Where to begin??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by OhThePlaces, Jun 9, 2007.

1. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

I was hired to teach 2nd grade this coming school year. I'm a first year teacher and feeling completely overwhelmed! School begins in two months, and I'm not sure what I should be doing right now to prepare. How long in advance should I begin planning lessons? I haven't received any pacing guides or anything yet, so I'm feeling pretty lost. Is there anything that I can do (or read) to feel less freaked out about everything? :eek:

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

I love second grade! Go ahead and plan for the first few weeks...getting to know you activities, a few writing projects, games, etc. Think about a discipline plan and every little procedure. Map out your class. If you can get hold of the teaching manuals, think about what the first few months will be like. Plan a few units. Also, you can make a parent handbook and free time activities list.

You can also think about your library and start gettting materials ready for that. Congratulations!

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2007

Is there another 2nd grade teacher in the building that you could contact? Hopefully you will get a friendly co-worker that will help you out.

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 9, 2007

Did you get any textbooks or anything? You could look at the district or state guides as to what your students should be learning in your specific grade. I would say, also, to find another teacher in your building who could help you out. Don't forget to enjoy your time off though.

6. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

Thank you for your responses. :)

To answer your questions.... I will be allowed in my room after July 4th to start setting things up, so hopefully I'll meet some fellow 2nd grade teachers that could give me a better idea of what the heck I should be doing! At this point, I don't have any of my text books, or teacher manuals. I'm assuming that I will not get those things until planning week (the week before school begins) which makes me feel panicked!

I am currently attempting to build up my classroom library, and I will start trying to find "getting to know you" activities for the first week. Thanks!

7. Lotte

Lotte Companion

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 9, 2007

Garage Sales and Yard Sales are great places to get gently used children's books. Many times, if you explain you are a teacher, they will just give them to you.

Good luck with you first year. It will all "come together."

9. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jun 11, 2007

Take a deep breath....let it out slowly. You are going to feel overwhelmed your first year. You want to get started, but not ever having a classroom of your own, you really don't know where to begin. I would suggest you start by reading Harry Wong's "The First Days of School." It is a great way to begin.

You will be surprised how fast time will go...I am now getting ready to begin my 3rd year of teaching...I wish you the best as you get ready for this 1st year. Just remember...you will always have something that needs to be done...and you can't get to all of it at once. Do not try or you will make yourself crazy. Do what you can and leave the rest for another time.

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

Thank you, I'm actually reading Harry Wong's book right now for the second time. :) My logical side tells me to relax, but another part of me worries that I'm going to walk into school EXTREMELY under prepared!

11. flamingolady

flamingolady Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I know how you feel!

:eek:
    I am also a first year teacher and going through the same thing you are. Like you I probably won't get any info until toward the beginning of school. Just hang in there. We will get through this and laugh at the end of the school year!:)