Where to buy a sheet of acrylic?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

The tables I've been given to use with my student are texurized folding tables. These are not the best for writing, and they are UGLY.

I'd like to cover them with fun fabric and then put a sheet of clear acrylic over the top of the fabric. Then we'd have a smooth surface to write, color, etc.

Any idea where to get this? Would Home Depot sell something like this?

3. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

I didn't see any acrylic on the home depot website. Have you thought about using their shower board to go over the fabric. It would double as a giant white board as well.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Yes, that could work. Hmmmm....

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Home Depot sells sheets of plastic, and Lexan.

TAP Plastics is another place to try.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

I was going to say... Home Depot. My father used one as a back splash behind his sink. So I know they are there. They have these thin blue protective sheets that you pull off (like come on the front of major appliances). And you MUST get a special knife (like an exacto) to cut it to the right shape. Then lightly sand the edges to avoid it being too sharp.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Excellent. Thanks, guys!!

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 6, 2009

Make sure and check under all the "psuedo" names for clear acrylic -- Plexiglass / Extruded Acrylic Sheet (aka Plexiglass, Lucite, Acrylite, Optix, Plexi). The kind you are looking for is called "clear film-masked (transparent.)"

Here's a place online where you can get it http://www.professionalplastics.com..._shop&wnname=shopcart&strfnbr=3&page=dispcart but usually you can call your local sign makers -- they will have a local source. (If you lived near me, I could point you to the local place -- but that doesn't help you in California.)

9. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I did that on my desk my first year teaching. I made a collage of pictures from the year (I do the school paper, so I had a ton) and then I put Plexi over it. It was cool, but alas, destroyed with the school.