where to find good but inexpensive children's books?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.E, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

Giant lots of books on Ebay, auction houses, and my MIL, who is always buying something for my children.

2. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

I have that as one of my procedures in my room. If the kids find a book that is torn, or worn- they bring it to me. I never knew one of my many hats would be "book repairer". I have gotten pretty good at it ;)

3. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Book Hospital ! I love it! Great Idea!!!!:2up:

4. mrs.teach

mrs.teach Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

i think this question was asked in another forum , but i cant find it...

what if your a new teacher, what discount can you get when you have no proof?

should i show them my teaching certification???....lol

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I would check out Half Price books. As far as showing them proof, take in your contract if you already have it. If not, see if the district can give you a temporary ID or something. If it's like my district, you will be getting an ID card soon. I would also send out book orders to the kids (don't know if this was mentioned already) but when they order, you get classroom points. You can also order and build up the points. You can use both points and your money to buy books...it builds up quickly. There are good prices, too. When I was going to college, I had a reading professor (reading was my major) who would give us book orders to buy books for our building classroom library. Every month or so she would order. It was great!

6. mrs.teach

mrs.teach Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

thanks teaching mom!!

7. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am soooo psyched! I just got back from the thrift store and bought 42 books and 5 movies....it cost me 31.00 and I added up the totals that I would have paid in a regular store - it would have been about 260.00!!! What savings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

That's the way to do it. It is amazing what you can get. I never take books that are yellowed or torn, either.

9. mrs.teach

mrs.teach Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

great deal!!!!:wow:

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

Don't you have an offer letter, insurance card...something with your school name on it?

Office Depot and Office Max, Staples are pretty easy. Barnes & Noble, and Borders and JoAnn's will ask for checkstub or school ID.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

be careful of garage sales

Please be careful of garage sale goodies.

My ex used to drag stuff out of the garage all the time. And each time he did, I had more spiders and centipedes! :eek:

Books can get wet, and have mold spores. Flip thru the pages, front and back, and make sure there is no damage, spots or evidence of mold. That would be really yucky to bring class.

I never take a box or crate from somebody, I dump everything out!!!

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

you're welcomed...don't forget to make it a 'teachable moment', even a lesson!

Some directors threatened to make us pay for damaged books! :eek: They claim as teacher, you are supposed to be responsible for showing the children how to care for the books, and make sure they are not damaged.

So the really pushed us to take care of books!

And as an Ed. Coordinator, I had to do the the same thing. I could not walk by a book stand at my sites, and see it looking crazy. Teachers would say, "The two year olds tear it up." I say, "That's when you stop them, show them how to care for them, and fix it." And, I fix it while I am talking to the teacher!! Only takes a few seconds, every time you walk by, just straighten out the books, and remove the torn ones!