Where the wild things are

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Chloe G, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Chloe G

Chloe G Rookie

Jan 6, 2010

Has anyone used this text for a literacy unit/study? I am thinking about using it at some stage this year, i've never used it before. If you have did the kids enjoy it or should i go with another text?

3. Chloe G

Chloe G Rookie

Jan 6, 2010

Sorry forgot to mention i am planning to use it with a year 3/4 group

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2010

Our grades 4-6 classes used the book as a jump-off to a writing project they did. I'm not sure of all the details, but can find out some more information for you, if you'd like.

5. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 6, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are is a great text to use with multiple ages. You can call older students' attention to the placement of the words and illustrations on the pages. Also, the movie will be on DVD soon (if it's not already) so you could do a comparison with the text and the movie.

You could also do a Sendak study...although In the Night Kitchen is perhaps inappropriate nowadays...:p

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 6, 2010

I used this book with Kindergarten. Each child created their own WILD THING and then they each wrote a sentence about their wild thing. You can adapt by writing the sentence for your kiddos. Enjoy!

BTW- The Wild Things are in my class!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 6, 2010

Do you mean pre-school or 3rd/4th graders?

I used the book in first grade. We studied lots of books about monsters and then created our own monsters. Several steps - pm me if you want details. It is the most fun unit I've ever done. Includes writing, creating, sm. motor skills. Fun!