually starting the program, so there's one semester...then the schools I'm interested don't offer summer session (for teaching classes, as far as I know), where CalStateTeach does, so there's that additional semester :/ Did your friend get a job after doing CalStateTeach? I think I'm just worried about interviews...I know the Cal State name will be there, but I worry about principals asking about the program...once I say it's online (or if they already knew), I fear that it will have less "edge" than a traditional classroom program.

Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to ask you if I have any questions about CSUF...I've actually applied and got accepted for this semester, but I ended up not going due to personal reasons (it was for single subject, but now I'm going for a multiple)...I may try again, though! :)

13. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 16, 2014

Thanks for all the advice so far, everyone!

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 16, 2014

OH, you're doing multiple? I must have missed that. My friend ended up moving to Colorado, and she did get a job there. In interviews, they don't really ask about your credential program. They're more concerned about experience and being able to answer questions based on experience. So whatever gives more fieldwork and helps gain more confidence (for you personally) is probably the best way to go.

Have you considered doing the combined program at CSUF? I completely *loved* that program. It's 16 months, but you come out of it with 60 units, including an M.S. (I figured I would make it even longer...:lol:)

Honestly, I think if you really want to do Cal State Teach, you'll be fine. I really don't think it will make you less marketable. You'll be getting the classroom experience just like a brick and mortar school, and that's what counts.

15. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 17, 2014

Thank you so much, yellowdaisies. Your responses have been really helpful! I'm going to look into that combined CSUF program :)

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 17, 2014

Sorry for being a salesperson for that program, haha! :lol: PM me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer them. :)

17. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Oct 18, 2014

I went through Brandman University's program and loved it. It is more expensive than a CSU school, but they offer the courses online. Each week your class meets in a virtual classroom for one hour from seven to eight o'clock at night. The instructor uses that time to lecture or show videos. Each week we would be given resources pertaining to the readings. I would print these out and keep them in a binder. Even though the program is online, if you put time and energy into the courses, you will be well prepared to teach.