Where to buy "Teacher Clothes"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TexasTeacher15, Feb 7, 2015.

1. TexasTeacher15

TexasTeacher15 Rookie

Feb 8, 2015

Thanks for all the suggestions!

2. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2015

Target?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

Oh blazer, Target is just about the best store in the world! You can really get anything you need there.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 9, 2015

I have a love/hate relationship with Target because I dish out so much $$$ each time I shop! :lol:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

Me too, YTG, me too!

6. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Feb 9, 2015

At NY&Co they are having a pant sale...all of their pants are buy 1 get one free. If you sign up for their email, you get $25 off of $75!!

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 9, 2015

Christopher & Banks

8. Mrs.Christie

Mrs.Christie Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

I just started subbing after being a stay at home mom for the past six years and recently had to figure out how to dress on a budget. I have stumbled upon a very affordable go-to outfit; ponte knit pants (thick and substantial so they don't look like regular leggings) with a looser, slightly longer top and possibly a jacket (denim) or open type cardi. I wear this with basic flats (dexflex from payless). I found my pants at Costco for $15 a pair and stocked up. Another suggestion I have is to try the Merona brand ankle pants at Target. I'm 5'4" myself and those ankle pants look really cute with flats as well. Target also has a nice selection of blouses, though it seems they sell out of the smaller sizes pretty quickly.

9. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 10, 2015

All about the thrift store for me. I am pretty sure my entire dress clothes/school clothes come from either gifts or the thrift store. Of from Primark in England.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2015

ICAM! It is the ultimate sale, but please shop carefully and with a good eye for value.

I read the post about the heavier leggings and laughed. Unless the top comes well down onto the thigh, you would earn a dress code violation in any school I have worked in. The exact wording is the equivalent of an 8 inch inseam. Who knew NJ would be so fashion oblivious! :blush:

11. Mrs.Christie

Mrs.Christie Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

Well, the pants I'm referring to have both front and rear pockets but are made of a ponte knit, which is heavier than your typical cotton leggings. Don't know what inseam has to do with it, do you mean the rise? Anyway, I always make sure my butt is covered by my blouse since the pants are tight.

I'm not even sure what the actual dress code is where I sub but I am dressed better than the majority of the teachers and I am in no way immodest.

How do schools with no leggings view skinny jeans or jeggings. Probably by the pocket rule I would guess.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2015

No, it is the fabric. Jeggings are leggings are seen as exactly the same and fall under the same restrictions. But you are right about the pockets - they have to have the extra pocket fabric that you can pull out, not just a piece of the legging material sewn on to be called real jeans. The inseam restriction pretty much indicates your top would need to go past your tush by the 6-8 inches. I didn't say you were immodest, I was only stating what the dress code says. And yes, as a woman, I am tired of having to try to enforce it! It isn't about the weight of the fabric - it is about the sprayed on tightness of the jeggings and leggings that seem to inspire dress code writers.