Where should I go?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Worker 11811, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

I finally decided that in order to get a teaching position I need to relocate. I know the job market is bad all over but am curious if there is anywhere that teachers are still in demand. I am prepared to move anywhere in the US as this will probably be my last crack at it. I have been able to get by financially the last few years but this year is bad. Our sub pay has been cut and the school is having teachers cover other teacher’s absences during their conference period. Needless to say, the calls are not coming. I should note that during the last two years, I subbed 95% of all teaching days.

One of my mistakes was getting my certification in Social Studies Composite. I have since added Special Education and Math to my certification which has not worked. :dizzy:

So, what part of the country should I be looking?

Thanks in advance

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 13, 2011

I live in California and it's a tough market out here, so I wouldn't recommend California.

4. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Yeah, I'm from California and moved to Texas hoping it would be a little better.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 13, 2011

If you're willing- Alaska. One of my friends just relocated there, but I think it takes a certain kind of person to actually enjoy that kind of environment. She was snatched up in a second for special ed near the city, but said if you're willing to go rural they're desperate for any kind of teacher. It's the one place I just absolutely wouldn't move, personally- but if you really mean anywhere...

6. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Thanks waterfall! I have been thinking of Alaska and love the state. It's my favorite place to vacation. I'm just not sure how I would do with the winter. Thanks for the tip!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 13, 2011

I suggest you add your resume to Teachers-Teachers.com and open your scope nationally. As for what Waterfall suggests, I'm still heavily pondering packing my stuff and trying to find teaching work in Alaska. It's an amazing place with a population I adored when I was able to get away from my tour groups and just talk.

8. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Thank you catnfiddle! I have not heard of Teacher-Teachers. Great info...thanks!

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 13, 2011

Yeah, I live in the rocky mountains (relocated from a much milder climate in the midwest) and I think winter here is WAY too long and harsh, so I wouldn't last a second in Alaska. But if it's truly an area you're interested in, absolutely go for it!

10. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Sep 13, 2011

Just don't come to Dallas!!!!!!!

11. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

I'm already in Dallas :help: I'm trying to get out :)

12. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 13, 2011

I used to live in Dallas as well. I understand completely getting out of there. I am currently in the Austin area. Through a lot of hard work, I have been added to three districts as a sub in addition to the one I subbed with last year. I also work as an instructor at Sylvan and a call center rep at another part time job. I have been on teacher-teachers.com but I cannot remember if I posted my resume up there. Plus I have my husband and our mortgage to consider.

Hmmm Alaska....maybe...though the winter thing...

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 13, 2011

Nebraska almost always has teacher jobs. There are few currently listed on this site, but this summer there were a ton. Schools are always looking for subs too. No one ever wants to live here though-why, I don't know. It's cheap, safe, and the people are nice. :D

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2011

When you say math-- is that secondary math? As in "anything from 7th grade to Calculus" more or less?

15. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Sep 13, 2011

There are often jobs in the Charlotte metro area.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 13, 2011

Mississippi (where I am) and Utah (where I taught before).

17. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Sep 13, 2011

Mississippi Delta area.

18. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

My math cert is for middle school (4-8). My SpEd is EC-12 and my Social Studies is (4-8, 8-12).

19. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I will be looking at all the areas you guys mentioned!

20. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Wow, this is just pitiful.

21. jammer0225

jammer0225 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

Ugh! I'm in Dallas, but not yet certified. This is such depressing news. :(

Maybe it'll be better next year? I hear it 'might' pick up.

22. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Rookie

Sep 13, 2011

It's hard to tell when it will pick up. Just stay positive and get your certification. It will eventually pick back up.

23. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 14, 2011

I'm looking to go to northern VA. They seem to have a lot of positions every year.

24. Boba

Boba Companion

Sep 14, 2011

I hear you! I am credentialed in school counseling (I knew though that the chances of me getting a job in that are slim since graduating and will continue to be for a couple of years I am hoping....) and special ed where people assured me I would always get a job anywhere!

I spent a ton of time and money going to out of state job fairs and getting out of state licensees. Let's see. I am licensed in CA, HI, TN, TX, AK, and NV! Had screening interviews with TN, AK, NV only to get the follow up letter saying due to budget cuts...... you know the rest. I actually did have interviews in HI but the needs were always in rural areas (I didn't really know what rural was until I saw the places where the schools were located). I had to pay a ton of money to TX only to never even get a screening interview after applying to several school districts!

I live in a metropolitan in CA and science, math, and special ed. teachers aren't getting jobs as easy as they did in the past, but some are still getting jobs. Three years ago my phone wouldn't stop ringing from principals to interview me for special ed. jobs. When I go to all the districts' websites now, they are only allowing internal candidates only due to teachers getting laid off and later rehired (which I understand!). Now one of the school districts is hiring special ed. teachers externally, but the few schools remaining are in extremely rough areas with all the problems that go with it (I worked for 2 years in one of these areas and would only consider going back if I was in debt or couldn't afford to eat). I would suggest you forget CA.

I know NV and TN really need special ed. teachers according to their websites, but I don't know anyone from the "inside" who can really back that up. I am willing to go anywhere for school counseling, but only willing to stay in Socal for a special ed. position.

I know in many districts in CA teachers got hired back, but are only receiving long term sub. pay since districts aren't wanting to give out contracts.

Hang in there and if you have any contacts that can hep you, go through them. Like with many jobs, it is how well you are connected to certain people that gets you the job or at least an interview.

25. Boba

Boba Companion

Sep 14, 2011

Oh wanted to mention that I do see ads all the time about teaching English in China, South Korea, UAE, and Taiwan. They don't pay well, but they do pay for your housing, plane ticket, and benefits. Many people that I know who did this loved their experiences. While I am well traveled, I don't think I would last a year so far away from my family and any comforts from the U.S. So if you are more adventurous than me, check that out.

26. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 14, 2011

I make more money in the UAE than I would make in the U.S. and I don't have to pay taxes. But is is a big commitment.

27. Boba

Boba Companion

Sep 14, 2011

Yeah of all the countries I stated, they paid the best. Are you teaching on a base? The teach English in UAE jobs I saw through Craigslist don't pay as much (hah hah....) as jobs in the U.S. , but I think it pays much better there if you get hired directly through a UAE school.

I could never make the commitment to all the countries I saw listed. Many require 2 year commitments. I did have an interview in Israel at an American school which I wanted so bad! I speak some Hebrew, stayed there for months, have contacts, and considered actually moving there for good.

I also know I wouldn't fit in well with the UAE. I have Israeli stamps all over my passport, am Jewish with an Israeli parent, and my regular attire includes shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. ;)

I know Saudi Arabia pays well too and needs teachers, but again not a good fit.

28. Adam

Adam Rookie

Sep 14, 2011

Hi!,

I do the recruiting for a private school in Hangzhou, China, so I'm pretty familiar with the requirements for teaching in China as well as the questions/issues that people face when relocating here. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them

29. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Sep 16, 2011

I am working for the government schools. Our salaries are significantly higher than the private schools here which may be what you saw online. There is a big initiative right now to bring western teachers over here in a push to transition the language of instruction to English, so the salary they offer us is part of their incentive. Most international contracts are 2 years because they want to retain a teacher if they are going to spend the money on flights, visas, housing, etc...
    But you are right, there is probably a place that is better for you- although you may be surprised that many people walk around here in all types of attire! :)