where to find mini white boards??

Discussion in 'High School' started by traeh, Sep 14, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 14, 2007

Where can I find a cheap set of 30 mini white boards to distribute to my kids for activities..??

3. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Everyone says to go to a home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes & get a sheet of shower board & have one of the employees cut it into several small boards.

I also read about taking refills for those photo albums where the plastic peels away from the backing (the older ones that aren't really safe for photos.) Apparently the plastic works for dry erase while the white insert gives it some structure & a white background.

I haven't tried either of these yet. But if you do, please let me know how it goes!

4. msb

msb Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Hi, I've been using white cardstock and sheet protectors as my whiteboards in class. Just place the white cardstock paper within the sheet protectors and you have an instant whiteboard. I have been using this for the past two years, and it works really well. The students place it in their notebooks and take them out for warm-ups or anytime I need to check for understanding.

I would have them bring their own dry erase marker or you can provide them (collect them after).

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2007

realllygoodstuff.com has fairly inexpensive whiteboard sets. They also have fast shipping!

6. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Sep 16, 2007

That's great! What are some ways that you can incorporate these white boards into an English classroom for high schoolers?

7. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 16, 2007

Okay everyone.. thanks for the suggestions. I actually found some fairly inexpensive mini-chalkboard sets from orientaltradingcompany.com. I bought 30 for 30 bucks. They are shaped like ping pong paddles... which is fun!

inlovewithwords (great username by the way) .. You can use them in class if you are reviewing/studying vocabulary words and definitions for instance, and you want to see if everyone knows the words (check their comprehension).

You say the definition and they write it on the mini-board and hold it up when finished. That way, you can assess the learning of all the students easily. Also, it ensures that everyone participates (if they aren't writing/holding up the board.. they are lacking in that department). Also, if you are reviewing a novel/story's theme.. you can have them write their responses on the mini boards and exchange with a partner to see if they both have similar responses. Then you could have the partner's discuss similarities and differences in the responses they had written and exchanged. Or have the entire class discuss their differences/similarities together...

just some thoughts...

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 16, 2007

i've watched a math class where the teacher was testing vocabulary and would say the definition and the students had to write the vocab word answer. it was quite neat actually. he split it up between 2 students though and they had to switch every other word. i think i would do that maybe for a jeopardy type game (every 2 or 3 students or group) as opposed to individuals-otherwise it's just a quiz and u can collect paper.

10. mathman

mathman Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Have you tried ebay.com?

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2007

I second the idea about buying showerboard at Home Depot. You can get enough board for about 30 individual white boards for about $10. Home Depot (or wherever) will cut it for you, usually for free. Then you just slather on some Turtle Wax, wipe it right off, and you're good to go.