where to begin??? help me! i'm drowning!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missred4190, Oct 25, 2008.

1. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I need some serious help with my schedule--or really what to do with it. Background: I'm a first year 5th grade teacher, self-contained. I teach LA, reading, social studies, science, and math--and have 3 standardized tests to prep my kids for. Yikes, I know. :eek:

I have all 16 kiddos from 8-12:10 each day. We begin with guided Target the Question reading and math from 8-8:40.

I am not strong in math (and neither are my students), so I spend 8:40-9:50 each day on math. I do science from 9:50-11 and then 11-12:10 is reading. I have to hit those 3 in the mornings because of the TAKS test. My kids come back at 1:35 and start being pulled for basic skills and tutoring. I have about 10-12 kids until school is out, ranging from special ed to GT. We use this as enrichment time.

My biggest problem is the reading. I know what I want to do, but I am SO limited in TIME. I have basals but none of the mini-readers that came with the adoption (disappeared with old teacher). I have none of the previous teacher's lessons or anything. I'm reinventing the wheel, and I'm lost.

What would YOU do with that time???? I need to cover reading strategies, fluency, vocab, spelling, ect. How you build your reading program??? The more details, the better. I need HELP!!! Thanks!

3. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I would use the afternoon time for small group instruction. Check into Debbie Diller's books-they are a wonderful resource. Do you not have to teach social studies (I'm sure it's not a tested subject-it's not with us either but we still have to spend some time on the GLE's).

As far as a schedule-I'm 4th but here's mine (I have 26 kids)

9:05-9:20 morning madness! (planner, lunch, morning math)
    9:20-10:10 specials
    10:15-11:15 math
    11:15-11:45 whole group reading (basal)
    11:45-12:30 small groups/workstations (I run two small groups a day)
    12:35 lunch/recess
    1:30-2:00 AR-during this time I do individual conferences
    2:00-2:30 Writing/Word Study
    2:30-3:00 Science
    3:00-3:30 Social Studies/Alternate with Math Focus Groups
    3:45 Dismissal

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 25, 2008

Is there any way you can incorporate reading instruction into other disciplines? Kids are constantly reading in social studies, science, etc. How about doing some sort of independent reading contract with each child since there is such a wide difference in abilities?

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 26, 2008

I agree with runs; incorporate a lot of your reading strategies with your content area reading. I did this when I was self-contained and it worked great; it also freed up time for more writing (do this with content areas also), enrichment, and projects.

While I am not a fan of basals, they usually have a teacher's guide which should help with planning. Have you talked to your supervisor about replacing the lost mini-readers? You should be entitled to a full set of classroom materials.

I use my Scholastic points to buy sets of novels for guided reading groups. They sometimes have decent ones on sale for
    $1.00.

What is happening from 12:10 - 1:35; that seems like a long lunch. Maybe you could add some time here.

6. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Oct 26, 2008

From 12:10-12:35 they have lunch. At 12:35 they go to PE/Specials until 1:35. I do a lot of reading comp and strategies with our science and social studies. I do social studies in the afternoons during enrichment time.

I'll check out the Debbie Diller books too!

I may be worrying too much, but there is so much pressure, and my students really need so much. We are an "inner city" school and are the joke of the city, in a way. We finally got recognized on our state tests last year--to the shock of many. How sad?! These kids deserve so much--especially the chance to catch up.