Where to find good science videos for class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Feb 2, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2014

This is for fifth grade. Some are too long, some are too short. I don't want to show a series like Planet Earth, but some small parts of it to explain some of the concepts. Do you have a go to website that you use? Or a few? We don't have Brain Pop, and cartoons aren't really what I have in mind.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

YouTube ... search for the topic of interest.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2014

With youtube, a video editor, a couple chrome extensions and a willingness to ignore stupid laws you can easily pull short clips from just about anything.

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2014

Can you explain this a little more? Video editor? Chrome extensions? HUH? I have shown a few universe videos, and would like to make them shorter. How can I do this? Sounds interesting...

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 3, 2014

Steve Spangler has hundreds of really good science videos on his website, on YouTube, and on TeacherTube. Subscribe to The Spangler Effect, Sick Science, and Spangler Science. All free; all excellent; all safe for home or school. You can also call and get a live person to answer questions, during office hours.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2014

Chrome is a web browser. You can add extensions (basically apps) to it that add to its functionality. There are a few that let you save Youtube videos to your computer. Once you do that you can run them through an editor (Windows Movie Maker on PC, iMovie on Mac) and do whatever you want with them. You can fairly easily trim the parts you don't want and when you save it you'll have the video as you want it.

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

www.discoveryeducation.com has some great science videos, as well as lesson plans, games, etc. They are searchable by just about any way you choose (grade level, standard, topic, length, etc.). But the school has to have an account. Ask your principal, because it's definitely worth it!

9. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Feb 5, 2014

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2014

I use these a lot. They can be very helpful, but they are a cartoon. I was looking for more realistic videos with CGI. We've watched one or two on You tube and they are fascinating, but long Nova or Discovery Chanel type presentations.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 8, 2014

I find most of my videos at YouTube- I like that they have a feature that let's you start a video at a particular section that you want the students to watch too :)

Thanks for sharing that StudyJams site- I've never come across it before.

Something you could think of doing if you can't find videos that fit what you need is to use a program to create your own. I use a program called "Jing" that let's me create short videos using my computer screen that I have students watch for HW or in class.

12. MissP89

MissP89 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014

Science Videos

I often use the magic schoolbus videos (search for a synopsis of each episode for topic/theme and find the one you want on youtube), they have great age-appropriate science content. I'd usually let the class watch the episode and either pause it as neccesary for mini-discussion or brainstorm, or watch it once and replay pertinent parts.

A good site from Australia is abc splash, if you google "ABC Splash Australia' and navigate to the science section you mind find some useful videos.

As another poster suggested, you can download streaming videos from sites (including youtube) and edit them yourself.
    I use the ANT video downloader (a plugin for the firefox browser).

Goodluck video hunting :)

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 8, 2014

I've found some good news on scince360.gov.

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2014

You tube and a downloading website to rip them off.

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2014

We use learn360.com.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

18. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 9, 2014

Most often, I search YouTube for videos. I subscribe to some of the channels by the sites listed above. My high school kids like anything that is funny and/or 3D.